Snarky Brides

Worst wedding music choices you've heard of?

13»

Re: Worst wedding music choices you've heard of?

• AzAnnieAzAnnie member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    My ex husband requested "Another One Bites The Dust" at a friends wedding!
  • Yeah, fake snow. Ok. That's what we're calling it here. But, gotten that and the ouzo from the song without the full performance in the US.

But, seen them at least once on every tour after 97. I refuse to consider exactly how much I have burned my hair. It's sooooooooooooooooo worth every second.
  • thisismynickname said: ElcaB said: I love Ho Hey by the Lumineers, but let's focus on the lyrics:
    "I don't think you're right for him. Look at what it might have been if you took a bus to China Town. I'd be standing on Canal and Bowery."
    This doesn't scream romance to me.  A couple I know walked out to that song, the part that goes "I belong with you" yadda yadda.  Never realized the rest was worse! In fairness, the singer is singing to the person he loves, saying she should be with him - it's not entirely unromantic. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Inkdancer said:
    Related question: are there songs people love but decided not to play because of the message?

My FI and I have two songs that we consider "our song": The Only Exception by Paramore and Crosses by Jose Gonzales. Both are about finding love after struggles, but both are sad as hell. We decided not to do our first dance to either of them so we wouldn't confuse people with dancing to depressing songs.
    I refuse to play the song from Twilight.

There are a few others I nixed from consideration because either they refer to alcohol too much (ix-nay for FI) or talk about sex/lovers/etc and that's just weird in front of grandparents and children. (Like Tim McGraw, "My Best Friend" - "you're more than a lover, there can never be another who makes me feel the way you do." or Blake Shelton "Mine Would be You," "hands down best ever make-up sex.") Just makes me twitchy.

We haven't decided on a first dance song yet. :-\
    You mean A Thousand Years?  It's so beautiful, it's a damn shame that the movie immediately comes to mind whenever I hear it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really can't stand that stupid Black Eyed Peas song..."tonight's gonna be a good night..." good lord someone kill me whenever I'm at a wedding and that song comes on and it's supposed to make me feel energized to celebrate. GAG!!

• Inkdancer said:

Related question: are there songs people love but decided not to play because of the message?

My FI and I have two songs that we consider "our song": The Only Exception by Paramore and Crosses by Jose Gonzales. Both are about finding love after struggles, but both are sad as hell. We decided not to do our first dance to either of them so we wouldn't confuse people with dancing to depressing songs.

I refuse to play the song from Twilight.

There are a few others I nixed from consideration because either they refer to alcohol too much (ix-nay for FI) or talk about sex/lovers/etc and that's just weird in front of grandparents and children. (Like Tim McGraw, "My Best Friend" - "you're more than a lover, there can never be another who makes me feel the way you do." or Blake Shelton "Mine Would be You," "hands down best ever make-up sex.") Just makes me twitchy.

We haven't decided on a first dance song yet. :-\

You mean A Thousand Years?  It's so beautiful, it's a damn shame that the movie immediately comes to mind whenever I hear it.

That's the one. It's such a perfect song; I was pretty devastated when I learned I must hate it.

Just remembered...A few years ago someone called into the radio station and requested "How Do You Like Me Now" and said it was gonna be her wedding song. Umm...

I was always the crazy one
    I broke into the stadium
    And I wrote your number on the 50 yard line
    You were always the perfect one
    And the valadictorian so
    Under your number I wrote "call for a good time"

I only wanted to catch your attention
    But you overlooked me somehow
    Besides you had too many boyfriends to mention
    And I played my guitar too loud.

How do you like me now?
    How do you like me now,
    Now that I'm on my way?
    Do you still think I'm crazy
    Standin here today?
    I couldnt make you love me
    But I always dreamed about living in your radio
    How do you like me now?

• Ugh, I hate country music, that bigot even more. But how does someone think that's a wedding song? Even Du Hast is more fitting. Plus, even at their absolute worse, they are less offensive than being an uneducated bigot. Craftsman is not a pro Murica company these days. Toyota builds on US soil.
  • Someone asked me if I'm going to have the traditional wedding march for when I come down the aisle, and I said, "No, I'm going to play some Aphex Twin." and left it at that.

The look of SHEER HORROR on her face was priceless. The only Aphex Twin song she's heard is 'Come To Daddy', I had to collect myself to tell her I'm using Avril 14th. 

I played it for her, but now I almost wish I was going to play Come To Daddy while I walked down the aisle. Just for how hard I'd be laughing at everyone's confused/terrified expressions.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I would be so unbelievably pumped (and amused) if I heard "Du Hast" at a reception.
  • If we would have an actual reception, Rammstein would be played.  Maybe not Du Hast, but at least Sonne and our jump around song Ich Will.
  • We did a song request line on our RSVPs - so far they've been pretty good songs, except one. my FI's Aunt requested "In this very room" which I'd never heard of. Went to look up the lyrics.... its all about how she leaves him. 

I think that one will be convieniently lost....
  • Best Worst Music Moment Ever: 

Way way way back in about 1973 or 4 ish,  I was at an outdoor wedding at a sort of "wedding estate" type of venue. With my parents.  Ceremony on the lawn under the trees. A group of peacocks were wandering around. (oooh, aaaah, fancy.)

So, for whatever reason the bride (older cousin) loves the Carpenters. We've Only Just Beguuuun.  Close To You. All that really super cheesy stuff. 
    She hired an a cappella group. Okay. A STROLLING a cappella group.

Just like golly gee, we just all happen to be casually strolling by the wedding in our matching skirt and sweater sets. Out from behind a group of trees (just like meeee they long to beeee close to you) and then hidden behind the bushes, and heeeere they come again, (this time singing white lace and proooomises, we start out walking and learn to run.)

Picture them, looking like super keen clean teen college boys and girls in matching v neck sweaters over turtlenecks, matching white pleated skirts and pants. Very frikking Lawrence Welk or Andy Williams show. Nothing groovy happening here folks. Just pure all American cheesy. Like a singing Brady Bunch. 

And then peacocks took exception. The peacocks whip their heads around to stare, and they looked outraged. And then they puffed up and looked furious. 

And on the third casual singing stroll by, the effing peacocks charged the singers. They attacked. 

The peacocks decided they had enough with Carpenters, and they not only charged, they charged screaming that horrible peacock screech.

And the singers were running/trying not to run and getting pecked in their asses and on the legs and still frikking singing and the peacocks were screaming and nobody was even watching the wedding and all it took was one person (Thanks Dad! I love you!) to lose control and start laughing, and yep. Every guest on the lawn, wedding party, and groom completely lost it.

The only people not laughing were the bride and her mother, who were outraged with guests, peacocks, minister, groom, and my dad in particular. ( Uhm, sorry there, Auntie Dolores. But hell yes, it was funny.)

Hooray for the Carpenters! And the peacocks! Best effing bad wedding music ever! I was a happy child that day. Good times.

ohannabelle I love the way you tell your stories.  Anonymous internet stranger crush right here. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards