Wedding Etiquette Forum

do i need to provide a limo?

hyechica81hyechica81 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
edited May 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
so tonight my grandma asked me are you getting a limo for the wedding party.  there are 7 bm 5 gm and me and fi, i called every place i could think of to find a limo or something to fit all of us and the prices are so out of our budget, we are looking at Lincoln town car as the transportation. it would come pick me up my dad and moh then to the church at after church it would take me fi bm and moh to pictures at the park that is literally right next to the church less 2 minute walk

my grandma said i need to have transportation for everyone

do i have to have transportation or do i have to let them know ahead of time we are not doing a limo?

Re: do i need to provide a limo?

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    No, you do not need to provide transportation for anyone.  All you have to do is make sure you and your FI have a way to and from the locations.  That could mean renting a car, driving your own car, carpooling with family, etc.  Your wedding party and other guests can figure out their own way to and from the ceremony and reception locations.
    lc07ei34
  • Not your responsibility, no.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Agreed... the relatives' weddings I've been a BM in never provided transportation, it was our responsibility to find our own way to and from all events.
  • edited May 2014
    Do you need to provide transportation, I'm not sure. 

But I've been in 10+ weddings and the bridal party always had transportation provided to the ceremony site and then from the ceremony site to the reception venue- limo, party bus, trolley, etc.

If that's not in your budget, then there's nothing you can do about it and I wouldn't stress over it.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• You do not need to provide it. It is nice to provide if it is in your budget. People can figure out how to get from one place to another on their own.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    You do not need to provide transportation. If you do, you need to consider if there will be any bridal party members who do not have dates.  Because they will need a way from the reception back to wherever their car is.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • all of my maids are sibling or cousins, 2 of my maids have bf so they have rides to all events

the other maids are coming with family to the wedding so they also have rides to all events
  • You don't have to provide transportation, but if you do get transportation I would either make it for all your wedding party or just you and your FI. I don't think you should provide transportation for just your FI's BM and your MOH.
    PrettyGirlLostSTARMOON44lc07
  • If you aren't providing transport to the bridesmaids, I don't think they should be required to go to a third location for a photo shoot.
    PrettyGirlLost
  • If you aren't providing transport to the bridesmaids, I don't think they should be required to go to a third location for a photo shoot.
    I'm sure they can manage the 2-minute walk to the picture location.
  • No it isn't required. Is it nice if you can so that your bridal party can all travel together, of course, but if you don'th have a limo it's not the end of the world. One question, if the car is picking you, your dad & moh, how will dad get to reception after the ceremony and how will MOH get home?

My only recommendation is if the bridal party is driving themselves, to limit photo locations to one location, or two max if they are close to each other for group shots and make sure it's a location where parking for the number of people involved won't be an issue.

My hubby was in a wedding a few weeks ago that did not prove transportation at all. Which included 2 locations for pictures between the ceremony and reception sites. I think if you are requiring multiple locations for pictures (and not within walking distance) then you should provide transportation for the whole party. It sounds like the picture location is walk-able so I don't think its a big deal.

Anniversary
    So then why does the Bride, Groom, MOH, and Best Man need to be driven to that location?  They should walk too!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

KeptInStitches
  • zizibetzizibet member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If you want people to go to a third location just for photos, I think you should provide transportation.
    It may be a 2 minute walk, but in the sun, that could mean melted makeup and sweaty hair-not to mention uncomfortable shoes. CrazyCatLady, you're off base.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it's polite since you're asking them to go to more than just the ceremony and reception location.

For us, it would be more of a hassle to do a limo... everyone's gotta get home eventually. We're working on borrowing my grandmas minivan to get from hotel to ceremony/pictures and reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's not necessary to provide transportation, but I do think you have to think about transportation and make sure everyone will have a reasonable way to/from all the locations you want them at. So, if you have a lot of out-of-town guests, how do you expect them to get around, for example? We're hiring a shuttle bus for our family and out of town guests to get from the hotel to the venue because otherwise the options would be taxis or public transportation. Totally viable options normally, but clearly no one is going to take the subway in formal attire, and I don't want to have to have everyone find their own taxi.

I think it's rude of you to offer a ride to your MOH and best man, but not the rest of the wedding party and family that will be in the pictures. It should be all or none...everyone can walk, or everyone needs to be provided with a ride. It's like those terrible weddings you hear about where the bride and groom get a better meal than their guests! The one caveat with the ride I think is that if you and your husband were going to go to an additional location and take a few pictures, maybe, just the two of you. You could have some quiet alone time, and then join everyone else who walked over for the group pictures.

Also, remember that your photographer(s) will need to get to whatever location as well! Make sure you're including them in your counts. 
    PrettyGirlLost
  • MandyMost said:
    It's not necessary to provide transportation, but I do think you have to think about transportation and make sure everyone will have a reasonable way to/from all the locations you want them at. So, if you have a lot of out-of-town guests, how do you expect them to get around, for example? We're hiring a shuttle bus for our family and out of town guests to get from the hotel to the venue because otherwise the options would be taxis or public transportation. Totally viable options normally, but clearly no one is going to take the subway in formal attire, and I don't want to have to have everyone find their own taxi.

I think it's rude of you to offer a ride to your MOH and best man, but not the rest of the wedding party and family that will be in the pictures. It should be all or none...everyone can walk, or everyone needs to be provided with a ride. It's like those terrible weddings you hear about where the bride and groom get a better meal than their guests! The one caveat with the ride I think is that if you and your husband were going to go to an additional location and take a few pictures, maybe, just the two of you. You could have some quiet alone time, and then join everyone else who walked over for the group pictures.

Also, remember that your photographer(s) will need to get to whatever location as well! Make sure you're including them in your counts. 
    I'd talk to them before doing this.  Many photographers provide their own transportation to and from events and will not ride in the limo, trolley, etc, with the WP.  We asked ours about this and they said that they prefer to drive themselves because it is easier to manage the equipment.

• ok to clear up some confusion

my parents house is within a two minute walking distance to the church, church to park is also a 2 minute walking distance, reception is 20-30 minutes away depending on traffic.

my mom will have the car so my dad can get to the reception after photos

my moh has a bf so he will bring her home  they live in the same town

between the whole wedding party we have enough cars to get everyone from point a to b to the final destination

• ok to clear up some confusion

my parents house is within a two minute walking distance to the church, church to park is also a 2 minute walking distance, reception is 20-30 minutes away depending on traffic.

my mom will have the car so my dad can get to the reception after photos

my moh has a bf so he will bring her home  they live in the same town

between the whole wedding party we have enough cars to get everyone from point a to b to the final destination

That's great, but the point is that if you are thinking of getting a limo for you, your FI, the MOH, and the Best Man, to take you all the park for pictures, then you need to provide similar transportation for the rest of your wedding party. 

Or you need to rent a bus/trolley that the entire wedding party, including you 4, will fit in.

Or you all need to walk to the park for pictures, including you and your FI.

Jessie42613
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards