Attire & Accessories Forum

Slip or No Slip?

Saturday I picked up my dress from the bridal salon. It's a typical ballroom gown. I tried it on without a slip, and while we were there, they wanted to discuss undergarments. The first was a long-line bra. I told them there was no way they made a long line bra in my size. So the saleswoman tells me I "need" a slip, because it changes the shape of the dress. I don't want this huge ballroom extra fullness and will probably have a few layers taken out when it's altered as it is. She kept telling me it'll look better in pictures and I don't have to "feel the dress on my legs". What????

Anyway, did you wear a slip? Do I really need a slip? Can I wait until like October to make this decision?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
image 36 Yes
image 2 No
image 21 Unknown

Re: Slip or No Slip?

• Did she mean crinoline?  Because that is used to add more support and "poof" to a ballgown.  A slip won't do anything.

If you don't want your gown to be as full, then don't use one.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• @prettygirllost it wasn't crinoline, it looked more like this (this was the actual slip she suggested):

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • That is pretty much a crinoline, they are just calling it a slip, lol.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• edited May 2014
    Something to consider:

"Crinolines can also help during the alteration process.  Wedding petticoats often lift the dress off the floor an additional one to two inches, which maybe be enough to bypass hem alteration all together. For example, if the wedding dress arrives needing a one-inch shortening of the hem, it may be possible the bridal crinoline will actually resolve the problem by elevating the wedding gown by just that amount.  This may save you money in the long run when you consider the fact that hem alterations can run up to $175 depending on the dress.

Finally, wedding gowns should be an inch off the floor when the bride is wearing the actual shoes she plans to use with the gown. The crinoline should not show and therefore should be at least two inches off the floor."

But if you don't want your skirt to be too poofy and are going to have them alter your ball gown to be a bit more tame anyways, you don't need a crinoline- it will just annoy you.

ETA: Try your dress on with a crinoline during your 1st fitting and have someone take pics, then try it on w/o the crinoline and take pics, and then decide based on how it feels/looks.

• buddysmom80buddysmom80 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014

@prettygirllost she kept telling me it was the least poufy "slip" they had, to be honest, I walked out of the shop thinking I didn't try it on with crinoline why would I buy it and change the shape of the dress? I swear she was trying to sell me SOMETHING that day.

ETA: Good idea with trying the dress on with and without the crinoline! I might do that just to see how it looks. My dress is really long right now and I'd rather have it hemmed than add an extra layer of clothing. But it's worth a shot.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @prettygirllost she kept telling me it was the least poufy "slip" they had, to be honest, I walked out of the shop thinking I didn't try it on with crinoline why would I buy it and change the shape of the dress? I swear she was trying to sell me SOMETHING that day.
    Yeah if you didn't try it on with anything underneath, and you were happy with the look or even wanted to tone it down, then I don't think you are going to like the look with a slip/crinoline.

But again, you can always try the dress on with one and see how you like it and how it feels.  I don't think there is a rule in which you have to wear anything like that.

• For reference here is the dress when I tried it on without a slip, I liked how it looked and I still do, so I'm just nervous I'm making the right choice.image

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Is it from David's? I hear they are always trying to sell slips
  • @Mitch617 it's an Alfred Angelo dress.

I think it's fine without the slip.  Some girls worry about the material going in between their legs making the dress a trip hazard, so you might want to try walking around in the gown to make sure you're comfortable with the movement of the dress.

Looking at pictures online - I'm guessing the slip they would sell you would make it look fuller and more like an A instead of falling straight down (I don't know how else to describe it). From looking at the internet, I'm guessing this bride has the slip on because how full the bottom is:

While this bride does not:

Anniversary
  • scole90scole90 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    @buddysmom80 you look stunning! i don't think you can go wrong either way. figure out what feels best for you like the PP says. i feel like the slip looks heavy and uncomfortable but give it a whirl. you may love it. good luck!
  • @Buddysmom80, I like your dress and I like how happy you are in that pic!!!

They always have the slips in the store that you can put on with your dress, so try your dress with the slip and see if you like it or not.  Then you can buy the slip.  Otherwise, I think you'd be wasting money if you bought it just because they are pushing it and a certain look on you.  Then you'll be pissed, lol!

• @dignity100 those are the pictures I needed to see!!! Thank you!!! I DON'T want the dress to look like the first picture, I like how it is in the second picture. I'm going to be wearing spanx underneath so I'm going to see if that'll help with the fabric getting caught and avoiding a fall.

@scole90 and @prettygirllost thank you for the compliments, I love the dress!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards