Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Is it rude to turn down this wedding invitation?

I was supposed to get married in two months.  I just cancelled my wedding last night.  I am heart broken of course.  I'm supposed to go to a family member's wedding in a month.  I haven't RSVP'd yet.  The RSVP is due next week.  The thought of going to a wedding right now is overwhelming, but pretty much everything is overwhelming.  It is my second cousin's wedding and I've been looking forward to going and celebrating with her, but I'm afraid it will be a little bit too much to handle.  It is a wedding I will have to travel and stay over night to attend.  Would you think it were rude if someone turned down your wedding invitation for this reason?  I can't think clearly right now.  I don't want to be rude but also imagine attending a wedding.  I'm probably being a baby.

Re: Is it rude to turn down this wedding invitation?

• Options
    It is never rude to turn down a wedding invitation. It's not a summons. I won't think it rude if anyone turns down my invitation, for any reason or no reason.

I'm sorry you're going through this. HUGS!

• Options
    It's not rude at all. My heart goes out to you and I'm sure your family will understand that this would be difficult for you too. Hugs!
  • Options

No, not rude at all. It's perfectly understandable that you're not in a place to celebrate a marriage (for an extended period of time).

I'm really sorry you're going through this right now :(

BIG HUGS

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    It is never rude to turn down a wedding invite and you certainly do not have to supply a reason for declining.

• Options
    It's not rude at all.  Sorry you are going through this.

You can always send your cousin a card wishing her well (and a gift if you choose) and letting her know you are happy for her.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am sorry you're dealing with this. I probably wouldn't go, either.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    It is never rude to turn down a wedding invite (unless you've already RSVP'd "yes"--but that's a different situation).

I am so sorry for what you're going through! I'm sure everyone will understand if you decide not to go...
  • Options
    No it is not rude to turn down invitation. You need to do what is best for you right now. Take care of you!
  • Options
    It's never rude to turn down a wedding invitation for any reason. I'm so sorry you're going through this.
  • Options
    I agree with the PPs.  You need to do what you need to do.  It's never rude to turn down an invitation and you don't have to give any explanation.

Sorry ((Hugs))
    sexy, harry styles, best song ever, cute, beautiful, asdjglñlñ, marcel
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Sorry about all you're going through! 
    It's never rude to turn down a wedding invitation, for any reason. 
  • Options
    Not rude at all. I wouldn't want to go either. I would send a decline and then a card and gift and call it good. Like others said, it's not a summons and you can turn it down for any reason, and you do not have to supply that reason.

I'm really sorry you're going through this. I'm sure it was for a very good reason and you'll be much better off, but I know it hurts really bad right now. 
  • Options
    I'm sorry. ::hugs::

As others have said, it's never rude to decline an invitation.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm very sorry.  <<<hugs>>>

It is not rude to decline an invitation, and probably your cousin and everyone else will be understanding about why you feel you can't come.

Wishing you the best and hoping for future happiness for you.
  • Options
    Not at all. Take care of yourself first! ((hugs))
    imageimage">
  • Options
    Just need to agree with all previous posters. You are not rude at all.

I also want to compliment you on your maturity and wisdom. If you felt you needed to cancel your wedding, there is probably damned good cause. I'm not young, and I know many many many divorced people, and almost all of them say the same things: that they all knew, on some level, that they were making a mistake by getting married, and they wished they'd had the courage to cancel.
    Of course you're sad, but you aren't a baby. You are smart and brave and did the right thing. 
  • Options

I'm so sorry to hear that. I've been in those shoes before (3 years ago my ex and I ended our engagement 5 months before the wedding) and had a cousin's wedding to go to very shortly after. I ended up going anyways because he and I are very close and I was the only cousin on his side of the family invited (we have 21 cousins). As glad as I am that I went (because we are close and I would have regretted it), it was one of the hardest things for me to do. So unless you are super close with your cousin I wouldn't recommend going and I think they would be more than understanding.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I agree that it wouldn't be rude, but do consider if, by the time the wedding rolls around, you may be a little more prepared to attend even if it's just to the ceremony and for a quick drink and a hello at the reception instead of staying all night to party. Also consider that in the future you may regret not going. If you are close to this person, try to think about yourself in a month- are you going to wish you said you would go but missed your chance? Or, if you're debating, talk to your cousin about it and be honest about what you're going through. The tone of that conversation will likely help you make a decision. If you're just not that close your cousin, you can just RSVP no and if they ask, be honest. Good luck in your healing process. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards