Not Engaged Yet
Options

NWR: Moving vent.

lilacck28lilacck28 member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited May 2014 in Not Engaged Yet
My fiance and I are moving back to our home state; he is starting graduate school there. We were just quoted $3500 to move our stuff. AHHHHHHHH. So we're going to hire laborers to help us move the big stuff into a truck, and we'll have to either beg his parents or mine to drive a uhaul type truck for us, or we'll have to drive his car home and buy plane tickets back to our current city and drive the damn unwieldy truck ourselves. Or I guess we could get rid of all of our furniture, but we would still have to hire laborers to move it out of our apartment, and we have clothes and things that will not fit in one car unless we do MANY back and forth trips, plus replacing that furniture will cost $3000 anyway. Rocks and hard places and I have so much to be thankful for but UGH I hate moving. 

Re: NWR: Moving vent.

• Options
    You can get a tow dolly and tow the car behind the uhaul... It makes it a little more unweildy, but not that bad. I moved from VA to KY and KY to upstate NY that way. The trucks are pretty easy to drive actually, but sort of frustrating that you can't go very fast, especially while towing!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    It's so good to hear that they are easy enough to drive. What company truck did you use? Fiance's parents are convinced that we should just leave half our furniture behind and do five back and forth 6-8 hour trips with our suvs/ cars because the trucks are "impossible to drive!!" which is driving me insane. I have never experienced inlaw frustration before. It begins. 
  • Options

I've used uhaul and Penske - the Penske trucks were MUCH nicer, but didn't have Uhaul's signature low deck, so they were a lot harder to load and unload.

I think Penske had the better long distance rates, that's why I went with them originally - plus Uhaul screwed me over big time one time.  Penske also has a decent AAA discount from what I recall, though this was in 07 and 08 that I used them.

If you have a uhaul in your town, they're pretty cheap by the day if you want to try it out - - maybe it would come to $50 or $60, but if it eases your mind, it's the much cheaper option if you can get comfortable with it.... Or you'll know before the day of if you can't do it!  I can't imagine having a truck full of stuff and not being able to move it!

But I'm also the type that would just do it anyway to save the money, come hell or high water ;-)

• Options
    Right now we're leaning towards Budget, as they seem to have the best rates for when/ where we want to move, but all of that was great advice. Thank you. Maybe we'll try a truck out ahead of time, which will give us some practice, and calm down his parents. We've come to the conclusion that FI's parents are just being a little cray cray, which is not helping me out with my own craziness that comes with stress about moving. Again, I hate moving, and packing, and driving long hours, and... yeah. Deep breathing exercises. 
  • Options
    Is there a reason you don't want to move the furniture out of the house? You shouldn't necessarily need laborers. Get some friends together and just work together.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My good friends are moving right before we do, so there aren't really any people that I would feel comfortable requesting that amount of help from, except for parents, but they have hernias and back problems. And we live in an apartment building in a big city, so its a little more complicated to navigate the furniture than if it was a house in the suburbs. 
  • Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2014
    Honestly, even if my best friends and FI's best friends lived here, I still probably wouldn't ask them for help. Moving a few boxes is one thing, but couches and bed sets and dressers and dining tables and huge rugs and book cases seems like just too much of a burden to expect of friends whom I'm sure do not want to take a day out of their lives to help with physical labor. 
  • Options
    When we moved, we had our friends help move all of our furniture out and paid them with pizza and beer at the end of the day. Saved us a ton of money.
    Anniversary

• Options
    When we moved, we had our friends help move all of our furniture out and paid them with pizza and beer at the end of the day. Saved us a ton of money.

SITB:
    We did the same thing too. I closed on my house on a Wednesday or Thursday, moved most of the small boxes myself in my hatchback Thursday and Friday. Saturday my friend and I moved my mattress, box spring, some lighter furniture until my landlord showed up to help (he's awesome I miss him), took her out to lunch.

Sunday we rented a UHaul, FI moved his stuff that day and any other big furniture I had, we bought amazing pizza and beer and everyone swam in the pool, it was fun!

Unpacking though, UGHHHHHHHH...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    We're planning the same, and we're shocked at how many people are just volunteering to help. I feel blessed!
  • Options
    @KeptInStictches same here. Our friends were more than happy to volunteer when they found out we were moving. Its nice to have such good friends :)  Once we mentioned free beer we had several more people come help us haha.
    Anniversary

• Options
    BF & I moved by ourselves this last time - it was just across our complex, but we went from a first floor to a second floor, and it was a HUGE pain in the ass. We didn't get our couch upstairs for like three days because we were just so tired and exhausted. 

I told him the next time we move, we're hiring movers, no questions asked. I'm too old for this shit again.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

I'm totally with you on the hiring help!!

They get in & get out and it's done!

My stupid last bf wouldn't allow me to hire movers to get my stuff out of his place because he thought they might cause damage, so I had to help him move my stuff into the truck for hours upon hours.

I had a crew waiting at my new place, and the truck was emptied within the hour!!!

• Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    My BF and I moved our an entire 4 bedroom house (living room & family room furniture as well) all by ourselves.  It was horrible!  We also have this ridiculously heavy dresser that barely made it up the stairs to our townhome.  I'm definitely hiring movers when our lease is up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards