Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Colored Corset Back Dress Ribbon

thenewmrsqthenewmrsq member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
Has anyone bought or dyed the ribbon for their corset back wedding dress? If yes, do you have any pictures of how it turned out? (I have google searched and seen some pictures online, but I'd like to see actual wedding pictures where you can see the colored ribbon) Also, where did you buy it, or get it dyed?  Any other thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Edited for clarification

Re: Colored Corset Back Dress Ribbon

• Options
    I am not sure what you are talking about.  Are you talking about the ribbon that ties up the corset?

• Options
    I am not sure what you are talking about.  Are you talking about the ribbon that ties up the corset?
    Yes. Sorry, my bridal salon referred to it as corset piping (which I always thought was another part of an actual corset, but thats neither here nor there), but I am referring to the ribbon.
  • Options
    Oh okay.  Well if you just want a different color ribbon to tie up your corset then you can just buy ribbon in the color of your choice and width of your choice at your local fabric or craft store.  Just make sure that whatever ribbon you choose holds a knot well so that it doesn't slowly come undone during the night.

I believe @HobokenBride2012 changed the ribbon to her corset dress to pink, I believe.

But here are some pics of real brides who changed up the ribbon...

• Options
    I used a black ribbon to lace up the corset of my wedding dress.  I talked to the woman who owned the store where I bought the dress and she told me I could use any double-faced stain or grosgrain ribbon.  I got a ton of complements on the black ribbon -- here's a picutre:

• Options
    @Ven&Radio ... That's gorgeous!! Do you happen to remember where you bought your ribbon? I've looked at Joanns and other fabric stores, but I'm kind of busty (36DD), and I want to make sure the ribbon can take the strain! My salon thought I was crazy when I mentioned it, so they weren't as helpful as you've been so far!
  • Options

Oooohhh!  I really like that! 

I bought a blue sash that runs long in the back.  It's 2" in front then gets thicker toward the ends. But, it looks too plain, so we are working on adding beading to it. There is a gorgeous beaded sash that came with my dress that we were going to attach or just lay over the blue sash. I really like the pop of color, but so far I haven't found it to be perfectly to my liking. So, this may be another option. . Maybe I just use the plain beaded sash, as it came, and use colored ribbon for the corset and have it run long in the back. I have 2nd fitting for my dress tomorrow, so I'll have to discuss with my seamstress.

• Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    A couple of more pictures:
  • Options
    Oooo, these pictures make me wish that I had a corset-back dress!
  • Options
    I think I ordered from M&J Trimming? Something like that. I'm a 42D and the ribbon held up just fine.
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would avoid dying the ribbon in case it rubs off on your dress. 
  • Options
    Holy cow! I didn't even know that this was a thing. It kind of makes me wish I had a corset back as well... Anyways, I think whatever you do it will look lovely. And yeah, I agree with others have said, get a ribbon rather than dying the one that came with the dress. Like @elcab said, you don't want that to rub off on your dress, which it might do if something is spilled on it, or anything like that.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! And @Ven&Radio - M&J Trimming had just the color I was looking for, thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Also, I totally ordered a black ribbon too, JIC my color looks different in person ... when I saw your picture, I couldn't resist! :D
  • Options
    That's great! I probably should have mentioned this in my original post, but I was advised to get at least 3.5 yards for "regular" or 5 yards for "plus" size dresses. I ordered extra because I figured it was better to cut off some excess than not have enough!
  • Options
    I ordered 4 yards! I had the seamstress measure the length of the ribbon that came with my dress, it was 163 inches, and there was about 4 feet or so of extra ribbon in the bow once it was tied off. So, i figured 144 inches would be enough, glad to see that I guessed right!
  • Options
    Oh okay.  Well if you just want a different color ribbon to tie up your corset then you can just buy ribbon in the color of your choice and width of your choice at your local fabric or craft store.  Just make sure that whatever ribbon you choose holds a knot well so that it doesn't slowly come undone during the night.

I believe @HobokenBride2012 changed the ribbon to her corset dress to pink, I believe.

But here are some pics of real brides who changed up the ribbon...

Good memory @Maggie0829. Here are pics of my dress. I ordered my ribbon through the AA salon.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards