Registry and Gift Forum

duplicate mixers help

hyechica81hyechica81 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
edited April 2014 in Registry and Gift Forum
so i got two kitchenaid mixers  from my shower this past weekend, my mixer was registered at macys and one of them has the macys return label on it and the other one does not..

my grandma who purchased the macys one got it the same day my shower invites went out. so there is no way the second gift giver could have gotten the mixer unless they saw it on the registry when they got our save the dates and went to our wedding website. we also registered at bed bath and beyond and i am thinking that's where the mixer came from. ( but the mixer was on the macys registry and not bb) the receipt that was attached to the mixer got lost in the shuffle of moving the items from the venue to the cars.

so does anyone know if bb will take back the second mixer without a receipt?

i also got a few other gifts that were duplicates and for some reason they were not taken off the registry or someone found the same item cheeper elsewhere and bought it

Re: duplicate mixers help

•  You could always call the store, and let them know you received 2 mixers at your shower, and want to return one of them, but don't have a receipt, and see what they say? I doubt you'll get $ back, and will likely get a store credit of some sort. (I find a lot of stores do in-store credit for returns without receipts). Obviously these stores carry items that you like, so you can either grab something you know you'll use/need instead, or save it until after the wedding, and get something from your registry you didn't receive as a gift. :)

*J
  • Assuming the mixers were the same color/style/brand/model I would return the one with the Macy's return label to make things easy.  Save the store credit until after the wedding where you will have the 20% completion discount.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2014
    ok so i attempted to return the mixer that was not purchased at macys, i went to bby and they said its not there mixer they dont carry that color, ( mine is the stainless steal) she attempted to scan it and it did not come up in the system.  my grandma purchased hers at macys at a blowout sale and got hers for 150 .classic plus 4.5 quart

i know target had a good deal on the mixer a few months ago i am thinking maybe that's where the second one came from. if so the receipt  would have expired already and target has a policy where you can only return items under 75 without a receipt

now my issue is if i return the Macy one using my regiestry will i get the 150 for the mixer or will i get the full value of the mixer  current selling price? 349.99
  • ok so i attempted to return the mixer that was not purchased at macys, i went to bby and they said its not there mixer they dont carry that color, ( mine is the stainless steal) she attempted to scan it and it did not come up in the system.  my grandma purchased hers at macys at a blowout sale and got hers for 150 .classic plus 4.5 quart

i know target had a good deal on the mixer a few months ago i am thinking maybe that's where the second one came from. if so the receipt  would have expired already and target has a policy where you can only return items under 75 without a receipt

now my issue is if i return the Macy one using my regiestry will i get the 150 for the mixer or will i get the full value of the mixer  current selling price? 349.99
    You could probably still return it to Target for store credit.  I would ask them.

As for if you return it to Macy's.  You will only get back what was paid for the item not the current selling price.  That would be poor business in Macy's part to give you back more then what was paid.

• target wont even take it back unless its an item under 75.00 its there policy. i am most likely going to have to return the one my grandma gave me and keep the other one
  • FYI... Macy's friends and family sale starts Wed 4/30.  With most things 25% off.  You may get less back for the mixer but with a 25% off discount I would still use it to pick out another nice appliance on my registry.

I'm going to pick up our griddle on Wed with gift cards from my shower and the discount.  Very excited!

• macys says i will get what the giver paid for it so if my grandma got it on the blow out sale at 150 i will get 150 no less no more than that.

i am going to see if the other mixer was purchased at khols as a last effort to return it for store credit
  • Was the person who gave you the other mixer also at your shower?  If she saw you open two mixers, she knows obviously you are returning one, and she's the person who didn't use the registry, so I don't think it's a problem to ask her where she got it.  She knows you have to return it.
  • jneen101 said:

Was the person who gave you the other mixer also at your shower?  If she saw you open two mixers, she knows obviously you are returning one, and she's the person who didn't use the registry, so I don't think it's a problem to ask her where she got it.  She knows you have to return it.

This makes me feel iffy as a guest. Perhaps you could phrase it like "I want to get matching accessories, where'd you get it from?!"
  • Was the person who gave you the other mixer also at your shower?  If she saw you open two mixers, she knows obviously you are returning one, and she's the person who didn't use the registry, so I don't think it's a problem to ask her where she got it.  She knows you have to return it.
    This makes me feel iffy as a guest. Perhaps you could phrase it like "I want to get matching accessories, where'd you get it from?!"
    I wouldn't lie about it. She got a duplicate gift. She obviously doesn't have any use for 2 kitchenaid mixers. I don't think there is any harm in telling the other person that someone else bought you the same thing so you need to return one and ask where they got it.

OP, I feel like you think that Macy's is wrong for not giving you back the full price of the mixer. That's silly. They can only give you back what the person who bought it paid for it so of course if you return it there they aren't going to give you any less or any more. They are going to give you exactly what they got for it. That's how returns work everywhere.
  • Yeah, I mean it would be rude if you just didn't like the mixer and said "I don't really like it and I want to return it."  The person saw her open two identical mixers.  I'm sure that person can't possibly think she is keeping both.  And that person didn't use the registry, which was really dumb anyway. 
  • both people were at the shower. i didnt feel right returning my grandmothers gift, and i didnt feel right asking the cousin to send me a receipt i went to khols and in fact they did carry the mixer but online and they have a no hassle return policy so i was able to get 170 for it on a gift card.

i didnt think macys was wrong i was just inquiring how the returns work in terms of a gift registry. i now understand you get what the person paid for it back   
  • So they both watched you open identical mixers and neither one said "Sorry I didn't use your registry, I know you will need to return mine."  Do they think you need two?
  • jneen101 said:
    So they both watched you open identical mixers and neither one said "Sorry I didn't use your registry, I know you will need to return mine."  Do they think you need two?

@jneen101 OP said "the receipt that was attached to the mixer got lost in the shuffle of moving the items from the venue to the cars." 

I'm assuming the person that went off registry was kind enough to provide the gift receipt.  Unfortunately, it got lost---if not this entire post may have been a non-issue.

• I still don't understand how you could buy something without checking it off the registry, watch someone open an identical present, and sit mute instead of saying "whoops sorry I didn't use your registry and now you have to return my mixer."
  • jneen101 said:
    I still don't understand how you could buy something without checking it off the registry, watch someone open an identical present, and sit mute instead of saying "whoops sorry I didn't use your registry and now you have to return my mixer."
    We got three George Forman Grills.  One from where we registered. One from Kohl's because apparently MIL only shops at Kohl's.  One from who knows where.  We kept the one from who knows where and returned the other two.  I'm assuming the one from where we registered was bought last.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When people watched you open three George Formans, did anyone say "oh shit my bad for not using your registry, please return mine" or did everyone just say "ooooh a George Forman!!!"
  • jneen101 said:
    When people watched you open three George Formans, did anyone say "oh shit my bad for not using your registry, please return mine" or did everyone just say "ooooh a George Forman!!!"
    Nobody watched me open them.  I didn't have a shower.  MIL delivered hers to DH's house the day before the wedding.  One was left on the gift table at the reception and the other was shipped to my house from the store it was purchased from.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •  
    mysticl said:
    jneen101 said:
    When people watched you open three George Formans, did anyone say "oh shit my bad for not using your registry, please return mine" or did everyone just say "ooooh a George Forman!!!"
    Nobody watched me open them.  I didn't have a shower.  MIL delivered hers to DH's house the day before the wedding.  One was left on the gift table at the reception and the other was shipped to my house from the store it was purchased from.  
    Oh okay, well that makes sense then!  The OP had a shower so I'm just wondering how it went down.
  • Sometimes the registries are glitchy. Sometime people buy the best deal.

If I was a guest and gave a gift and it was a duplicate I would not shout out "my bad, please return mine." It's a gift and I would trust the bride to return or exchange it as needed. I also wouldn't think twice about which one she returned. 

In my mind I would have given her a mixer. If it's the same exact mixer I don't see how it matters which one you return, they both still gave you a mixer. It's not like it was engraved with a personalized note or something :-p
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• true i just think she should have told my mom or someone that them mixer was purchased then my mom could have accessed my registry and taken it off or said hey your getting a mixer as a gift so i could have removed it.

when the second mixer was opened everyone was like omg you have to mixers you can really whip up some cupcakes. ( i am known for my crazy and unique cupcakes)

i did have some gifts that were not taken off the registry and i got doubles of so i returned them as well. but then they ended up showing up as not purchased on my registry so i had to take those off last night.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards