Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

My Fiance hates my dress!

Well, I think he does. I went shopping with my mom and picked out a modest lace fit and flare (Mikealla style #1864). I think it's perfectly appropriate for my outdoor wedding, although I had imagined myself wearing something a bit sexier. I showed my fiance a bunch of pics of dresses on pinterest, including this one, and he said he didn't like it because it looked "too conservative". Of course I didnt tell him it was the dress I put a deposit on. Now I feel like I made a terrible choice. What do I do?

Re: My Fiance hates my dress!

• Options
    If your groom doesn't think you look gorgeous when you walk down the aisle as his bride in the dress you feel beautiful in, he doesn't deserve you. 

Your dress is stunning. 
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If you love it, you made the right choice. FWIW, I think anyone can make a conservative dress sexy with the right attitude, hair, and makeup. 
  • Options
    Well, I think he does. I went shopping with my mom and picked out a modest lace fit and flare (Mikealla style #1864). I think it's perfectly appropriate for my outdoor wedding, although I had imagined myself wearing something a bit sexier. I showed my fiance a bunch of pics of dresses on pinterest, including this one, and he said he didn't like it because it looked "too conservative". Of course I didnt tell him it was the dress I put a deposit on. Now I feel like I made a terrible choice. What do I do?
    Nothing. You've already bought the dress (and if you really wanted his honest opinion, you shouldn't have tried to trick him), so there's not much you can do.

Plus, I assure you, when he sees you on your wedding day, he'll think you're gorgeous.

I really wouldn't say I tried to trick him! Obviously I want him to honestly love the way I look on our wedding day. I just asked what he thought of it.

But thanks for the pep talk everyone! It's difficult when what you have in your head isn't what you wind up with sometimes!

• Options
    I think it's elegant and classy in a very sexy way. Not modest at all.
  • Options
    He won't even slightly remember the dress when you are wearing it looking like a piece of hunka hunka burning love. ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The dress is PERFECT combination of sexy and classy! The lace makes it conservative but the mermaid style that hugs your curves definitely adds the sexiness. It's beautiful and I'm sure he will think so too as long as the woman he loves is in it! :)
  • Options
    I think it's a great choice! and definitely not conservative. I ran into this a lot with FI and basically I think his notion of conservative is how much cleavage can he see.... 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    mrsb53mrsb53 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Dresses can look different in pictures and actually in person, and guys sometimes aren't good judgers of how something will look in real life, so I wouldn't worry about it. He should think you are beautiful.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My sister-in-law had the same thing happen to her, her fiancee at the time pointed to a dress in a magazine and said "As long as you don't wear something like that!" And it was her dress. She was so stressed, but when he saw her in it, he didn't even know it was the dress he hated... so don't worry! Dresses look different on different people and I'm sure he will think you look BEAUTIFUL!
  • Options
    KCLindgrenKCLindgren member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    You will look amazing and he will think you're gorgeous. Like the other poster said, he won't even remember you showed him a picture of this dress by the time the wedding comes.
  • Options
    He's marrying you, and, because he loves you, anything you wear that day will be perfect. As long as you love it and feel great it in, then it's the perfect dress for you! Congratulations!
  • Options
    I doubt he will even remember seeing the dress. I know my FI doesn't remember what he had for breakfast! That dress is stunning and you are going to rock it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Let's just say this ... I show my fiance pics of clothes all the time. He often hates them.

I buy them anyway and when I wear them he often says, "cute, where'd you get that?" or "is that new, I like it." 

Pics and in person are two VERY different things ... especially with a wedding dress.

Did you go to the store and see some dresses you thought were hideous/unattractive, try them on anyway, and go WOW that looks awesome...

Same thing. Just roll with it -- he will think you look beautiful and if you love it, he will love it.
  • Options
    I asked FI what kind of dress he saw me wearing on our wedding day and his words were "knowing you, something with a cardigan!" Hahaha, I think most men don't really have any real big expectations for what their FI's wear because they know you will look beautiful in whatever you choose to wear.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I didn't even show my husband mine though he was dying to see. I made him wait muahahaha.

Ultimately, he is marrying you b/c loves you. Dresses look a lot different online and on the models than on you. Those models are not realistic anyhow. I am sure you will look lovely and he will think so too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Marzipan13Marzipan13 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    If your FI is anything like my FI (that is, a dude who doesn't know anything about bridal fashion, let alone women's fashion in general), when he sees you on your wedding day, he won't remember that the dress you're wearing is the one he said months ago was "too conservative".
    I know I'd feel kind of defeated if that happened to me too, but then again, that's why I'm keeping my dress a secret from him until those church doors open.

ETA:  Not keeping it a secret because I don't think FI will like it, but because I like it enough to not need / want his input.  He'll think it's beautiful the day of, and that's it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    I showed FI a couple catalogs before I went shopping. I got a pretty good idea of what he did and didn't like in the photos, but when it came time to choose, it was all about how I felt and how they fit. Don't stress. You chose that dress for a reason. :-)
  • Options

Isn't this kind of a funny tradition, that what dress the bride is going to show up in is a surprise to the groom?  Like he cares AT ALL? I was reading this thinking I'd like to ask FI what he pictures my dress looks like, to see if it's anything like what I actually picked.  Then I realized, he probably isn't sitting around picturing my dress at all.  Haha.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This actually made me curious so I asked my FI what he hoped my dress looked like... he said "Uh, idk, no long sleeves or turtleneck? You always look good baby, I'm sure whatever you picked will be awesome." Right answer babe. Then he went on to say he likes mermaid style, which happens to be what I got. Boom!

• Options
    Agree with PP, but also: you showed your fiance pinterest pictures, which means they weren't pictures of YOU in the dress. Besides the fact that clothes fit many people differently, and that they look different in person, I think it makes a MAJOR difference that it was a picture of some random woman. When its you in the dress, and you're all smiley and glowy, I bet he'll think you're gorgeous. 
  • Options
    That dress is beautiful! i think you should should keep the dress. Don't worry about what your fiancé says. Im sure you will look great and he will change his mind when he sees you! 
  • Options
    I am old enough to remember when brides were supposed to be demure, not sexy!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

CMGragain said:
    I am old enough to remember when brides were supposed to be demure, not sexy!
    I really don't think this is the common goal among brides today. I've never known anyone in real life who wanted to look "sexy". I've certainly heard that on tv shows, and have seen brides on the knot that want to. But I feel like its become a very individualized thing, as opposed to the time you reference where everyone theoretically had one goal--demure and virginal. Just as many women seem to prefer "beautiful" or "ethereal" or "pretty" or "glamorous" or "vintage" as there are who deem "sexy" their goal. Personally, I prefer pretty, feminine, and ethereal.  
  • Options
    This is my dress too!!!! :)  I fell in love with it, and it fits my wedding too...also outdoors!  This dress is gorgeous, and like all the others said, he'll think you're beautiful...it won't matter what he thought initially..he probably won't even recognize it! 
  • Options
    My husband said he didn't want me to have a "cupcake dress"-- something poofy-- but that's what I got! He noticed, for sure, and he may not have loved the dress, but he loves me. And the dress made ME happy, so I got it. You're more than your dress, and more than your wedding day! He's not marrying a dress, he's marrying you! http://alittlewifeshappylife.blogspot.com/2014/05/planning-wedding-can-make-you-dull-you.html
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards