Wedding Party
Options

MOH roles?

I have five bridesmaids, but three in particular are extremely close friends that I've had since childhood.  I've known since high school there was no way I could have a MOH at my wedding because there's no way I could choose one above the rest.  That being said, I'm trying to kind of distribute the MOH "honors" or duties between them.  Have one hold the ring and bouquet, have one do the toast at the reception and have one...do something else.  And here is where I'm stuck.  What else is something that is typically given to the MOH?  I know I probably can't balance things perfectly, but it's important to me that all three of them feel like they're being asked to play a special part.  Any suggestions?

Re: MOH roles?

• Options
    nlh85 said:
    I have five bridesmaids, but three in particular are extremely close friends that I've had since childhood.  I've known since high school there was no way I could have a MOH at my wedding because there's no way I could choose one above the rest.  That being said, I'm trying to kind of distribute the MOH "honors" or duties between them.  Have one hold the ring and bouquet, have one do the toast at the reception and have one...do something else.  And here is where I'm stuck.  What else is something that is typically given to the MOH?  I know I probably can't balance things perfectly, but it's important to me that all three of them feel like they're being asked to play a special part.  Any suggestions?

I would leave the toast out of it because that's not really something you ask someone to do. It's like saying, "Hey, can you tell a room full of people how awesome I am and then congratulate me on my marriage?" Weird, right?

You can have one hold the ring.
    One hold the bouquet.
    One sign the marriage license, maybe?
    But don't overthink it. These "tasks" tend to work themselves out the day of.

• Options
    nlh85nlh85 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    Simply Fated said:I would leave the toast out of it because that's not really something you ask someone to do. It's like saying, "Hey, can you tell a room full of people how awesome I am and then congratulate me on my marriage?" Weird, right?
    Hmm.  I hadn't thought of it that way.  I'm partial to the toasts because for me as a guest, that's usually the only part of the reception that I enjoy.  It's more real and less about just being a party.  In many cases, I'm primarily friends with either the bride or the groom, and I don't know the other one nearly as well, so I love hearing someone who
    does know him/her talk about what they're like.  We're from different states, and a lot of my friends and family don't know him very well, and vice versa, so I hate the idea of giving that up. :-/  I'll have to give it some thought.
  • Options
    lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree with Simply Fated that toasts are given in your honor and are not something you request. With that said, it is very likely that someone will ask you if they can give one and you're welcome to accept that honor. I agree with rings, bouquet, license as well.
  • Options
    I had 3 bridesmaids, no MOHs

All 3 of them gave a speech, that was something they did on their own.
    One of them held my bouquet but I had just given it to the one who reached for it.

The best man had the rings.
    We didn't need anyone to sign the marriage license.

Um, yeah don't over think it. It really doesn't matter.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    nlh85 said:
    I would leave the toast out of it because that's not really something you ask someone to do. It's like saying, "Hey, can you tell a room full of people how awesome I am and then congratulate me on my marriage?" Weird, right?
    Hmm.  I hadn't thought of it that way.  I'm partial to the toasts because for me as a guest, that's usually the only part of the reception that I enjoy.  It's more real and less about just being a party.  In many cases, I'm primarily friends with either the bride or the groom, and I don't know the other one nearly as well, so I love hearing someone who does know him/her talk about what they're like.  We're from different states, and a lot of my friends and family don't know him very well, and vice versa, so I hate the idea of giving that up. :-/  I'll have to give it some thought.
    ----------------------------------------
    I'm having quote issues...

If someone offers to give a speech, definitely accept. I just wouldn't automatically assign the task to a specific person, know what I mean?
    As an alternative, maybe you and your fiance could write a short blurb about each other in the programs? Or a paragraph about how you met or how he/you proposed? These things can help give your guests some insight to how you guys are like.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards