Wedding Etiquette Forum

Accidental Bridezilla

Re: Accidental Bridezilla

• APDSS22APDSS22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    APDSS22 said:
    I'm glad she forgave you @ciferri053015 . Trust me when I say what any of your guests are wearing (even your bridal party) will not be what you remember from your wedding day.
    I actually remember what one of my guests wore at my wedding.  And that is only because it was beyond hideous and so short that her ass (thanks to her wearing a thong) showed every time she slightly bent over.  But I will say I only remember it in a funny way and joke about it with my Mom. The horrible short dress didn't ruin my wedding, but rather it allowed for another hilarious memory from our day.  So really, bad wardrobe choices by your guests end up being a great thing :)
    Yeah, maybe I lied a little bit since I do remember a similar dress on a guest of mine (mostly because a mutual friend tried to apologize for her being dressed pretty darn inappropriately to go to a church wedding.)  But I will say I have no idea what her shoes looked like.

• I'm glad the crisis was averted.  Just think one less choice you have to make!

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @APDSS22 - I remember the shoes of my guests because they made the outfit that much worse.  But again, I thought it was funny then and I still find it funny now.  And even the guest I am speaking of saw pictures of herself later and then yelled at her Mom for letting her wear something so horrendous.

• I apologized and she quickly forgave me!
    Good on ya!
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • I'm glad you apologized and she forgave you. There are so much bigger things to think about during planning a wedding.
  • I remember having serious shoe envy of the adorable peep-toe booties my BM/SIL wore. They were awesome.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I was in one wedding where had all had to wear matching shoes, and the bride bought us our shoes. All the other wedding, it was all, "wear nude" or "wear black". I would always take a picture and show the bride to get her "okay" before buying a new pair, but they were usually pretty laid back about it.
  • lizhurtlizhurt member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
    I was under the impression that your wedding is your day and that your bridesmaids should wear the dress, shoes, hairstyle, and accessories you want if that is your choice. That does NOT make you a bridezilla. I personally am choosing my bridemaids' looks head to toe, and they don't care! They know I have impeccable taste and want a traditional look. I think if you want your bridesmaids to pick their own, they can, and if you don't, you don't have to. Any bridesmaid that puts up a fuss is forgetting the point of being one: to honor and stand next to the bride on HER special day, not to wear an outfit.
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    lizhurt said:
    I was under the impression that your wedding is your day and that your bridesmaids should wear the dress, shoes, hairstyle, and accessories you want if that is your choice. That does NOT make you a bridezilla. I personally am choosing my bridemaids' looks head to toe, and they don't care! They know I have impeccable taste and want a traditional look. I think if you want your bridesmaids to pick their own, they can, and if you don't, you don't have to. Any bridesmaid that puts up a fuss is forgetting the point of being one: to honor and stand next to the bride on HER special day, not to wear an outfit.
    No.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • lizhurt said:
    Your impression is wrong.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• lizhurtlizhurt member

Wow so much hate for no reason. I think it's ridiculous for someone to judge me on my choices when I haven't done that to anyone choosing to have their bridesmaids in non-matching dresses/shoes/hairstyles, etc. And YES I have been a bridesmaid, just two weeks ago. I felt so honored to have been chosen to stand up next to my friend on HER special day that I would have worn whatever she asked me to. It is an absolute honor to be asked to be a bridesmaid, and anyone who says otherwise doesn't get it. I don't see my girls as living dolls or props, I just prefer the traditional look of everything matching. I didn't make this up people!! And no, I will not be buying their dresses or shoes, but we probably will spring for their hair and an accessory. I just happen to be a person who cares deeply about aesthetics and wants everything looking perfect. And don't worry etiquette police, I have been stopped from putting suggested guest attire on my invites, although I will be spreading the word like wildfire.

And yes, it is MY special day. I have dreamed of it my entire life. MY day to celebrate MY way with the people I love most and to stand before God and my family and friends and declare my love for my fiancé. He isn't a prop either, BTW, but I will dress him as handsomely as I can :) Basically, I think to each bride her own, but I am glad I gave you all something to huff and puff about as you go along in your boring days.

• My bridesmaids all wore nude shoes (their pick of color, actually). They were all different heights and styles, though. I also didn't care what they did with their hair or what jewelry they wore. Nobody cares what shoes they're wearing.
    My colors are "blood of my enemies" and "rage".

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3h1kr8sYk1qzve89.gif
  • lizhurt said:

Wow so much hate for no reason. I think it's ridiculous for someone to judge me on my choices when I haven't done that to anyone choosing to have their bridesmaids in non-matching dresses/shoes/hairstyles, etc. And YES I have been a bridesmaid, just two weeks ago. I felt so honored to have been chosen to stand up next to my friend on HER special day that I would have worn whatever she asked me to. It is an absolute honor to be asked to be a bridesmaid, and anyone who says otherwise doesn't get it. I don't see my girls as living dolls or props, I just prefer the traditional look of everything matching. I didn't make this up people!! And no, I will not be buying their dresses or shoes, but we probably will spring for their hair and an accessory. I just happen to be a person who cares deeply about aesthetics and wants everything looking perfect. And don't worry etiquette police, I have been stopped from putting suggested guest attire on my invites, although I will be spreading the word like wildfire.

And yes, it is MY special day. I have dreamed of it my entire life. MY day to celebrate MY way with the people I love most and to stand before God and my family and friends and declare my love for my fiancé. He isn't a prop either, BTW, but I will dress him as handsomely as I can :) Basically, I think to each bride her own, but I am glad I gave you all something to huff and puff about as you go along in your boring days.

If you want to be traditional, your bridesmaids should all match YOU (as in they all wear the big poofy wedding dress and veil).  That was the purpose of matching in the first place--to confuse the evil spirits.  

If you're just making them match, you're treating your bridesmaids like your personal barbie dolls and that's not cool.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • arrippaarrippa member
    lizhurt said:
  • lizhurtlizhurt member
    Again everyone is misconstrued and just needs their five minutes to be a know it all. I guess "traditional" for you guys means going back to Victorian days, but I was picturing the classic images of weddings from the 50s, 60s and 70s of bridesmaids in matching gowns. I also don't think I am treating anyone poorly by soliciting their opinions in choosing matching looks for the group. I never once said I was going to pick soley based on my own preference. I know everyone has different sizes, hair, and faces, but with the myriad choices available, I think we can find a cohesive look for five girls. What I don't understand is why this bothers everyone so much when it doesn't bother my bridesmaids at all. And as for the MY stuff, I think everyone deserves a day once in a while that is all about them. It doesn't make me selfish and it doesn't mean I will be neglecting the importance of my fiancé, family, friends or community on this day. Really sad that there are so many bridal bullies out there who can't just respect others' choices and be supportive. Women helping women y'all. Just saying...
  • @phira didn't you see, it's HER DAY!!! To be a magical special princess on HER special day! And controlling how everyone looks will ruin HER day because it's HER day to be special. Every person woman deserves a SPECIAL MAGICAL DAY ALL ABOUT THEM.
  • lizhurt said:

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• arrippaarrippa member
    lizhurt said:
    Again everyone is misconstrued and just needs their five minutes to be a know it all. I guess "traditional" for you guys means going back to Victorian days, but I was picturing the classic images of weddings from the 50s, 60s and 70s of bridesmaids in matching gowns. I also don't think I am treating anyone poorly by soliciting their opinions in choosing matching looks for the group. I never once said I was going to pick soley based on my own preference. I know everyone has different sizes, hair, and faces, but with the myriad choices available, I think we can find a cohesive look for five girls. What I don't understand is why this bothers everyone so much when it doesn't bother my bridesmaids at all. And as for the MY stuff, I think everyone deserves a day once in a while that is all about them. It doesn't make me selfish and it doesn't mean I will be neglecting the importance of my fiancé, family, friends or community on this day. Really sad that there are so many bridal bullies out there who can't just respect others' choices and be supportive. Women helping women y'all. Just saying...
    Sometimes the best help is when someone tells you NOT to do something.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards