Wedding Etiquette Forum

Is this a thing?

2»

Re: Is this a thing?

• jdluvr06 said:

I don't see how this would be any more uncomfortable than a shower.

I agree. Shower awkwardness for me depends on who the shower is for. If it's a close family member, this wouldn't bother me. I wouldn't go if it were just a random friend and we weren't wedding party, though.

• APDSS22 said:

I've heard of day after brunches and even witnessed one couple opening presents at the reception like it was some sort of birthday party but I've never heard of waiting until after the honeymoon.

H and I ended up with our immediate families after we picked up the reception in comfy clothes with a pile of gifts.  The only people who weren't related to us were one of his groomsmen and his wife who are super close friends and helped us pick up (they offered).  We didn't open the cards because we figure no one needs to see us pull out gift cards, checks or cash (we opened those back in the room afterwards).  His parents were the ones transporting our gifts to our house because we lived 2 hours away from the city we got married in and it was on their way home.  We didn't plan it out, it just sort of occurred.  Worked nicely though.

I've never been to a day after brunch for gift opening, but I have seen it done during small wedding receptions (under 50 guests). The couple opens things and offers in-person thank you's. It gets mixed reviews. I thought it was boring--too much like a grad party--but others seemed to enjoy being able to see everyone's reactions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards