Registry and Gift Forum

Writing a Check

So, I feel like I should know the answer to this but I don't. A close girlfriend of mine is getting married in 2 weeks and we want to give them a check because we know they've been saving for a down payment. Is it better to make it out to Her MaidenName OR His LastName so that they can deposit it prior to her getting her named changed? (Since I know that can take a while?) Or do we just write it out to His and Her LastName?

Thanks!

Re: Writing a Check

• So, I feel like I should know the answer to this but I don't. A close girlfriend of mine is getting married in 2 weeks and we want to give them a check because we know they've been saving for a down payment. Is it better to make it out to Her MaidenName OR His LastName so that they can deposit it prior to her getting her named changed? (Since I know that can take a while?) Or do we just write it out to His and Her LastName?

Thanks!
    Yes. "Jean Grey or Scott Summers" is the safe way to go so either of them can deposit/cash it.

• Thank you! That was what made sense in my head - I just needed some verification!
  • So, I feel like I should know the answer to this but I don't. A close girlfriend of mine is getting married in 2 weeks and we want to give them a check because we know they've been saving for a down payment. Is it better to make it out to Her MaidenName OR His LastName so that they can deposit it prior to her getting her named changed? (Since I know that can take a while?) Or do we just write it out to His and Her LastName?

Thanks!
    Yes. "Jean Grey or Scott Summers" is the safe way to go so either of them can deposit/cash it.
    Nice choice of examples. :D

Thanks!

Nice choice of examples. :D

Thanks. ;)

• My old old old version of etiquette is that all gifts before the wedding go to the bride. After the wedding, they go to Mr. and Mrs.
  • Honestly, I just write the check to one or the other of them.  It's not as cute, but with the reality of potentially changing names and banking regulations, it's easier to know that it won't be a hassle to cash.  
  • Honestly, I just write the check to one or the other of them.  It's not as cute, but with the reality of potentially changing names and banking regulations, it's easier to know that it won't be a hassle to cash.  

This.

Anniversary
  • Awesome, Thanks for the feedback!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards