May 2014 Weddings

Buying yourself "Bride" stuff?

THERE ARE SO MANY CUTE "Bride", "Bride-to-Be", and "Mrs. [insert your future last name here]" THINGS! Bags, hoodies, etc. I really want to purchase some, but would that be strange? I feel like it's up to the bridesmaids to buy these things but honestly, they've done so much and I don't want them shelling out another penny. 

Is anyone planning on buying or already bought any of the "bride" stuff for yourself? Would you?

Re: Buying yourself "Bride" stuff?

• The only "bride" thing I got was this https://www.etsy.com/listing/174715055/i-got-one-wedding-shirt-for-the-bride?ref=market in a tank top version. My FI got it for me right after we got engaged. :)
    Anniversary
  • I bought a personalized hanger for myself that says "Mrs. FIsLastName". I kind of want to get underwear that say that on them too, but I can't seem to find any that aren't little satin things. I'm worried those are going to ride up and be uncomfortable all day.

Target had hoodies that said bride on them and my sister said I should buy one. I didn't though because I will really only wear it one day. One of my friend's asked me what size shirt I wear though so I'm thinking she may be getting something for the bachelorette party.
  • I got myself the personalized hanger too!  I waited till after my shower I didn't get one so I ordered it myself.  My flower girls made me a "bridal survival kit"  in the basket of goodies was a hot pink bride tanktop.  I wanted that as well and was so glad I got it.

I've seen that hoodie at Target.  It was maybe 19 bucks?  If they have my size the next time I go I'm going to get it for myself.  The VS one is like 80 something bucks.  I can't justify spending that much on something I'll wear once.  I got it for FSIL for her wedding along with a bridal hanger.  I was kinda hoping she would offer for me to borrow hers but whatever.

Anyway after all that rambling I don't see the harm in getting yourself stuff you want.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I bought myself the hanger and will probably be getting the bride hoodie from Target. I am also looking for cute underwear but like a PP said, they're all kind of scandalous lol
  • We are doing a service project (handing out sack lunches to the homeless) on our wedding day and my FH made a good point that if we are all dressed up it may look like we are doing it for the attention & not because we want to & that's where my FH's passion. I asked if he thouht wearing a "bride" shirt would be okay and he agreed.

I decided to make my own because I wanted more than just plain t-shirt or tank top. I found an ivory shirt with beading on clearance at old navy that worked perfectly! I actually finished it last night - I will post a picture when I get home.

• All such awesome ideas! I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes that kind of stuff. I'm definitely the kind of girl that doesn't like spending money on something I'll only wear once, but I KNOW I will always look back and wish that I had splurged. Plus I plan on wearing whatever I get on our honeymoon and around the house for as long as it holds up. My aunt told me about the ones at Target. I'll have to check them out!

windie said:

We are doing a service project (handing out sack lunches to the homeless) on our wedding day

That's so neat! I've never heard of anyone doing that. If you don't mind me asking, what will your wedding day schedule look like? Are you doing that before your ceremony? Such a cool idea!
  • I got the Mrs. FiLastName hanger and also a hoodie to wear to the day-after brunch that is white and says Mrs. FiLastName on the back in rhinestones.  I thought it would be funny to wear that.  So i'm going to. :-)

I also got my bridesmaids monogrammed tervis tumblers as part of their gifts, and i got myself one as with my new initials because i just love tervis tumblers.  that's something that will be used often after the wedding though.  it's not specifically for the wedding or anything.

• hopefully i can explain it on this board better than i did on the offbeat one (i got ridiculed over there!!) We want our first act of marriage to be in service of others, so it will be between the ceremony & reception.

Our ceremony is small, family only (to honor my FH wishes as he doesn't like to be the center of attention) @ 10am but we have invited friends & family (~150) to a dinner receiption. We have also invited people to help us with the service project if they like. There is a box on the RSVP to let us know if they want to help.

We will be meeting about noon to finish putting together the bags (they will include a new pair of socks, emergency blanket, sandwich, chips, maybe a pickle). Then we will be heading out in groups to hand out the bags. We don't want to overwhelm those we want to help, so it wont be all of us together (right now we have about 15 peple who want to help). We plan on doing a "reconnaissense mission" a couple of weeks before the wedding to see where the homeless are at and then we will know where to send the groups. Also - those who are helping will be encourage to take a sandwich themselves for lunch.

We are asking those who want to help to be in casual/normal dress for the service project. After the bags are handed out, there is time to rest & freshed up/get ready for the reception at 5pm. The will give me & my new husband (EEEE!!!) time to get back into our wedding garb & get all fancied up for the reception.

For those few family who are not helping with the project, the gap between ceremony & reception can be used to explore the ceremony site (its a national park & beautiful!) and also rest up [read nap time] (important for the older parents & young nieces & nephews). 

Most of our guests will be joining us for the reception; I do not harbor any ill will to those who do not want to help with the project. They also understand our reasoning for the family only ceremony. And with having almost 50 kids invited - it will be so much eaiser for them to enjoy the party if they haven't sat through a boring (to a kid) wedding.

I've talked it over with my VIPs and they all love what we have planned for the day. I kindly ask that if you disagree with my schedule to please keep it to yourself. (i'm sorry if that seems rude, but i really don't want to read any more bashing; i totally regret posting on the offbeat board & wish i could delete the discussion.)

• I tired to avoid buying anything that specifically said "Bride", "Bride-to-be", etc. mainly because of what @tammym1001 said - you're only gonna wear it for a day. The only "Bride" labeled things I got were tote bag from the Knot (it was on sale for $4!) and I use it to carry/store all of my planning books & vendor folders in to meetings and stuff (was very handy in that purpose of keeping all wedding related things in one convenient spot!). And I also got a "bride" pin, with matching bridesmaids, mother of the bride & mother of the groom pins for everyone to wear at the shower (which we all forgot to do!) and the rehearsal dinner & bachelorette party (both are this weekend). My MOH got me a custom sash that she surprised me with at my shower which said "The Future Mrs. (insert new last name here lol)".....I also plan on wearing this at the bach party. I got myself a monogramed t-shirt to wear the day of the wedding as I'm getting ready with my new initials on it (see photo & please ignore the stupid mirror selfie lol) - I can wear this again & again, and plan on wearing it as my "plane outfit" for when we go on our honeymoon. OH! And I did order myself some personalized thank you cards for my shower (my MOH must have been a mind reader cuz I ordered then before the shower and she didn't know that they said the same thing as the sash- "Thank You from the Future Mrs. [insert new last name here]!).
    Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • @windie that's a great schedule. It's your wedding, so you do what you want. Women on some of these boards are very mean for some reason. This May 2014 board is the only nice one so far that I've seen lol I only post and reply here now.
  • ddvirts said:

@windie that's a great schedule. It's your wedding, so you do what you want. Women on some of these boards are very mean for some reason. This May 2014 board is the only nice one so far that I've seen lol I only post and reply here now.

Thanks @ddvirts that really means a lot.
  • Here's the shirt I made (why do my phone pics post sideways? Sheesh)
  • @windie

That is a beautiful and kind thing you are doing.  If it works for you, your HUSBAND, and your VIPs then the rest is no ones business. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @windie

I'm typically all for no gaps....but there is a huge difference in having no gaps to be a dick and take a bunch of photos while you leave your guests hanging.....and having a gap because you and your family are doing something to better others in your community. If other people don't get that....then they are incredibly stupid.

I seriously doubt there are any etiquette rules about feeding the homeless between your ceremony and reception.
  • thanks @FutureMrsN3312 & @magee2011 i'm thinking i agree with @ddvirts and this is the only nice board out there!
  • Gaps are rather unacceptable. And I highly disagree with the mindset that "It's your wedding-do what you want." Once you have guests, you have a responsibility to be a good host. (This is addressed to the general "you" on the boards-I'm not calling any one person out.)

That being said, if you are having an intimate ceremony and a larger reception, then the only people who will experience a gap will be those who are witnessing your marriage. And you are providing something for them to do, @windie.

To the OP-

It's fine to buy yourself some cute "Bride" thing. If you don't want it after the wedding, you can sell it, or pass it to the next friend who gets married to use in her cure getting-ready pics, or donate it to a cause you support so some lucky bride finds a good deal!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • May I ask where you ladies purchased your Mrs.(Fi'slastname) hangers? They're so cute and I'd love to have a nice hanger for when we have pictures taken while getting ready. I have no idea where to look for them though. Thanks!

• I got mine on Etsy.  The name of the shop is twobroadsdesign.  I got my FSIL's there 2 years ago and the quality and service was just as great.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • windie said:
    thanks @FutureMrsN3312 & @magee2011 i'm thinking i agree with @ddvirts and this is the only nice board out there!

yes. I lurk in other boards, but only post in here! Must being something special about us May Brides :)
  • I bought a hanger for myself that said Mrs and the found out my friend bought one that says Mrs. Last Name. I also got a Kate Spade idiom bracelet from my MOH and an MRS est 05/23/2014 duffel from another MOH. If I saw something I loved, I would, but I'm not wild about that stuff. I love what I've gotten though :)
  • StefA8 said:

May I ask where you ladies purchased your Mrs.(Fi'slastname) hangers? They're so cute and I'd love to have a nice hanger for when we have pictures taken while getting ready. I have no idea where to look for them though. Thanks!

I got this one because of the reviews and price. A lot of the hangers had a decent price but the shipping was pricey. I'm satisfied https://www.etsy.com/transaction/185451546?ref=fb2_tnx_title

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards