Connecticut

Outside Caterers, Branford House, Wadsworth Mansion, Lace Factory

Newly engaged and looking at a handful of venues around Connecticut. A few of them require outside caterers, which I am interested in (Branford House, Wadsworth Mansion, Lockwood-Mathews Mansion, Lace Factory). I'm curious about average costs that I should be looking for? We want to get married in November of 2015 - so "off-peak", if that matters. Any help would be great!

Re: Outside Caterers, Branford House, Wadsworth Mansion, Lace Factory

• I think that probably around 100 pp is a good estimate. I am using an off site caterer too and think that that's an average amount.
  • Great! Good to know. Does this include alcohol and service as well? Or are those separate? Thank you for your help!
  • It definitely depends on the catering company. $100 a person is a little too light if you ask me. We were quoted between $115 and $135 a person when we shopped around. And yes, that included alcohol and gratuity.
    Gourmet Galley and Coastal Gourmet were two of the most expensive companies we got quotes from, so they might have been $135 or a little more. It also depends what you want for your menu and alcohol.
  • For me, it is including a full open bar. It all depends on who you use and the types of food your serve...
  • edited May 2014
    I looked into the Lace Factory and they exclusively use Cloud Nine Catering (meaning you have to use that particular caterer). The catering package for a Saturday night is $115 ++. And I was also looking for November 2015. 

That includes bar, servers, rentals, etc I believe 
  • I also looked at the Lace Factory, and did not like their catering policy. Technically, at least when I inquired, you can bring in your own caterer if you do not want to use Cloud Nine, but it costs a few thousand dollars… just to for the venue to allow someone else in! My friend had her wedding at Rocky Neck last August and she used Cloud Nine Catering… and was very disappointed. The owner, Andrea, was very rude, told them their budget was too low, and designed a Mexican themed dinner, when they had asked for a Brazilian inspired menu… the groom was very offended. 

I inquired with the caterers listed above, and you can't go wrong with any of them, at least in regards to food. I think $125 - $155 a person is a realistic range if you want it to include open bar, staffing, and tax. We ended up hiring Emily's Catering, run by an awesome guy named Rick. He is extremely accommodating…. all the way into details like bringing in wine from the local vineyard where we got engaged! We spent less than $125 a person, but also opted for a wine, beer, and vodka open bar instead of a full open bar. 

I would try and negotiate for a November wedding. They all should want to work, so ask what their best price is… and if you can offer cash, that can lower the price too!
  • I am using Emily's - the team there is super amazing and very accommodating! We also looked into Riverhouse - both had similar pricing but we liked the complete package that Emily's offered us. 
    We will be about 125$ per person and did open wine/beer/signature drink with a banging menu and ICE CREAM BAR!!! Branford house wedding - also great staff there! 
  • Thanks so much everyone for your feedback! We are looking at the Wadsworth tonight and I am so excited. I will certainly ask about specialty pricing for a November wedding - and will most likely have more questions.

Thanks!
  • Hi Starlet514 - when you quote $125pp is that before service and tax? Assuming so, just want to confirm. And thanks for the tips on caterers, I am making a list!
  • I'm getting married at Wadsworth in August next year! 

They have a list of 12 caterers that you can work off of. You can bring in your own caterer but its a $750 charge with and $250 charge to the caterer. I haven't booked yet but have been in discussion with a few.

I have a few quotes in you're interested. If you're budget conscious, check out the Carousel Museum, my bridesmaid who is also a bride to be is getting married there next year and they rent out hourly.
  • We are getting married at the Lounsbury House in Ridgefield in August and have had to source external vendors for literally everything. We ended up using Pellicci's Restaurant in Stamford. It is one of our favorite restaurants - we and our families have been going there for years - and they have a great catering business. 

If you end up going with a similar venue and need any other external vendor recommendations, please feel free to reach out! We have sourced everything from the typical (florists, photographer, cake baker, etc.) to the atypical (bartenders, alcohol, serving staff) 
  • hopeh18 how much is the lace factory? is there a min. number of guests?
  • @katytagle for 2015 on a Saturday it's 4,200 to rent the space. Friday and Sunday are 3,600. Then there's a 1,000 discount for April and the first two weekends in May. That's for up to 150 people and the price starts going up beyond 150. And that's for a 5 hour event.
  • @patriciath - I believe it's total without tip, but its a rough estimate, the pricing is done for total package not individual people and I tend to round! 
  • Wow! The Lace Factory has gone up a bit in price. When I inquired for a May 2013 wedding the Saturday rate was $3,500.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards