Attire & Accessories Forum

tanning

Hey! I need some help... my wedding is at the end of September. I am an avid runner and already, just from this last month of warmer weather and shirtless running, have my sports bra tan lines starting to reappear. my dress is sweetheart neckline and strapless with a corset back. does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do throughout the summer months to avoid have a farmers tan (from wearing a shirt while running) or have a big white X and strap lines on my back and shoulder by the end of summer? Thanks! 

Re: tanning

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Funny you brought this up --- I don't run shirtless, but I do wear racerback tanks and noticed tan lines beginning to develop just this morning. 

You have a few options. You could stop running shirtless, start wearing sunscreen, or start applying self-tanner lotion to skin covered by your sports bra. 

The other thing to remember is you can apply bronzer makeup (just be sure to use something with staying power that won't rub off --- if you set it properly it should be fine). 
  • Lots and lots of sunscreen. Reapply frequently, especially after swimming or sweating. And wear tops with different lines.
  • I would look into possibly getting an air brush spray tan to help touch up those tan lines.  You should test this out beforehand though to make sure you like how it looks, that it works, and to see how well the spray tan wears.

• Lots of sunscreen. You should be doing this anyway! I like the spray on Sport kind - mist it all over before you get dressed.

If you want to even out what you've got, I like the True Blue Spa moisturizing gradual tanner from Bath and Body. It doesn't have that gross "tanner" smell.

• Lots of sunscreen. You should be doing this anyway! I like the spray on Sport kind - mist it all over before you get dressed.

If you want to even out what you've got, I like the True Blue Spa moisturizing gradual tanner from Bath and Body. It doesn't have that gross "tanner" smell.

Stuck in the box -

I really love the Bath and Bodyworks tanner as well. Better than Jergens/ drug store brands.

Stuck in the box -

I really love the Bath and Bodyworks tanner as well. Better than Jergens/ drug store brands.

• Lots and lots of sunscreen.... I hate spray tans and don't like the idea of tanning beds so I purposely changed my running schedule so I run at dusk or dawn, when the UV rays aren't as strong. I'll also be wearing a lot of strapless sundresses this summer when I plan on being out and about during the day when the sun is strongest (especially when I have to spend all day outside for my students' track and field day!).

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Sunscreen, light long-sleeved stops, and more high SPF sunscreen. You need to vary what tops you are wearing daily, as well as keep long runs to either early morning to late evening when the sun isn't so strong. I always end up with racerback tan lines, but these help. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • I'm so glad somebody posted this--I burn super quickly and already have tan lines starting from working in the yard. Any other self-tanner brands to recommend?
  • @kitty8403 - I recently purchased Tanwise tanning mousse from Sally Beauty.  I have found that it works really well.  I used it again last night on my legs (haven't tried it any where else).  It goes in pretty easily and evenly.  And then this morning I took a shower and it helped to remove the dark application guide and makes it look a lot more natural.  It only costs about $10-$12 bucks so even if you don't like it it isn't like you spent a fortune.  Just remember to exfoliate before you use it and to put just a dab of lotion on your elbows and wrists/hands to help keep them from getting too dark.

• I had a farmer's tan which looked so great with my strapless dress. I was careful about putting sun screen on when going outside for yardwork or for fun but never thought about those times when just driving around in the car to get to & from work or doing errands. So I ended up doing a spray tan. I did do about a 2 months before my wedding to try it out & see how my skin would react to it. I figured with a 2 month advance trial, if I had a reaction, i would have plenty of time for things to clear up. You can have them focus on your arms,back & chest & skip the rest of your body if you want. Because I didn't just have my tan lines done if you focus on my photos, you can tell the difference, but the difference isn't nearly as bad as if I hadn't done anything.
  • Thank you everyone for the responses so far. A lot of very useful information. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards