Wedding Etiquette Forum

Digitized Handwriting for TY Cards?

2»

Re: Digitized Handwriting for TY Cards?

• TerriHugg said:
    Were you at the Wedding Salon show event yesterday? I was there and saw this company. While, I prefer handwritten thank you notes I wouldn't side eye a typed one that looked handwriting. It's better than no card at all. As long as the message is personalized for me I'm happy. 

I'm so sick of thank you cards that you can tell were basically carbon copies of the others with just a few words changed. I take personalized messages seriously and spent a considerable amount of time making sure each message in my thank you notes to guests were personalized for each person. 
    I am not saying that carbon copies are a good thing but how would guests really know?  Unless it is a silly photo with the tag line "Thank you for spending the day with us" and that is it, then guests really won't know that their TY is similar to the others.

• Also, I want to add that if I knew you had RA issues (or any kind of physical discomfort issues that make writing a challenge, like carpal tunnel or whatever), I wouldn't AT ALL side-eye a typed TY note. I'd just be pleased to have gotten one.

On Pg. 37 of 'Miss Manners' Guide to Rearing Perfect Children,' a couple wrote to her to say that between the first of April and the middle of May they sent out nine gifts for various things -- weddings, babies, graduations, birthdays -- and received in return eight thoughtfully worded thank-you notes and one thank-you phone call from a dear friend with MS who can no longer write. (Miss Manners replied that their letter to her was also a gift and she was very grateful to them for having told her that people still thanked other people.)

If Miss Manners is OK with non-written thank-yous due to medical reasons, you know it's copacetic.
    I would side-eye a typed note because that would tell me that her H wouldn't step up to the plate and help his new wife write thank you notes to THEIR guests.
    Agreed.  I wouldn't be angry, but I would judge the hell out of him.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ew, my handwriting as a font?  My handwriting is shit.  Now even the stuff I type can be illegible, lol.  

A question about finding typed cards rude, is it just that pen isn't hitting paper or is it that (Since I assume it would be easy to do this) they tend to seem copy and pasted and the writing itself isn't as genuine?  I'm trying to figure out how to avoid using my shitty handwriting on anything wedding related, because it looks like crap and is hard to read.  And I don't want to make FI do all of the writing either.  

If a note is really heartfelt and you could tell it was written for you, would you still mind it not being handwritten?  Or if the handwriting was really bad would you mind?
  • Ew, my handwriting as a font?  My handwriting is shit.  Now even the stuff I type can be illegible, lol.  

A question about finding typed cards rude, is it just that pen isn't hitting paper or is it that (Since I assume it would be easy to do this) they tend to seem copy and pasted and the writing itself isn't as genuine?  I'm trying to figure out how to avoid using my shitty handwriting on anything wedding related, because it looks like crap and is hard to read.  And I don't want to make FI do all of the writing either.  

If a note is really heartfelt and you could tell it was written for you, would you still mind it not being handwritten?  Or if the handwriting was really bad would you mind?
    This.  When you see things that are typed out and printed from a printer one assumes that things are easily copied and pasted.  Even if you tend to write the same thing in your TY cards, writing by hand makes it feel more personal and that you took some time do it rather then just running them through a printer.  Which is why addressing envelopes for invites by hand is better then printing from a computer.  Just feels more personal.

• @JCBride2014, my dad has RH, you have my deepest sympathies. I would certainly not side eye a typed thank you from someone who has something like that. Or any of the other issues mentioned. I mostly have a problem when I just don't receive one at all. 

I went to a friend's wedding, designed and printed her invitations, thus saving her thousands of dollars (She sent out about 400 invites.) Even bought her a little something right before the wedding from her registry. I never received a thank you note. She's preggo now, guess who is NOT getting a present!?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards