Wisconsin

Married ladies: changing your name

I just want to make sure I have the process straight and didn't miss anything. We were married in Wisconsin but currently live in Minnesota. In WI, only your maiden name is on your marriage certificate, correct? I've been running into questions here in MN because brides list what their married name will be when they apply for their marriage license. I could have sworn they told me to just list my maiden name on the license application and then they gave me the instructions on how to change your name with Social Security. Then I can apply for a new driver's license, passport, change financial stuff, etc.

Am I missing something?

Re: Married ladies: changing your name

• edited December 2011
    thesaltypeanut's bio has info on WI name change.  She has a pretty good list of what needs to be done for all sorts of things.  I'm not sure if it will help you.  Her bio is here:

GL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You are correct, Wisconsin marraige licenses / certificates ONLY list your maiden name. 

Once you are able to pick up (or have mailed to you) a copy of your marriage certificate, you can take that to the SSA office to change your name (bring your current SS card and current DL for proof of identity).  The staff will fill out the form and collect any information and signatures that they need from you at that point.  They will give you a letter stating that you have changed your name with their office due to marriage and it will state when you can expect your new card to arrive.

Some DMVs are different, but when I got married I was able to take a copy of my marriage certificate and the letter from the SSA to the DMV that same day and get my new license (some DMV's make you wait until you get your new SS card).

Once you have both of these documents, you can change your name everywhere else.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards