Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Morning wedding attire

Hi ladies, My fi and I are getting married in October at 11:30 am with a brunch reception following. What do the groom and groomsmen usually wear at a morning wedding? I've actually never been to one. Anyone who had one, what did you guys do? I'm wearing a tea length dress if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Re: Morning wedding attire

• Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    My husband wore a suit. His groomswoman wore a skirt suit. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Suits:
    Or morning suits:

• Options
    Traditional morning dress as seen in the second pic in doeydo's post would be my pref, but any suit is fine.  Tuxes are just too formal.  For some reason, I don't like black suits that early -- grey brown or navy?
  • Options
    OjewelOjewel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Thanks! That morning coat is dreamy! I'll have to see what the groom thinks!
  • Options
    Traditional morning dress as seen in the second pic in doeydo's post would be my pref, but any suit is fine.  Tuxes are just too formal.  For some reason, I don't like black suits that early -- grey brown or navy?
    A morning coat is too formal if the bride is wearing a tea length dress.  Tuxedos and morning dress are equally formal, but tuxedos should not be worn in the daytime.  They are for evening wear only.

I would suggest a nice business suit for a daytime wedding.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    A morning coat is too formal if the bride is wearing a tea length dress.  Tuxedos and morning dress are equally formal, but tuxedos should not be worn in the daytime.  They are for evening wear only.

I would suggest a nice business suit for a daytime wedding.
    Agreed that the morning coat needs to be paired up with a formal wedding gown to look right.  Definitely go with a suit!
  • Options
    OjewelOjewel member
    Gotcha. Thanks! We looked at a couple nice grey suits online and I think we will end up with one of them.
  • Options
    Those grey three-piece suits look dashing.  And would be perfect with a tea-length dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    OjewelOjewel member
    Actually we saw a nice one almost exactly like the grey ones doeydo posted, at men's warehouse. THey do call it a tux though, but it just looks like a really nice suit to me.
  • Options
    KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Ojewel said:

Actually we saw a nice one almost exactly like the grey ones doeydo posted, at men's warehouse. THey do call it a tux though, but it just looks like a really nice suit to me.

I believe I have seen the same one - it has a stripe down the sides of the pants if I remember correctly. That is indicative of a tuxedo rather than a suit.

You might consider buying a suit as opposed to renting one if you can afford it. Renting isn't really cheap (about $200) and you could spend a little more and get a nice suit he can wear again. That's what we did. Renting just didn't make sense. We bought a really nice charcoal grey suit from Jos A Bank for about $300 with tailoring. Including his accessories (shoes, belt, shirt, tie, pocket square) the whole thing was ~$500-600. JC Penney had suits on sale when we were there last week.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Morning suits (the pinstriped trousers, tail coat and waistcoat) is the daytime equivalent of a tuxedo. A tuxedo should never be worn before 6pm. They should technically not be worn without top hat and gloves, but this tradition is falling away in some circles. 

I agree if it is being paired with a tea length dress, chose a nice suit. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards