New Jersey

Venue for smaller wedding in northern NJ

Hello! 

I just got engaged (yay!) and am starting to research venues more seriously. My FI and I anticipate that we'll be having a relatively small wedding, probably no more than 125 guests. I have a feeling we won't meet the minimum at a lot of venues, and that a lot of places will be so big that our group will just feel lost in a large ballroom. 

So, does anyone know of any venues in northern NJ that are good for smaller weddings -- more intimate atmosphere, not too big of a guest minimum, etc.? Thanks in advance!

Re: Venue for smaller wedding in northern NJ

• What is your budget? There's a wide range of venues, but they vary in price.

I got married at Black Bear Golf Club, one of the Crystal Springs/Mountain Creek properties. We had invited 150, but ended up with about 102 guests. The venue was amazing all around and had an intimate feel to it. The package we went with had a 100 guest minimum, while other packages they offer require a revenue minimum. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My wedding was at the Grand Marquis. I invited 120. I had 90 including myself and the groom.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • We haven't set a definitive budget yet, but I think the most we'd want to spend is around $135/per person and we'd prefer to keep it closer to $100/per person.

As a more general question, have you found that venues are forthcoming about their prices over phone or email, or do you have to visit the place for them to tell you? I'd hate to visit a venue and really like it and then find out it's not really doable.
  • Some places will give you price/menu samples via phone or email, abd some won't. I found that the ones who were willing to give price were more in my price range than those that wouldn't ( my price/person is similar to yours). We ended up going with the Colonial Inn in Norwood NJ. Tommy, the manager has been fabulous to work with and the food is awesome. Our wedding is on a Friday in Sept, 125 person guarenteed and we got a quote that would fit the budget you mentioned above. I would reccommend giving them a call and going for a tour. Good luck!!
  • We got married at The Graycliff and had a 100 person minimum on a Saturday night. They have packages that start at $80 pp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The Views at Mt. Fuji. It's technically in NY - just over the border from the Mahwah area. My sister had her wedding there last fall on a Saturday evening and only had about 80 guests (although the room definitely fits more). She paid around $120pp.
  • 125 is not that small.  If you find your venue has a bigger minimum, possibly doing a Sunday or Friday night wedding helps to open it up.  Farmstead, Graycliff, Lafayette House, Olde Mill Inn are just a few that have lower than typical minimums.
  • I am having a smaller wedding inviting around 120 guests and we looked at the liberty house in jersey city, The Brownstone in Paterson and the Highlawn Pavilion. We decided to go with the Highlawn and only had to guarantee 75 guests for a Friday night wedding. Hope the info helps  
  • I am having a Sat night wedding and only had to guarantee 100 at Primavera Regency in Stirling and they are within your budget. The food is amazing and they only have 1 event per night which was super important to me.
  • Tyneequa85Tyneequa85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2014
    The Tides Estate would fit your budget...I am getting married there next Saturday evening with a guarantee of 100 guests.

www.thetides.com
  • I am having my wedding at The Madison Hotel in Morristown, NJ in their conservatory.  It's gorgeous and intimate. 

www.madisonhotelweddings.com
  • I am also getting married at the Highlawn Pavillion! The food is amazing the views of New York are breath taking. They have an out door and indoor ceremony area. They throw in a lot for the price and you don't have to guarantee a lot of people.
  • I was a bridesmaid at my friend's wedding at Ravello's in East Hanover. It was awesome! I'd highly recommend them since she had a great experience. The minimum is 75 guests I believe. 
  • I second the tides! My Friday night minimum is 75 guests. Also don't be afraid to ask or negotiate for a lower minimum. If someplace wants your business they'll be willing to work with you!
  • Tides is really nice. My cousin had her wedding which was less than 100 ppl there. Food was so good! You could also check out the upstairs room at Seasons.
  • Congratulations on your engagement Downtondiva!!!

I too am looking for a smaller venue with approx the same number of guests.  A lot of these suggestions helped a ton! THANK YOU! :) 

Hope you were able to book a venue that you love!!!! :)

Danielle

• downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    dzecca said:

Congratulations on your engagement Downtondiva!!!

I too am looking for a smaller venue with approx the same number of guests.  A lot of these suggestions helped a ton! THANK YOU! :) 

Hope you were able to book a venue that you love!!!! :)

Danielle

Thank you so much! Yes, we did book a venue we really love and I'm very glad to be done with the search. I appreciate everyone's suggestions. :) 

Best of luck with your search -- I hope you and your FI will find a venue that you love as much as FI and I love ours.
  • Thank you!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards