June 2014 Weddings
Options

Need suggestions on seating

Hey ladies,  I am working on my seating plan and going back and forth on seating for couples. We will have a mix of circular tables and banquet tables.  My question is whether or not to seat couples side by side or across from one another at the banquet tables. 

I think I'm *supposed* to seat them side by side but I was curious what people's preferences would be if they were attending a wedding themselves. 

It's a small wedding so everybody who ends up seated together will know the other people at their table, if that makes a difference in your opinion.

I'd appreciate anybody's feedback!

Re: Need suggestions on seating

• Options
    I'd rather sit next to my FI than across from him.

Anniversary

• Options
    yup side by side rather than across
  • Options
    I'd appreciate the opportunity to sit next him, whenever we go to a restaurant(or even eat at home) it's across from each other. It would be a nice and VERY welcome change.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Side by side is the preferred manner.

You could avoid this all together by just assigning people tables and letting them pick their own seats.  (Although if it is a truly giant banquet table, that might get complicated.)
  • Options
    ab6704aab6704a member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment

melbenso said:

Side by side is the preferred manner.

You could avoid this all together by just assigning people tables and letting them pick their own seats.  (Although if it is a truly giant banquet table, that might get complicated.)

We have been planning to do large banquet tables and so that's exactly my concern with letting folks pick their own seats - I'm afraid it will make it more difficult for our larger family groups to sit together.  Since the consensus is that side by side is more appropriate that's what we'll do.  If it becomes too difficult to seat everybody comfortably next to their significant other we'll try to break up the tables into smaller groupings to allow people to pick their own seats.

Thanks for the input everybody.

• Options
    If they are large banquet tables, I think you could do families across from each other.  E.g. Smith family of 4: Mary and John Smith on one side and Jane and Bob Smith on the other.  But I'd still keep couples next to each other.   And if you have little kids coming, make sure young kids have at least one parent next to them.

You could also just break the larger tables into "sections," put table numbers on the sections, and assign people to a section of a table if that were easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards