Snarky Brides
Options

NWR: Where's my cake?

So according to my mother, I am not allowed to bake my own birthday cake because it's "too depressing".

I contend that there is nothing sad about quadruple chocolate cake.

But I've lost my recipe! Can you guys give me your favorite cake recipes?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
eyeroll

Re: NWR: Where's my cake?

• Options
    My favorite is Better Home and Gardens yellow cake from that big red plaid cookbook.  It always comes out so moist and perfect.  http://www.bhg.com/recipe/layer-cakes/yellow-cake/

If you like chocolate, try Irish Car Bomb cupcakes.  http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2011/03/14/irish-car-bomb-cupcakes/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I have an old school chocolate cake and caramel icing from my grandma, but its at home.

Anniversary
  • Options
    My dad makes a triple chocolate mousse cake. It's freaking amazing. I think this recipe is similar. 

• Options
    A box of chocolate cake mix + can of diet cherry cola. Back according to directions on the back of the box. I then use vanilla frosting, drizzle some chocolate syrup and add a few cherries if I'm feeling fancy.
  • Options
    I love all of you!

eyeroll
  • Options
    I love, love, LOVE this recipe (and have for years, even before GF became a thing). I typically use semi-sweet chocolate.

Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    My mom used to bake this all the time when I was a kid. I LOVE this cake.

Be sure to use RC Cola. I don't know why, but it doesn't taste the same if you use other colas.

• Options
    Marzipan13Marzipan13 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    My mom never baked cakes (Baskin Robbins has gotten great business from the Marzipan13 Family) - instead we have a semi-almost-famous chocolate chip cookie recipe.  

That being said, this is my favorite cake recipe that I've fallen head over heels in love with!!

Triple Chocolate Cake
    1  18 oz. box of Devil's Food Cake mix
    1  4 oz. instant chocolate pudding
    2 Tbsp cocoa powder (for dusting)
    4 eggs
    3/4 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup canola oil
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    3 Tbsp amaretto
    1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease 10" bundt pan and dust with cocoa powder.  Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips.  Beat 2 minutes.  Stir in chips.  Bake 50-55 minutes.  Cool in pan for 15 mins.

Very easy, and SO GOSH-DANG DELICIOUS.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    I love, love, LOVE this recipe (and have for years, even before GF became a thing). I typically use semi-sweet chocolate.

One of my friends has very severe Celiac's Disease. I may make this for his birthday!
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Did somebody say chocolate cake? This is my favorite. Cake mix isn't allowed in my house because I'm a snob. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Elizabeths-Extreme-Chocolate-Lovers-Cake/Detail.aspx

• Options
    My FMIL says the same thing about making your birthday cake. I didn't used to agree, but I had a bought cake from a bakery one time and it was aweeeeesoooooooooomeeeee. I was also able to enjoy it more than cakes I make myself because I'm extremely critical and will note dryness or unevenness that no one else will notice. 

In conclusion, make your own cake and also have another cake. Heck, get three.
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My FMIL says the same thing about making your birthday cake. I didn't used to agree, but I had a bought cake from a bakery one time and it was aweeeeesoooooooooomeeeee. I was also able to enjoy it more than cakes I make myself because I'm extremely critical and will note dryness or unevenness that no one else will notice

In conclusion, make your own cake and also have another cake. Heck, get three.
    THISSSSSSSSS. I made my FI a funfetti cake from scratch last year... everyone at the party raved about it but I was like "meh. kinda dry."

I absolutely agree with the advice though.

• Options
    Only reason to make my own cake - it's permission for my greedy pig side to eat the entire cake if I so choose. I've been known to make the Betty Crocker yellow cake, then inhale it without frosting. Usually about every 32 days or so.

Cake is always the right answer.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The only think better than cake is cake with booze. The Irish car bomb cupcakes are amazing. I made them for St. Paddy's.
    If you are willing to stray from cake, these Guinness brownies are like cake and fudge had a tawdry one night stand that resulted in a sweet, sweet fudgey love child. http://homecooking.about.com/od/dessertrecipes/r/blbrownie1.htm
    Wheaton's Law: Don't be a dick.
  • Options
    Okay, I found the recipe! And then I tweaked it... and it was absolutely fantastic. It was super moist on the inside, with a slightly chewy, almost caramelized outer edge. The original recipe calls for serving unsweetened whipped cream on the side, but I improvised something that I like much better.

For those of you who love to bake, here's how to do it.

8 oz dark chocolate
    8 oz unsalted butter (I recommend Kerrygold)
    5 eggs
    1 1/3 cup sugar
    1 tbsp unbleached AP flour
    1 tsp chocolate extract
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp instant espresso powder

Prep: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter one 8-inch round cake pan. A parchment paper circle at the bottom can help also, but make sure to butter the paper also or it will latch onto your cake forever.

1. Finely chop chocolate. Cut butter into 1/2 inch cubes.
    2. In a double boiler (or using the classic bowl-in-pot method) slowly melt chocolate and butter together until smooth.
    3. Remove chocolate mixture from heat and let cool slightly. We'll be adding eggs next and you don't want them to cook.
    4. When the mixture is cool enough, add eggs one at a time, stirring thoroughly in between.
    5. Add sugar, stir.
    6. Add your tablespoon of flour and mix until smooth.
    7. Add chocolate extract, espresso, and salt. (You can skip the salt by using salted butter but I don't recommend it.)
    8. Pour into cake pan.
    9. Bake for approximately 25 minutes. Start checking cake at 15-18 minutes. It's done when the center wobbles only slightly and the top is shiny with a few cracks.

Topping: 1 pint of whipping cream + 1.5 tsp espresso powder. Mix until fluffy (will not fluff if it gets warm--keep it cold!) Spoon generously onto cake, or squeeze directly into mouth if you have no self-control like me.
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Wow. That sounds amazing.

I always make the same chocolate cake: the one-bowl chocolate cake from The Settlement Cookbook. My dad's been making it for years and I took over. I put fresh sliced strawberries in the center and cover it with a chocolate ganache (I don't like frosting). It's ridiculous.

I think I need to try yours. The whipped cream sounds delicious!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards