Wedding Reception Forum

Reception Timeline

I just heard back from my venue coordinator and this was the timeline that she suggested:

1/2 hour for the ceremony

1 hour for cocktail hour

4 hours for the reception

We're having a Friday wedding. Ideally, I'd like to start the ceremony at 6pm, cocktail hour at 6:30 and reception at 7:30. But, I don't want to be rude and feed guests late. Even though the reception starts at 7:30, there's the introductions, first dance, toasts and then dinner which I'm estimating at 8pm. Is that too late? I haven't been to a wedding reception in a while, so any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
image 36 Yes
image 2 No
image 21 Unknown

Re: Reception Timeline

• That wouldn't be too late for me, but for some people it might be. Could you have the salad served while you do toasts or something so that people can start eating while you're doing all the traditional stuff?
  • That wouldn't be too late for me, but for some people it might be. Could you have the salad served while you do toasts or something so that people can start eating while you're doing all the traditional stuff?

Hmm, good question, I'll e-mail the venue coordinator.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but our cocktail hour is having crudites, fruit and cheese and passed hor d'oeuvres (fried mac & cheese, fried, calmari, etc). So maybe having a little more at the cocktail hour would help?

Our venue coordinator has been more than helpful, so I'm sure she wouldn't have a problem with having salads brought out at 7:30.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I don't think that is too late.  If people eat earlier they will most likely eat a snack on the way to your ceremony to hold them over.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards