Snarky Brides

Re: Wow. Just Wow

• I saw it the other day and just couldn't handle it...Seriously? How entitled can you be???? Personally, I couldn't care less if a single person brought us a gift. I just don't understand the need for 'stuff' from people.
  • AzAnnieAzAnnie member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    I didn't see any back story that would would make me think anything was up, but you never know.
  • I feel like this is one of those topics where you will always look bad for complaining or for focusing on the gifts at all.  It's sort of weird that none of her bridesmaids got her anything but you just have to let go of it.

My MOH didn't get me a wedding present but I can let that upset me or I can focus on our friendship.
  • Maybe her BP was just of the same opinion I am, that their presence was present enough.  I will not be getting gifts from my BP because they are all siblings and I understand their financial situations and I won't be getting gifts from any relatives on my side of the family because they are all coming from England and honestly its a great weight off my shoulders because I have no idea where FI and I would stash all that stuff.  

That said, I sort of understand being upset about not getting a card.  But then I love cards, and when people ask me what I want for my birthday/holidays/etc, my answer is always "a really nice card."
  • I understand she's kind of upset about not even getting a TY card for the BM gifts.  And honestly, I'd be upset too if not one single BM got us a gift.  But I would never say anything about it to them!  

I actually think one of my first posts on TK was because my aunt and grandmother both mentioned that they planned to give gifts at the engagement party (idk why they bothered to mention ahead of time) but then neither one of them did.  I had this whole paranoia that my dad somehow convinced his mom and sister not to give gifts, because he thought the party was stupid.  I realize now that came off as sort of entitled, but I wasn't motivated by the physical gift at all: it seemed like an emotional slight, like they changed their minds for some reason.

Both my grandma and aunt ended up sending gifts, like, months later.  There was no evil backstory involving my dad.  They just forgot.  I shouldn't have read anything into it.

But there's another moral to this story: lots of now-regs first start off getting schooled for posting stupid shit like that.  My reaction was, "Oh yeah, I totally should not be worried about the gifts" and I stuck around.  I don't need WeddingBee to blow rainbows up my ass.  I needed a reality check.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I have to think something else is going on for none to do anything. I could see no gift from the no shower, but no card is odd. But, could just be younger and used to everything via text or online. But that seems pretty far fetched. I'm used to everything online, but I respond to an invitation/send congrats in the same format I got them in. BBQ invite via Facebook, I email. Formal wedding invite, I mail a card.

But, I'm human. If that close of friend didn't send a .99 congratulations card, I'd be upset. I don't think I'd say anything to them, but I'd probably pout online a bit.
  • KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I don't think I would be upset if I didn't receive a gift from my maids, but to not even receive a friggin card!? These are supposed to be your nearest and dearest...and at least a note of congratulations should be expected, no?

Of course, I send cards for all kinds of stuff, so maybe I have a different perspective.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'll admit, I didn't give my BFF a gift or even a card when I was her MOH. I did get her a shower gift and I also spent a TON of money on a second shower that she demanded and an OOT bachelorette party that she expected (since a nice evening in our own town wasn't good enough for her). I didn't get a thank you card from her for all that I did for her and I was so broke come the day of the wedding that I couldn't afford to do anything more. Do I feel bad about no card? A little, but then I remember the hell she put me through. In this girl's case, it does seem odd that none of them did anything for her, but we don't know the whole story.
  • delujm0delujm0 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

I men i would at least assume i'd get a card from everyone, and i'd be bummed to not get that, but it's not like it's required or anything.  I have to wonder if there's more going on - i mean NONE of them got her even a card?  How does that happen?  Did they work this out ahead of time?

My 2 BFFs and I are all getting married within a 6 month window and are all in each other's WPs - we agreed before the first wedding that it would be ridiculous to give each other wedding gifts (our circle gives cash predominantly, so we'd just be trading checks around for 6 months).  But i still got her a card.  And i'll do the same for the other one.  we did get each other shower gifts.

• Ooops, I never gave a card or gift to my best friend to my best friend in the world who got married last year. Our relationship does not seem to have suffered one bit. I mean, I helped her put her undergarments on before the wedding. She doesn't need a card from me to know I love her.
  • I didn't get cards from my MoH or one of my Bridesmaids. However, they both profusely thanked me for including them, for the bridesmaids gifts, and were genuinely happy for me. So I really didn't mind. I mean, one of them had to fly across country on a college student budget to be there, and my other friend is a single mom, so any extra money she has goes to her child. Which is completely and totally understandable. 
    So I really didn't even consider it odd at all that I didn't get cards from them. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards