Wedding Invitations & Paper

Please proofread my invitation wording

Also, I've got a year until my wedding, but I'm getting a very good deal through work on the printing if I order within the next few weeks. Is it a bad idea to print so early? Thank you in advance for suggestions and advice!
Here's what I've got:

HAPPILY WE TWO

MyFirst Middle Last  

and

HisFirst Middle Last

HAVE CHOSEN THE FIRST DAY
OF OUR NEW LIFE TOGETHER
AS SATURDAY, THE TWENTY-FIFTH OF APRIL
TWO THOUSAND FIFTEEN

YOU ARE INVITED TO SHARE IN OUR JOY
AS WE EXCHANGE MARRIAGE VOWS
AT THREE O’CLOCK

VENUENAME BANQUET CENTER
1234 STREET NAME RD.
OURCITY, MICHIGAN 09876

Cocktail hour and reception to follow.

Re: Please proofread my invitation wording

• First, I would not print until closer to 6 months. Your timeline or venue could change. Honestly, I ordered mine at 6 months out, and all they did was sit in a box for 3 months.  

Second, I'm sure as you know, this wording is not traditional at all and therefore less formal. Not a big deal unless you are having a formal wedding.

Third, it's kind of awkward phrasing - I personally don't like having the "We set the date!!" AND the "You're invited!!" language both on there. I actually like the "have chosen the first day" language on a STD instead. What about something like this: 

Bride 
    and 
    Groom 

invite you to share in their joy
    as they exchange marriage vows 
    on Saturday, the twenty-fifth of April 
    Two Thousand Fifteen  
    at three o'clock

Venue Name
    City, State

Reception to follow 

You don't actually need the address of your venue on there unless there might be confusion (e.g. two Hilton's in your town).

Fourth, you don't need to list "cocktail hour" separately because the cocktail hour is part of the reception.  
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    I will try to help.  The wedding invitation is a simple note from the hosts  (you) to the guests, telling them who, what, when and where - not why or how.  It should be easily understood.  Never put zip codes on an invitation, and no abbreviations allowed.
    YOU ARE INVITED TO WITNESS THE JOY

AS

First Middle Last  

and

HisFirst Middle Last

ARE UNITED IN MARRIAGE
    SATURDAY, THE TWENTY-FIFTH OF APRIL
    TWO THOUSAND FIFTEEN

AT THREE O’CLOCK

VENUENAME BANQUET CENTER
    1234 STREET NAME ROAD
    OURCITY,  MICHIGAN

Reception to follow

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • EverAferEverAfer member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    Is Reception to follow necessary if you're having ceremony, cocktail hour, reception in the same place, just different rooms/areas?

ETA: sorry to jump your thread.
  • Well, if you didn't put "Reception to follow," many people would leave because they didn't know there was going to be a reception.  I'd play it safe and put it.  What you don't need to put is a new location.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    "Reception to follow" is used when your reception is to be held in the same location (post office address) as the ceremony.  If your reception is in a different location, such as a club or restaurant, you need to use a separate reception card.  You won't need one.  Just put "Reception to follow" on the bottom of the invitation.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thank you all for your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards