Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding registry etiquette

My fiance and I are purchasing our first home this May and we have been living together for the past 5 years. We have a lot of the items that are traditionally seen on a wedding registry list. We were thinking of registering at Menards but I wanted some input on if it was rude to only scan gift cards at Menards. Our house does need some re-modeling but I don't want it to seem like we are asking for money but I fear that scanning only gift cards it will come off that way...can anyone provide me with some thoughts/tips/advice. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Re: Wedding registry etiquette

• Options
    If you want to register at Menards, please register for actual things like a cordless drill or sawzall and not giftcards.  I had a friend right out of college register at Target for standards like dishes and towels but also for a camping tent and some tools.  I bought the tools and took them to the shower.  Bride (but especially groom) loved it.
  • Options
    Thank you so much! This is the advice I was looking for! I appreciate it. 
  • Options

Scanning giftcards is the exat same thing as asking for money.  especially if you are having a shower.  a few people gave me gift cards at my shower and it was super awkward to be like "it's a gift card!" and hold it up while i was opening my physical gifts.

if you're having a shower, register for actual gifts.

• Options
    If you're going to register, you should register for actual items, not gift cards. People know that money is always an option in terms of a wedding gift, but some people just do not like giving money. If you don't want any physical gifts, just don't register. Yes, you run the risk of getting a few things you don't actually want/need, but the majority of the people will understand and give checks. 
  • Options
    Thank you all for the advice. We don't plan on having a gift opening shower the morning after the wedding, but I agree with the above comments that we should only register for what we need and people can decide whether or not to get a gift card or do cash/check. Thanks again! 
  • Options
    Definitely register for actual gifts if you're going to register.
    If there's anything you want to upgrade. I also don't sideeye things like tools, outdoor equipment, or things for entertaining (like board games). Some people do, but I don't.
    And if you're registered a place, some people will just give you a gift card there on their own. Or cash.

If you're not having a shower your other option could be not registering at all. If people ask say "oh we have all the household things we need. Now we're saving for home improvements."
    most people take that hint.
  • Options
    While I don't think I'd buy you a gallon of paint or a box of nails, I'd totally consider buying a backyard bonfire pit, toolbox, or set of wrenches.  I kinda prefer the non-traditional gift that I'd know you'd use to buying you a gravy boat.
  • Options
    Now I want a sawzall on my registry.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    you'll still end up getting gift cards so I wouldnt worry about it. Just register for actual items that you need. You'll get the gift cards too. Like I registered at Macy's and have gotten a ton of macy's gift cards so far.
  • Options
    magee2011 said:

you'll still end up getting gift cards so I wouldnt worry about it. Just register for actual items that you need. You'll get the gift cards too. Like I registered at Macy's and have gotten a ton of macy's gift cards so far.

Does Macy's do a completion discount? If so that's awesome!

• Options
    My FI and I are both around 40 and had lived independently for many years before we bought a house together 2 years ago.  Not to mention I love to cook so if I wanted a kitchen appliance/gadget/toy I'd already bought it for myself.  :-)  We had everything we needed for our house, so we decided to register for items that we needed to outfit our new to us camper for family vacations.

Roadside Tool Kit
    Lanterns
    Emergency Radio
    Unbreakable dishes/silverware
    Toys and Games to pass the time at the Campground (Laddergolf, frisbee, soccer ball, etc)
    Camp Cookware, etc.

I too would much rather buy something for someone that I know they need and will use vs. the traditional wedding items.

Too bad my FI already has a Sawzall ;-) Thats another great idea!

At any rate, look at the projects you want to do and either register for supplies or tools that you will need to complete the work - so many of those little projects will pop up that you will greatly appreciate anything that will help offset those project costs down the road.
    Anniversary
  • Options

Thank you all for the advice. We don't plan on having a gift opening shower the morning after the wedding, but I agree with the above comments that we should only register for what we need and people can decide whether or not to get a gift card or do cash/check. Thanks again! 

Why would you have a shower after the wedding, let alone the day after? Showers are PRE-wedding parties. I know you're not planning on having one but where would you even get that idea.
  • Options
    Teddy917 said:
    Why would you have a shower after the wedding, let alone the day after? Showers are PRE-wedding parties. I know you're not planning on having one but where would you even get that idea.
    This.  Also, ditto PPs that registering for gift cards is basically asking for cash so it is rude.
  • Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2014
    By "gift opening shower" do you mean something like a day-after brunch where you open your wedding gifts? My family does that so the out-of-town family has more time to hang out with everyone; plus, it's fun to watch the B&G open their wedding gifts. It's usually hosted in their home or one of the parents' homes.

We usually eat leftover wedding cake at the day-after brunch. :)
  • Options
    doeydo said:
    Teddy917 said:
    This.  Also, ditto PPs that registering for gift cards is basically asking for cash so it is rude.
    I wonder if she misspoke.  I know several brides have spoken about opening gifts given AT the wedding, the following morning in front of family and friends.  It often revolves around a "morning after" brunch or other hospitality.  

It is not a tradition done in my area, but I recall threads from brides that question whether they HAVE to do it.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if it's something you automatically get. but we opened a macy's card when we created our registry and we get the "points" from what people purchase off our registry to purchase whatever is left after the wedding :)
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I assumed what the OP meant regarding the "gift opening shower", is that she is registering for gifts that will be received at the wedding, while other posters mentioned a shower, so the OP said there won't be one. 

Agreed- register for items you actually want. But keeping your registry small will let guests know that money is your preferred options, while still giving those who only give physical gifts an option. 
  • Options
    People who know you well will be aware of what you need.  Scanning gift cards is like asking for cash only which is so very wrong.
  • Options
    Teddy917 said:
    My apologies on the language I did not understand that showers are only pre-wedding events. What I meant was having a post-wedding brunch gift opening. Thanks for providing the clarification. 

Thank you to everyone else for posting, it has helped us tremendously!! 
  • Options
    I would also add that Menard's is awesome.  We don't have one close to where I live, but my grandma has one near her house and we always go there when we visit because we're also usually cleaning her gutters, replacing her light fixtures and re-wiring her electrical sockets.
  • Options
    My question is, if you are registering for a honeymoon instead of actual "house" gifts, how does that work with a shower?
  • Options
    My question is, if you are registering for a honeymoon instead of actual "house" gifts, how does that work with a shower?
    It doesn't. You don't want physical gifts = you don't get a shower.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Honeymoon Registries are considered poor etiquette. It's asking for cash. A wedding shower is for physical gifts. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    20% discount for 30 days (give or take) following the wedding and then 15% for a while longer.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards