Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Anyone doing mis-matched bridesmaids dresses?

So our wedding colors are browns, moss green, cream and gold.  I thought it would look nice for my bridemaids to wear different shades of brown, from dark brown all the way to tan/champagne color.  I told them they could pick their own dresses...they just had to be knee-length and kind of flowy (I want them to have a dress they'll ACTUALLY be able to wear again).  I've seen their dresses and I think mis-match dresses can work, but whenever I tell someone I'm having them wear mis-match brown-tone dresses I get a, "Oh really?!? Hmmm...that sounds interesting"  Now I'm worried maybe it won't look good and all my bridemaids will look funny.  The wedding is less than 2 weeks away and I'm nervous about it.  Anyone else doing this or have done this?  How'd it go?

Re: Anyone doing mis-matched bridesmaids dresses?

• Options
    missnc77missnc77 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    Your wedding is two weeks away. Don't make your girls change their dresses this close because you are worried about the way something will look. I think you're stressing with your wedding being so close, so if it weren't dresses it would probably be something else. Take a breath, relax, and know everything will be fine. No one will look funny, but you run the risk of putting unnecessary stress on your bridesmaids by forcing them to find something last minute. No bueno.
  • Options
    I agree with PP, you can't change your mind... unless I suppose you pay for the old dresses AND buy the new dresses. I told my BMs knee length and navy and they looked stunning. Many people question it because matchy-matchy same dress/hair/shoes/jewelry was so popular for so long. Trust me, your friends will be way happier with your choice. 
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    They will look just fine.  
  • Options
    I only had my MOH and BM.  One wore a purple dress, the other wore silver.
    They looked fine, they were happy, and that's all that mattered.  :)

• Options
    Breathe.

They'll look lovely. This is not something you need to worry about. It's been checked off your list for a long time; keep it that way.

• Options
    Trust your gut!!!  I'm doing the same thing, but with shades of purple.  As long as the underlying theme is evident, and YOU'RE happy with the outcome, I'm sure it will be perfect.  If it helps ease your mind any, take pix of the dresses that your BMs chose and line it up side by side to get a concrete image of what it would look like.
  • Options
    I did mis-matched, and I got really nervous about everything closer to the wedding.  I got the same 'oh that's interesting' response from people when I told them that I let them pick their own dress.  Once I saw everyone together with their dresses, it looked soooo good.  Everything will be fine, and they'll look great! 
  • Options
    I'm planning on mis-matched too. I feel that my BMs will be more comfortable and happier in dresses they choose themselves (or they already own). The idea has already gotten me some snark and some arguments with my mother, but whatever. :P

Don't worry about what others think of your decision. As long as you're happy with it, go with it!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks guys!  No, I would never ask them to change their dresses but I was just beginning to doubt my decision.  I did take pictures and lined them up side by side and I like it but everyone I've shown it to was like, "Uh, yeah….looks nice" (after a little coaxing).  I know they'll look beautiful.  One will even get to wear the same dress again in another wedding in July.  I told her, "You're welcome" ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards