Wisconsin
Options

officiant

i live in waukesha but am getting married in milwaukee... does anyone know if a civil servant should be from the county in which you're getting married, or the county in which you live?  same goes for the marriage license.
thanks!

Re: officiant

• Options
    gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I can answer the license part - we are the opposite - live in Milwaukee County and the wedding was in Waukesha County. 

You need to get the license in the county in which one of the two of your live, so Waukesha County for you or the county where your FI lives - pick the one that is the easiest for you.  You only need to apply in one county.  I know Waukesha County has one night a week they are open a little later just for marriage licenses.  Once the wedding is done, the officiant  needs to send the signed license to the county where the wedding took place (Milwaukee).  You will then need to request a certified copy of the license from Milwaukee County (needed for name changes, marriage status changes at work, etc.).  I recommend getting more than one copy.  The first one is $20 and extra copies are just $3.  But you get hit with the higher fee if you go back from more copies later. 

I would call the Waukesha County clerk (WAY more helpful than the MKE one) to ask about the officiant/civil servant (we used a minister).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards