Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Do I have to give the Officant a Gratuity?

I know there are other threads on this topic, but none with my issue.

The officiant we are contemplating hiring charges $200 for her services which to me seems insanely high for her job. When I explained what I wanted she said the whole thing should be done in 20 minutes because we just want the standard vows, no readings, extra ceremonies or special vows.

Do I need to tip her on top of her fee? It just seems a little crazy to give pretty much a stranger $200+ for a half hour of her time.

Thanks

Re: Do I have to give the Officant a Gratuity?

• Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Does she work for herself or is she an employee?  One usually does not tip people who are self-employed since they get 100% of the money paid.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    emz101emz101 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    She works for herself. That's what I was thinking to.
  • Options
    I wouldn't tip either since you're just getting a standard service and it's going to be really hard to go above and beyond with it.

And wow, $200? Where I live, I haven't been able to find anyone to do a basic, standard ceremony for less than $400!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I agree 200 is cheap.
  • Options
    KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Our officiant is charging $150. If he does a great job he might get a gift card in his thank you note once we come back from our honeymoon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I wouldn't tip either since you're just getting a standard service and it's going to be really hard to go above and beyond with it.

And wow, $200? Where I live, I haven't been able to find anyone to do a basic, standard ceremony for less than $400!
    Yea, when we asked our for her fee she told us "well most people give me between $400-$700, but it's not about the money, so whatever you feel is right." Which puts us in a really awkward position of feeling like we are not giving enough while also giving too much .
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    $200 is nothing (in my area anyway). And when I tip it's rewarding a job well done. My hair stylist and make up artist both work for themselves, but I happily tipped both. I knew they weren't turning my payment over to a salon, but I also really loved their work / appreciated their help, so tipping was a no-brainer.
  • Options
    No I would not tip an officiant.  They are performing the ceremony and that is their job.  They are not be assessed based on service so a tip is not necessary.  My officiant was $600 for the day and $100 for the rehearsal so I would never imagine to pay anymore for a 30 min ceremony.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

In our area, $200 + $50 for rehearsal was the norm. She met us and helped us come up with the ceremony, greetings, readings, vows, etc. She put them together with changes we asked for. She also gave us valuable information about name changes and the marriage license. I don't plan on tipping her though, as was stated she is self-employed. You can request where you can leave a review for their services, and definitely send a thank-you card, maybe with a small gift.

• Options
    I wouldn't tip her unless she goes above and beyond what she has contracted to do. If she shows up on time, performs the 20 minute ceremony and leaves, her fee is fair, not high. If she attends a rehearsal or meets with you to go over details and doesn't charge a fee, you should tip her.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    We didn't tip ours b/c he works for himself. He wasn't through a church or anything so he would get 100% of our $$ anyway since it's just him and not a business/church. We didn't see the need to give him his fee and THEN tip him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My officiant is through the church and her fee is $100 and includes the rehearsal. We will be tipping her because I feel that is very low (and she has stayed in contact with me)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards