Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Girl who shares my name and date

13»

Re: Girl who shares my name and date

• Options
    The mirror might just make it to a 10% downpayment on a small house around here, but only just.
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    That better lead to Narnia it's the price of a house. A small house but still a house.
    Actually, in my local area you could buy one of the simpler Victorians for the price of that wardrobe, and the mirror could get you a basic starter home, lol
    Where is this magical land of houses I need to move to. I am used to NYC house prices.
    I'm in northern MN and I looked at a house I LOVED for $121k that was a little on the old side but really cute, well decorated and kept up, and on a large lot. Another we looked at was a brand new rambler for $150k. If you're willing to go the fixer upper foreclosure route you can definitely find it in the $50k range. 
  • Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    FiancB said:
    That better lead to Narnia it's the price of a house. A small house but still a house.
    Actually, in my local area you could buy one of the simpler Victorians for the price of that wardrobe, and the mirror could get you a basic starter home, lol
    Where is this magical land of houses I need to move to. I am used to NYC house prices.
    I'm in northern MN and I looked at a house I LOVED for $121k that was a little on the old side but really cute, well decorated and kept up, and on a large lot. Another we looked at was a brand new rambler for $150k. If you're willing to go the fixer upper foreclosure route you can definitely find it in the $50k range. 
    Wow! The condos we are looking at cost more than the houses.
  • Options

Yup, that armoire costs more than the house I just bought. By a lot.

• Options
    Even with those crazy expensive registry items, you couldn't put 10% down on any houses in my area...
    Yup, was going to say that yesterday. We are only putting 10% down and it's more than that mirror.

• Options
    Even with those crazy expensive registry items, you couldn't put 10% down on any houses in my area...
    Yup, was going to say that yesterday. We are only putting 10% down and it's more than that mirror.
    Starter homes in my town (1-2 bedroom cottages on 1/8 acre or so) start in the high 300s in my 'hood, with 2-3 bedroom homes in the low 400s-600s. My parents have a 2 1/2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath on 2/3 acre... it is valued in the high 400s and property tax is just shy of 1k/month. Needless to say, I'm not purchasing a home in my town anytime soon. Of course, I'm not going to be buying any portals to Wonderland or Narnia either...
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Starter homes in my town (1-2 bedroom cottages on 1/8 acre or so) start in the high 300s in my 'hood, with 2-3 bedroom homes in the low 400s-600s. My parents have a 2 1/2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath on 2/3 acre... it is valued in the high 400s and property tax is just shy of 1k/month. Needless to say, I'm not purchasing a home in my town anytime soon. Of course, I'm not going to be buying any portals to Wonderland or Narnia either...
    Sounds like you live in Canada- based on all of the shows related to buying houses on TV, or MA/CA

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I'm in Michigan and prices are similar assuming you want to live in a "nice" city.  We'd love to live in Ann Arbor for example but just browsing on zillow everything we liked enough to move is upwards of 700k! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds like you live in Canada- based on all of the shows related to buying houses on TV, or MA/CA
    Northern NJ, about 30 miles from downtown Manhattan. I live in a pretty swank suburb (though the towns get richer and richer as you go west of us), and my high school has been one of the top ranked public high schools in the state for, like, decades. There was a profile about my town in the New York Times a while back because houses do not stay on the market long at all. Even rentals - super strict about credit checks and financial disclosures to even be considered for a unit.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    $12K/year in property taxes for a house in the high 400s? Definitely not MA. Those prices sound reasonable, but not the taxes.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ashleyep said:

$12K/year in property taxes for a house in the high 400s? Definitely not MA. Those prices sound reasonable, but not the taxes.

I don't know anything about the property taxes in those areas. . . I just know what the houses are listed at on many of those programs and I'm shocked because they are so overpriced! One of the reasons I'd never consider living in MA/CA or certain parts of NJ ;-)

We aren't having kids so we'd be paying waaaay too much money on a house a property tax for no reason, lol.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Yeah the taxes are pretty reasonable in MA, considering it's called taxachusetts.  We're buying a house in the high 300s that's a 3-4 bedroom 2 bath on a little less than an acre. The taxes are only 5-6K. 

• Options
    There are counties in NJ with lower property taxes (I ran across a house on 2 acres in a neighboring county that has property taxes under 7k/year), but they are either very far from where we live or the home prices are way higher than they are here so your mortgage would end up being the same amount anyway.
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards