Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Dollar DASH.

I was at a wedding a month ago where the bride and groom did a dollar dash. I had never heard of it, and hope to NEVER experience it again. The bride, groom, and wedding party got on the dance floor and had a men vs. women competition to see who could go around and grab the most cash from guests. They took five minutes and the guests were to hold the cash up from their wallet so the bridal party could come around and grab it for the couple. FI and I decided to not partake as we had spent all of our cash on the cash bar. Usually cash bars don't bother me so much, but it included ALL beverages besides water. Needless to say we politely excused ourselves from the reception right after the dollar dash.

I PRAY that the Dollar Dash doesn't become a trend.  

Re: Dollar DASH.

• Options
    EEEK
    ---
    tabbicakes 

133 image     74 image     59   image   
    RSVP Date: September 20

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Merlin's beard, what's next? The dollar dump, where guests deposit bills into a receptacle to be dumped on the happy couple? The dollar dip, where guests throw change into a large pool and the B & G have to swim to the bottom to collect the money?
  • Options
    Oh, ew.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    ElcaB said:
    Merlin's beard, what's next? The dollar dump, where guests deposit bills into a receptacle to be dumped on the happy couple? The dollar dip, where guests throw change into a large pool and the B & G have to swim to the bottom to collect the money?
    Even better, what about one of those machines that blow money around and you have to try and reach out and grab as much as you can in a minute.  The guests can just deposit their required 50 $1 bills into the collection bin at the beginning of the reception.

• Options
    MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Really disgusted by these greedy money grabs that happen at wedding receptions. 
  • Options
    l9il9i member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I was at a wedding where this happened.  The B&G pulled in a LOT of money from this but I found it incredibly tacky.  They have no idea who they got money from or could thank them or anything... Will not be doing anything close to this or a dollar dance - just no.
  • Options
    Gross. I would be horrified to be in the bridal party! Pretty sure I would have to use the restroom riiiiiight when it started.
  • Options

This... seriously, what's wrong with people? What a disaster. I need wine. lol, hope they don't charge me for it!! Haha

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Ohdearlord.  I think this would cause me to leave that wedding reception, right that second.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I can imagine this is how you were feeling when you saw the cash bar, and then the dollar dash...

47 GIFs For Any Trolling Scenario
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    Gross. I would be horrified to be in the bridal party! Pretty sure I would have to use the restroom riiiiiight when it started.

STUCK IN BOX****
    That's the worse part is they are making other people do the collecting! AWKWARD!!! 

I was a BM in my stepsisters wedding that was a traditional Cambodian wedding (with 450 guests), and wow it was a quite an experience. You don't really invite people you just spread the word and whomever can just show up. Instead of gifts you pay for yourself. So part of the night is spent with the WP and parents collecting the money. I was like WTH??! I was able to grab the job of handing out the favors as we went around to feel less awkward, but it's just part of the night for that culture. They make you do shots and stand on chairs so you have to jump to get the money and just play around with the whole thing. It's all in envelopes so you can tell they came with this much to give, they aren't caught of guard with having to open their wallet randomly. But the whole thing was strange to me!

Anniversary
  • Options
    Bubblegum5586Bubblegum5586 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2014
    Double post.... I figured out what happened before I clicked a 3rd time!

Anniversary
  • Options
    The first time I heard of this was on TK. I LOVE that this is an international forum and I get to learn about all different types of traditions, whether they be religious or regional but this is one I wish I had never heard about. I would rather puppies farting rainbows than know such a thing exists.
  • Options
    I think in the future I'll prepare myself by bringing monopoly money to weddings...then I can participate in all the speshul "traditions"!

• Options
    This is HORRIFYING!

Those poor, poor guests.

image   image   image

• Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    ElcaB said:
    Even better, what about one of those machines that blow money around and you have to try and reach out and grab as much as you can in a minute.  The guests can just deposit their required 50 $1 bills into the collection bin at the beginning of the reception.
    As an added bonus, they must be covered in sticky maple syrup to ensure a maximum result. 
  • Options
    So, the defense of the dollar dance is the whole we get to spend special time with guests! Who pay to dance with us. Which does not make us strippers. Whats the defense of this one?
  • Options
    I...just can't even...
  • Options
    @SimplyFated, and that's why my head hurts. Also it reminds me of a story.

So before my friend got married, her friend got married (Steph). Steph decided to have a dollar dance. Steph told my friend she should do it at her wedding because she's shy and has trouble going up to and just talking to people so this would "force" her to interact. In stead, my friend and her husband went around and gave each guest a chocolate and spoke with them. Because forcing interaction was a good idea for them and this gave them a way to do that that wasn't rude and involved chocolate.

Also Steph, raised $38 with her dollar dance. Doesn't sound worth it to me.
  • Options
    beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    Lord help me, if I ever got so low on money that I decided the best way to pay for shit was to get people to pay to hang out with me, it better be back at the club. Not to people I'm calling guests.

Dollar dances*, or people making it rain on you are ONLY acceptable if you are working at a strip club. 

Don't do that shit at your wedding unless you are about to make it clap.

*ETF: Dollar dances where people pin money to you/hand you money as payment for dancing with you. I do not want to lump in other cultures' dollar dances with this, because I am not a part of them, so I can't speak on it.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Well now I have heard of everything.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards