Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Adventurous Couple Needs Ideas: Caribbean or Mexico in November

My FI and I are completely overwhelmed by the number of options.  We want to go to either Mexico or a Caribbean island for 5-6 days in November.  We prefer an all-inclusive resort, but we want some unique / active things to do (ATV riding, water skiing, hiking, zip lining, etc.)  I know most of these excursions are not included in the resort price, but we'd like a place that offers easy access to reasonably priced activities.  We also want lots of good food choices and some fun things to do at night (with other couples in their 20s or 30s).  

I literally have a list of 20+ resorts and I have NO idea how to choose.  Our budget is around $3,000.  Please help!! 

Re: Adventurous Couple Needs Ideas: Caribbean or Mexico in November

• Options
    tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    @chasingsunlight we just booked Secrets Maroma Beach in Mexico... take a look :) there are a lot of posts on here about it too if you use the search feature to the right. 

Your criteria matched ours fairly closely and we are happy with our choice. FI wanted active excursion options, so we are looking forward to the Xplor park and some go kart racing in PDC. I wanted a near perfect beach, and we both wanted several GOOD food options. Check it out and see what you think :)

ETA - I can't read and just noticed your budget, which I'm certain Secrets will be out of your range. Does the 3k include flights? Where are you flying out of? Adults only preferred? The Riviera Maya area offers a lot of AIs that should be within your budget. Depending where you are flying from, flights to the Caribbean can eat up an entire budget.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are flying from the NY / NJ area.  I looked at flights, and for most of the area we can fly for less than $500 each.  We can stretch our budget a little, but November seems to be an off season and the prices we have seen are pretty close to on-budget.  I almost wish they weren't so I could narrow down the list lol.  I'll look at the Secrets though.   We have a few Dreams resorts on the list and I think they are the same company.
  • Options
    Yep they are the same company, Secrets is just the adults only brand... which could impact how far your budget will go. Really, Trip Advisor will be your best friend. I read endless reviews before making a decision. Especially with so many choices, just start reading reviews and you'll be able to cross some off the list fairly easily as you come across red flags/things you don't like in the reviews. If you post the names of some resorts you're looking at people on here might be able to offer some insight :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Can't recommend a specific resort (I didn't love the one I stayed at), but I definitely second the idea of Playa del Carmen. I gave tcnoble some excursion ideas on another thread. There is a lot to do, adventurous and otherwise, and the area is beautiful and safe!
  • Options
    16maybeless16maybeless member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    We are flying from the NY / NJ area.  I looked at flights, and for most of the area we can fly for less than $500 each.  We can stretch our budget a little, but November seems to be an off season and the prices we have seen are pretty close to on-budget.  I almost wish they weren't so I could narrow down the list lol.  I'll look at the Secrets though.   We have a few Dreams resorts on the list and I think they are the same company.
    For the Caribbean, November is right at the tail-end of hurricane season, but as you approach the holidays, prices will go up. So it's not quite as cheap as August, but still a bit better than midwinter pricing. You should be able to find decent deals. Do you sub to Groupon Getaways, Jetsetter, or any other flash-sale travel sites? That might be a start. You have a pretty varied set of interests and seem to want a pretty young, lively atmosphere. I think Riviera Maya is the way to go. Lots of options mean lower prices than most of the Caribbean islands. Definitely more lively. Poke around on TripAdvisor and look at the packages and promotions on each resort's webpage. Often you'll find one-night-free deals or 20-30% off rack rates for the shoulder season, especially in Mexico.
  • Options
    Costa Rica - It is pretty cheap once there. Airfare is not cheap but not too bad. Look in to shared transportation (recommend anywhere costa rica). We went for our HM so stayed at places a little more expensive but there are very descent places that are cheaper. We went to Arenal (Hot Springs/Volcano area). Then we went to the beach - Montezuma. Not a crowded or touristy area. We stayed at Ylang Ylang beach resort but they have a hotel in the small town 10 min walk down the beach which is cheap but you can use all the facilities at Ylang Ylang. There are excursions in both places. Highly recommend Rio Toro rafting (class 3-4) through Disafio. Anywhere Costa Rica tours : Hanging bridges, waterfall hike, volcano NP hike combo. Some discount coupons available from website Pura Vida Eh!.
  • Options
    KCollins41390KCollins41390 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2014
    Literally just got back from our HM on Sunday. We were at Moon Palace which is about 15mins south of Cancun. It was an amazing resort and it was a bargain with the woman we booked through. I think like $1800 for the two of us, everything included, honeymoon package, and $1500 in resort credit that we (I) used in the spa mostly but we also did snorkeling and zip lining and we still had several hundred left to spend had we wanted to do tours or more activities. PM me if you want to contact info for the woman we booked through. She has a membership and sells her weeks cheap--I know it would be even cheaper in November as DH and I considered waiting until the fall to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards