Wedding Invitations & Paper

hosts and invitation wording

If the mother of the bride is paying for 52% of the wedding, the groom's parents are paying for 24%, and we are paying for 24%, how should we word the invitation with proper etiquette? 

My fiance wants to say "together with their families" which seems to indicate that we are paying for the wedding, which isn't entirely the case. My mom doesn't care to be involved in a lot of the planning, she just wanted to contribute the money. Should we use wording that indicates the brides family is paying, wording that includes both families, or that indicates we are paying?

Thanks!

Re: hosts and invitation wording

• You have some choices.  The invitation does not indicate who is paying.  That is none of the guests' business!  It is a note from the HOSTS to the guests.  You need to talk to all parents to see how they feel about this.

Ms. Mary Bridesmother
    requests the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of her daughter
    Bride's First Middle
    to
    Mr. Groom's Full Name
    Day, date
    time o'clock
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

Ms. Mary Bridesmother
    Mr. and Mrs. John Groomsfather
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name (etc.)

Together with their families
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    request the pleasure of your company
    as they are united in marriage (etc.)

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name  (etc.)

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Maybe I'm confusing hosting with paying? In the knot wedding planning book it says that if the bride's parents are paying for all or most of the wedding then the groom's parents are traditionally left off the invite... This is why I thought that hosting = paying.
  • The Knot is a great site to talk to other brides (I'm a former MOB) about your wedding, and to get advice from experienced people.  It is a lousy etiquette source, 
    I usually use Emily Post, Miss Manners, and Crane's.
    Often you are dealing with family feelings when you write your invitation.  Do your FILS expect to be named on the invitation?  Ask them.  Does your mother want to see her name on the invitation?  Ask her.  Once you have done this, you get to choose.  Any of the examples I gave you will be fine.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards