Snarky Brides
Options

Need to know what to do about last 1/2 hour of open bar- snarky judgement welcome!

Ok, so our package at the reception site includes 4 hours of open bar for a 6 hour reception. So last week we met with the coordinator to kind of map out the evening. This is what she came up with:
6-7 open bar/cocktail hour
7-8:30 sit for served dinner, bar closed (this is very common in our area, I don't think people will think much of this. Plus there will be bottles of house wine at each table regardless)
8:30-11:30 re-open bar, dancing and whatnot
11:30-12 ??? and dancing

She gave us a few options of how to handle it...
- close the bar at 11:30. there may not be too many people around by that point
- do a cash bar for last 1/2 hour (not an option for me)
- do a full open bar for last 1/2 hour and pay for it regardless of how many drinks actually get served in that time
- do a partial open bar of just beer and wine and put away liquor, so cheaper
- do a cash bar but just pay the tab for that timeframe ourselves instead of having guests pay

I'm definitely looking for "real" advice... stuck between being a tacky bride and also being practical. Our friends like to drink but I also am pretty confident they'll be winding down by that point. I know myself I usually stop drinking early in the night anyways because I'll wake up feeling awful if I don't :) 

TIA!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need to know what to do about last 1/2 hour of open bar- snarky judgement welcome!

• Options
    While this has never happened at any weddings I've attended, I have heard of the bar closing the last half hour and sometimes even the last hour at some venues. I don't really think the last 30 minutes is a big deal. Not really sure how you would relay this information, word of mouth? I don't think it's appropriate to do a last call, but I'm not really familiar with this situation. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Tami87Tami87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I would probably just pick up the tab for the last 1/2 hour if it is in the budget. I would imagine this would be cheaper than open bar per person price, because many of your guests may have already left or be slowing down. If this isn't in the budget I think it is okay to close the bar before the reception ends. I don't have a problem with having the DJ or someone announce a last call.
  • Options
    I think closing the bar at 11:30 is fine. Like other PPs have said, a lot of venues will close the bar half an hour before the reception officially ends so most people probably won't be confused by this.
  • Options
    I vote just close it.  You don't want (irresponsible) people having one last drink from 11:30 - 12 and then driving off from your reception.  Maybe that's just me being paranoid, but just my two cents!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    I would just close it. Almost all of the weddings I've been to -- cash or open bar -- have closed the bar 1/2 hour before the end of the reception. Ours did, in fact.

FTR, I live in PA, which has the most archaic blue laws known to man (seriously -- even the freaking Mormons in Utah, who don't BELIEVE in drinking, have less restrictive blue laws than we do), and all bars close at 2 a.m., but last call is at 1.30 a.m., so that's very, very normal for us.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    It's very common to have "last call" a half hour before the event ends. This is what they do in bars, comedy clubs, etc. so people will be used to it. The bartender likely will be too, and will start telling people "last call is in __ minutes" around 11.

• Options
    I vote last call at 11:30.
  • Options
    My wedding reception actually ended an hour before we intended (Sunday night MAY have had something to do with this), and usually, people have started to leave by then anyway.  I know I don't usually stay to the very end, but maybe you have a lot of partiers.  Whatever you decide, enjoy and have a wonderful day!
  • Options
    I think having a last call and closing the bar a half hour before the end is fine.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am another vote for just closing it. I have also seen many (if not all?) weddings that have the bar close 30 minutes before the end.

Anniversary
  • Options
    zizibet said:

Let it close for alcohol, but maybe continue to serve coffee and sodas/water.

This!
  • Options
    We're only having a limited open bar, so we're planning to have framed menus on the bar saying what is available and noting the "signature cocktails". Our reception will end at 11, and the bar has to close half hour before that, so I'm planning to put a little "Bar closes at 10:30pm" in italics at the bottom of the menu. 

This is pretty normal, as other people mentioned. You have half an hour to finish your drink, finish dancing, and say goodbye. 
  • Options
    You could close the bar at 11:30, or you could open the bar up at 8pm and continue the open bar portion from 8-12. That could work, since dinner probably won't take a full 90 mins, will it?
    imageimage">
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards