Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Pay for makeup stylist or DIY?

I'm not a person who wears a lot of makeup.  I usually just throw on some eyeliner, mascara, light shadow if anything. Every time I have had my makeup done by someone else I have hated it. So I'm considering DIY. The cost of the professional make up artist is $100.  This sounds like a lot to me, that I could buy any additional quality make up for that price (but may not wear it again).  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Re: Pay for makeup stylist or DIY?

• I don't really wear make up very often other than a little blush, bronzer, and chap stick. I knew I wanted my make up to look good in pictures and I don't really have the patience to practice for months myself to make it look right. I hired a girl and I did a make up trial with her. It lasted all day and looked really good in pictures, but I didn't really like the way it looked in person. I was able to go back to her and tell her what I didn't like and how I wanted it changed and we worked out something that I thought looked good in person and still looked good in pictures. I think it's really hard for anyone who doesn't really wear make up to like how make up looks when it's professionally done because it's so much more than you usually wear.
  • emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm really picky about my makeup and have never been satisfied by professionals (too much contouring and bronzer). So I did my own makeup. I do wear makeup frequently, so I just did my standard look, and I was able to practice it for the engagement shoot and test it in front of the camera.

I just wore a light foundation, blush, eyeshadow and liner, and mascara. Nothing crazy. Though I did get some primer and finishing spray because our wedding was outside in the summer. Try a few looks, take some pictures, and see what you think. Just stay away from glitter and shimmer.
  • I thought about DIYing, and then I got the advice to look through pictures of myself out and about during another wedding or night on the town. I didn't want those pictures of my face/hair to resemble how the makeup/hair situation looked on those nights. 

If you're cool with how you look in those pictures and would rather spend the money elsewhere, go for it. It's just a matter of priorities. 
  • If you don't wear much makeup, I would hire a professional. You're easily going to spend the same $100 on products that you may never use again and if you don't know how to use them correctly, you may end up with a look you're unhappy with.  Book a trial with the MUA and bring some pictures of looks you like with you, tell her what things you like, are uncomfortable with, etc.  A good MUA will take what you show/tell her and use it to help give you a look that you're comfortable and looks great on you.
  • I am a minimalist when it comes to makeup, Almay blackest black mascara, and Alba coconut lime lip balm...that's literally it. I want to look like me in our wedding pics, but when you look at me in candid shots from parties etc, you can tell I'm not a glamour queen and that I flush very easily. Even the posed pic my FMIL took of us the day we got engaged looks like I have no eyelashes even with the lengthening/volumizing mascara. I have been given much advice from friends/family who work selling Avon/Mary Kay and all have said to get my makeup done by a pro because they can choose the products to complement and enhance my natural features but still keep me looking like me, and not MiMi from Drew Carey.

• Tough call. If you want to DIY, you'll need to find some tutorials, buy at least $50 worth of product, and practice a LOT. When you think of the value of your time and the expense of the products, the cost is probably a wash. It just depends on if you trust the MUA to give you a natural look that you like.
  • You should probably pay someone to do your make-up for you.  If you have paid for a photographer for your wedding It would be best to get your hair and make-up professionally done.  They can make you look as natural as possible, It is actually a requirement for my make-up artist.  Try asking them what type of techniques they us.  Typically airbrushing is around $100+ so you may be able to get it cheaper without air-brushing or including fake eyelashes.  I found one a little cheaper for $85 in NJ and that is the cheapest I found so far.  Also I would go to the make-up counters at the mall get your make-up done at your favorite one, if you like their work ask the person if they do free-lance work, many do.  You can typically get these people for cheaper than normal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sjuhawkz said:
    I'm not a person who wears a lot of makeup.  I usually just throw on some eyeliner, mascara, light shadow if anything. Every time I have had my makeup done by someone else I have hated it. So I'm considering DIY. The cost of the professional make up artist is $100.  This sounds like a lot to me, that I could buy any additional quality make up for that price (but may not wear it again).  Any advice would be appreciated. 
    Have it professionally done.  Schedule a trial.  Tell them what you want and let them work until you're happy. 
  • You should probably pay someone to do your make-up for you.  If you have paid for a photographer for your wedding It would be best to get your hair and make-up professionally done.  They can make you look as natural as possible, It is actually a requirement for my make-up artist.  Try asking them what type of techniques they us.  Typically airbrushing is around $100+ so you may be able to get it cheaper without air-brushing or including fake eyelashes.  I found one a little cheaper for $85 in NJ and that is the cheapest I found so far.  Also I would go to the make-up counters at the mall get your make-up done at your favorite one, if you like their work ask the person if they do free-lance work, many do.  You can typically get these people for cheaper than normal.
    This is a good idea, but if you don't typically wear a lot of make-up I would definitely stress that fact. My FMIL took me for my 25th birthday to the Clinique counter at Macy's because she uses their products (my previous post shows how little I make-up I do on my own), and when the girl was finished, I felt like someone icing-ed my face. I appreciated the thought behind the trip, but I agree that springing for air-brushing or going to a place like Bare Minerals would be better for shear options that aren't heavy.
  • I think wedding makeup is very different than regular wear makeup. There is a lot to take into consideration such has how to adjust colors/shades for an outside wedding based on the level of sunlight that day, what is going to look good in flash photography, what is going to last 6 hours, what compliments your skin tone and dress the most.

I just went for my first trial and my makeup artist got me started on new skin care to get my skin ready for my wedding in 4 months. Her philosophy is the better condition your skin is in, the less makeup you will really need. 

I'm a person who wears makeup on a daily basis, pressed powder, bronzer and blush as well as eye makeup. So this was the right choice for me. I'd suggest to go with gut! If you want to save the money on a makeup artist, treat yourself to a couple facials. Personally, I wouldn't want to worry about my makeup on my wedding day, the less that requires my attention the better. I just want to enjoy the day!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards