Wedding Etiquette Forum

3 weeks before weddig...BM gown doesnt fit! Advice?

Good morning all! A dear friend who is also a one of my bridesmaids recently informed me that her gown does not fit! She has had it almost 2 months and only tried it on last week. Her worst fear proved true. It does not fit. She has gained 20+ lbs. She plans on seeing a seamstress this week. She does not know this, but I spoke to 2 seamstress about it (different stores).  They asked me questions and I showed them a pic. Both told me that it could not be altered to a bigger size!! I am so heart broken for her (at the thought she will be told this)!

Before I spoke with seamstresses, I told "M" that if she felt more comfortable (arms) she could add drop sleeves and maybe even a corset back. She expressed that she didnt want to be obviously different then the other bridesmaids.

So, I am here with a though/question! My MOH (sis) is wearing a different gown. Im wondering if we get another different gown Off rack-same color) for "M" is there a different "title" I can give her? Then there would be "reason" for the difference! I cant make her another MOH...that would hurt my sister but is there something else? I know this is all semantics....but in this case, I believe it would help her. She doesnt want to drop from wedding and there is no way we can order the same gown in a bigger size (only 3 weeks till wedding) so Im trying to be creative here!!!

Hoping to have a "save" to offer up if/when she is told that nothing can be done to her gown! :)

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif

Re: 3 weeks before weddig...BM gown doesnt fit! Advice?

• Good morning all! A dear friend who is also a one of my bridesmaids recently informed me that her gown does not fit! She has had it almost 2 months and only tried it on last week. Her worst fear proved true. It does not fit. She has gained 20+ lbs. She plans on seeing a seamstress this week. She does not know this, but I spoke to 2 seamstress about it (different stores).  They asked me questions and I showed them a pic. Both told me that it could not be altered to a bigger size!! I am so heart broken for her (at the thought she will be told this)!

Before I spoke with seamstresses, I told "M" that if she felt more comfortable (arms) she could add drop sleeves and maybe even a corset back. She expressed that she didnt want to be obviously different then the other bridesmaids.

So, I am here with a though/question! My MOH (sis) is wearing a different gown. Im wondering if we get another different gown Off rack-same color) for "M" is there a different "title" I can give her? Then there would be "reason" for the difference! I cant make her another MOH...that would hurt my sister but is there something else? I know this is all semantics....but in this case, I believe it would help her. She doesnt want to drop from wedding and there is no way we can order the same gown in a bigger size (only 3 weeks till wedding) so Im trying to be creative here!!!

Hoping to have a "save" to offer up if/when she is told that nothing can be done to her gown! :)
    She doesn't want to be different from the other BMs but you think making up a random title since she will be wearing a different dress would make her feel better?  I doubt it.  I think you need to just talk to your friend.  Let her know that it doesn't matter what she wears that you want her up there with you on your wedding day.  But in the end it is her decision as to what she does.  Think trying to think of a different title will make her feel like she is sticking out even more then if she had a different dress.  Let this be your BMs decision on what she would like to do.

• LAM524 said:
    Good morning all! A dear friend who is also a one of my bridesmaids recently informed me that her gown does not fit! She has had it almost 2 months and only tried it on last week. Her worst fear proved true. It does not fit. She has gained 20+ lbs. She plans on seeing a seamstress this week. She does not know this, but I spoke to 2 seamstress about it (different stores).  They asked me questions and I showed them a pic. Both told me that it could not be altered to a bigger size!! I am so heart broken for her (at the thought she will be told this)!

NO! You can't give her a fake title because she can't fit in her dress. I would find that terribly offensive...for her! Let her talk to the seamstress on her own.  There may be a solution, or see if you can rush a new dress order.  There's always ways to fix things but singling her out because she put on weight is not going to help...
  • Agree with Maggie and LDay.  Reiterate to M that having her there with you matters more than the dress she is wearing.  Let her talk to the seamstress she is most comfortable using and see what her options are going to be.  If the dress isn't fixable as is, let her wear any dress in the same color or see if you can find the dress you picked in the right size through eBay or one of the pre-owned sites or classified boards.

Depending on the color and material, and how much work is needed to resize the dress, it may also be worth a trip to the fabric store to see if buying extra material would allow a seamstress to make and add panels to the original dress.

But I definitely agree this is M's decision to make - including choosing to do nothing and thus stepping down - and she shouldn't be given a fake honorary title or anything like that.
    Anniversary

• Please do not make up a title for her. That's not going to solve the problem.

Sit her down and tell her that it matters more to you that she's there with you on your big day than what she's wearing.

How many BMs are you having? If she changes her dress, and the MOH is in another dress, are there then still two BMs who would be in matching dresses? If you can have them all in different dresses, it won't look weird, it will look planned.

If you are having other BMs, can you go to one of them, privately, and explain there was a mishap with the dress (don't say what it is) and you'd really appreciate it if she would wear a different dress than the one she bought -- you'll pay for it, of course -- so that it looks like the mis-matching was planned.

If a bride friend came to me three weeks before her wedding and asked this, and offered to pay for the dress, I would do it, no questions asked. 

I agree, though, that it's M's decision. Her choices are:
    1. Wear a different dress entirely, in the same colour palette, and co-ordinate but not match.
    2. Have the dress altered, thus looking different than the other BMs. With three weeks to go, though, this is a risky move.
    3. Drop out of the wedding, which it sounds like she might want to do but doesn't know how to tell you that.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Thanks all-this is why I love you guys!!!!  The reason I was thinking different title was because she said she wasnt the MOH and will be listed as BM, so she cant look different. I thought different title-different gown-she would feel its acceptable and be more comfortable. Oh wel! My next thought was-off the rack gown!

I do recognize she feels uncomfortable with her weight and did have many heart to hearts with her...non wedding relating...trying to build her up. This morning, I spoke with her after she text that she is angry and upset with herself and worried about gown not working out.  I told her that I understand her and if she felt she wanted to step down, I would totally understand but first things first and advised she go ASAP. She INSISTS that she wants to stand up with me/us. We are very close and I believe her. Also, her husband and 3 children are in it, and I know she wants to have this experience with them also.

@delujmo...she started a new-wonderful job supervising children in foster care during visitations with family members. She also picks them up/drop them off..and brings them to doctors appts etc. So she is literally sitting all day...and driving all day. She started eating/snacking during the car rides which can be 3 hrs at one trip (round). She did know she gained weight and that is exactly why she avoided putting it on! Avoidance! (I actually was nervous because the gain is very obvious in her gut area). Actually, I dont know how long she would have waited. When I found out I urged her to bite the bullet and try it on.

@HisGirlFriday13..there are 7 BM's. Great idea in asking one to switch but I'd have to ask more then one and I know they would but I simply just can not afford to purchase them at this point. :( Ugh! I just feel so bad for her. I know what that feels like!

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • OK, well, with 7 BMs, my suggestion is not really feasible.

The only option, at this point, would be to make her a co-MOH, and put her in a different dress because of that.

It's not an ideal solution, and it might offend your sister/MOH, or it might offend other BMs, and I'm not sure I'd do it if it were me, but it's an option.

I'm sorry. (((HUGS)))
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I went to a wedding that had a Maid of Honor and a Best Woman. It was a perfect title for the two sisters and none of the other BMs were bothered by it. Maybe try that?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Yes @ Grabows14..I def. agree and suggested that. Again, she said she didnt want to look different. So...if it comes down to it..and corset can be done....I will attempt to make her comfortable with this choice. If she doesnt come around, then I will suggest another gown purchase but that expense will have to be hers.

• I would look into purchasing a used dress ASAP.  It can be a back up plan if the alterations with a seamstress don't work.  Tell her you don't care what alterations have to be made (corset or added panels) but you want her to stand up for you.
  • Have you tried the bridal shop you ordered the dresses from? Sometimes they have the dress that they use for trying on that you can buy off the rack. I did that once. I ordered the size 8. It was a little tight. Rather than pay to have it taken out last minute the store switched me for the size 10 they had for trying on purposes. It's a long shot, but might work.
  • LAM524 said:
    Thanks all-this is why I love you guys!!!!  The reason I was thinking different title was because she said she wasnt the MOH and will be listed as BM, so she cant look different. I thought different title-different gown-she would feel its acceptable and be more comfortable. Oh wel! My next thought was-off the rack gown!

I do recognize she feels uncomfortable with her weight and did have many heart to hearts with her...non wedding relating...trying to build her up. This morning, I spoke with her after she text that she is angry and upset with herself and worried about gown not working out.  I told her that I understand her and if she felt she wanted to step down, I would totally understand but first things first and advised she go ASAP. She INSISTS that she wants to stand up with me/us. We are very close and I believe her. Also, her husband and 3 children are in it, and I know she wants to have this experience with them also.

@delujmo...she started a new-wonderful job supervising children in foster care during visitations with family members. She also picks them up/drop them off..and brings them to doctors appts etc. So she is literally sitting all day...and driving all day. She started eating/snacking during the car rides which can be 3 hrs at one trip (round). She did know she gained weight and that is exactly why she avoided putting it on! Avoidance! (I actually was nervous because the gain is very obvious in her gut area). Actually, I dont know how long she would have waited. When I found out I urged her to bite the bullet and try it on.

@HisGirlFriday13..there are 7 BM's. Great idea in asking one to switch but I'd have to ask more then one and I know they would but I simply just can not afford to purchase them at this point. :( Ugh! I just feel so bad for her. I know what that feels like!
    Huh?

The MOH does not have to have a totally different dress from all the other BMS, and the BMs don't all have to be in the exact same dress.  SO what if this friend has a dress that doesn't match the other BMs?  No one is going to care.

Titles are just words in the program.  There's no difference between the MOH and the BMs anyways, unless you are having a Catholic ceremony and the MOH is the only one to stand at the altar with you.  Otherwise they all do the exact same thing- hold a bouquet and walk down an aisle.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Have you tried searching ebay or other preowned dress sites for the dress in the size she needs?
  • For my friend's wedding, one BM was pregnant and ordered one size up from her usual dress. She was told several times this was probably not going to work and that it's better to order too big than too small. She didn't. She waited till 2 weeks before the wedding to try it on. She couldn't get into it...obviously and it was not alterable.

We went to the bridal shop and they had something in stock that fit, different dress, same color, same mfg. She grabbed it.

I don't think anyone cared that she was in a different dress. The bride was happy. We didn't change her title.

I think it's an acceptable option to offer if she can't get it altered. Otherwise, she won't be in your wedding.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Ditto the suggestion of looking for a gently used dress.  We can help you if you tell us what dress/color/size you need.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest

• LAM524 said:

Thanks all-this is why I love you guys!!!!  The reason I was thinking different title was because she said she wasnt the MOH and will be listed as BM, so she cant look different. I thought different title-different gown-she would feel its acceptable and be more comfortable. Oh wel! My next thought was-off the rack gown!

Huh?

The MOH does not have to have a totally different dress from all the other BMS, and the BMs don't all have to be in the exact same dress.  SO what if this friend has a dress that doesn't match the other BMs?  No one is going to care.

Titles are just words in the program.  There's no difference between the MOH and the BMs anyways, unless you are having a Catholic ceremony and the MOH is the only one to stand at the altar with you.  Otherwise they all do the exact same thing- hold a bouquet and walk down an aisle.

I think she's saying her BM doesn't want to look different, not that she ( the bride) doesn't want the BM to look different.
  • One of my BMs has gained weight since the ordering of dresses, too. She can get in the dress, but not really move around. We will use extra material from another BM's dress to add panels if we have to. Otherwise, she can wear anything she likes. To me, and this is just my opinion, it is better for her to stand with me than wear the dress. However, I completely understand not wanting someone to not be in "the" dress. In my case, each of my maids picked their own dress, in my color, so I would just check bridal shops to find her an off-the-rack one if I could.
  • foxishfoxish member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    If she can get it in a close color, I don't see this as being a big deal.  I once was at a wedding where they were coming from all over the country so they just picked a color and length and whatever dress.  5 BM and a MOH and 3 of them had the same dress so two said they felt weird because they were "the odd ones out."  NO ONE NOTICED.

LAM524  I feel for you.  I do.  You have a lot going on.  But I think that the best thing for you is to let the BM handle this situation.  Tell her you don't care if panels are added, corset back is added, whatever.  Because no one will care or notice.  If she wants to find a new dress off rack, get it altered, whatever.  Then don't worry about it at all.  If she shows up in a dress that matches, great, she stands up front.  If not, then she can attend as a guest.  Don't try to read anything into her intentions or try to interpret them.  If you let all these problems get you worried or worked up, it distracts from the main event - you marrying your FI.
  • Try ordering extra fabric from the dress company.... We did that for a pregnant BM and put on panels... No one knew the difference:)
  • she needs to take the dress to the seemstress to see what can be done just showing a photo  really does not work because they would have to see the dress in person..

one of my maids cant get hers zipped up it stops right at where the bra band connects, shes taking it to a seemstress where she lives ( shes out of state) to see if anything can be let out a bit
  • foxish said:
    If she can get it in a close color, I don't see this as being a big deal.  I once was at a wedding where they were coming from all over the country so they just picked a color and length and whatever dress.  5 BM and a MOH and 3 of them had the same dress so two said they felt weird because they were "the odd ones out."  NO ONE NOTICED.

LAM524  I feel for you.  I do.  You have a lot going on.  But I think that the best thing for you is to let the BM handle this situation.  Tell her you don't care if panels are added, corset back is added, whatever.  Because no one will care or notice.  If she wants to find a new dress off rack, get it altered, whatever.  Then don't worry about it at all.  If she shows up in a dress that matches, great, she stands up front.  If not, then she can attend as a guest.  Don't try to read anything into her intentions or try to interpret them.  If you let all these problems get you worried or worked up, it distracts from the main event - you marrying your FI.
    This.  At some point you just have to throw up your hands and step away.  In the end this is on your BM.  She is the one who waited so late and she is the one not willing to wear something slightly different (which is not a big issue) to stand up in your wedding.  Just let her deal with it.

• I realize I am new here and you guys are going to find out I'm super laid back about this stuff. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm old (not that old 33 y/o). However this particular matter is one where I am apparently an a-hole. I'm a fat girl, I just am. My weight constantly fluctuates due to medication. I can be 40+ bigger and smaller at any point and quickly at that. If I were a bridesmaid I would absolutely purchase a size or maybe 2 up so that it could be altered down if necessary.

IMHO this wonderful friend has unfortunately earned herself a ticket into the audience. You can't have one bridesmaid in a different dress than everyone else, that will look quite odd. I think it is time to have a heart to heart and tell her that while you love her very much, she made a poor decision and you'd love to honor her in a different way and then maybe take a few special pictures with her where you pay for them and have one framed as a gift. Or something. I'm sure you'll figure it out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Would adding a corset back to the dress help?  I know she said she didn't want to do that because then the dress would be "different" than everybody else's, but what if 1-2 of the other BMs would be willing to add a corset back to their dresses (with you offering to pay for the additional alteration, of course)?  Then it would look more like it was an option that some BMs chose and some didn't.

Personally, I do find it a little weird your friend isn't willing for her dress to be a bit different in order to solve the problem.  If I were a guest, it would barely register if BM's dresses were slightly different from each other.  I certainly wouldn't think something like, "Oh, look at that BM who is the only one with a corset back.  What's wrong with her/dress?"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I realize I am new here and you guys are going to find out I'm super laid back about this stuff. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm old (not that old 33 y/o). However this particular matter is one where I am apparently an a-hole. I'm a fat girl, I just am. My weight constantly fluctuates due to medication. I can be 40+ bigger and smaller at any point and quickly at that. If I were a bridesmaid I would absolutely purchase a size or maybe 2 up so that it could be altered down if necessary.

IMHO this wonderful friend has unfortunately earned herself a ticket into the audience. You can't have one bridesmaid in a different dress than everyone else, that will look quite odd. I think it is time to have a heart to heart and tell her that while you love her very much, she made a poor decision and you'd love to honor her in a different way and then maybe take a few special pictures with her where you pay for them and have one framed as a gift. Or something. I'm sure you'll figure it out.
    Who the fuck cares if she is wearing a different dress. Your BMs are not chosen to wear a fucking dress. They are chosen because they are your nearest and dearest and you want them to stand up for you. That is the purpose of a bridal party. Not matching dresses, not gender, not even sides.  Let the friend wear whatever the fuck she wants and support her because she is your friend and it wasn't an intentional dis at the bride. Shit happens. Be an understanding and caring friend. 

Damn, I told all my girls to get navy floor length dresses and if one showed up in a shorter dress or different color, my parents would have a heart attack, but I would still let her stand up with me. Each and every one of these girls is there because I love them and they support my FI and I. Why the fuck would I get hung up on what she is wearing? It affects me in no way.

Exactly.  Most if not all of my BMs, will probably be in a different dress than the next because I just gave them colors and a length and said "Have at it!"  These ladies are all different heights, weights, and ages and there was no way a single dress style would look flattering on everybody.  My main concern for my BM's is that they are comfortable in their dress and they feel like they look like a million bucks.

Mismatched BMs are becoming a trend and it's nice because I was never a fan of the Stepford BM look.

@LAM524, I will reiterate what has been said a few times already.  This isn't something for you to worry about, so just let your friend figure it out.  Give her the option to purchases a new dress in the same or a similar color that fits, but then leave it at that.  If she wants to go to a seamstress to discuss alterations, try to find a bigger used dress on Ebay, etc. that's all on her.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards