Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Commitment Ceremony

Hey Knotties!

Are you planning to do a commitment ceremony or did you and your partner have one? Share your stories here!

xo,
KP

Re: Commitment Ceremony

• Options
    Hey @shrekspeare -- Good question. Looking for stories of couples who decided to do a commitment ceremony instead of a legal marriage.
  • Options
    The decision was made for us by our state as our state won't recognize our marriage.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    The decision was made for us by our state as our state won't recognize our marriage.
    THIS is what a Commitment Ceremony should be for. This and maybe converting to a different religion, like a Convalidation Ceremony or something similar.

Although I do think only those who are not allowed a recognizable marriage should be the only ones allowed a big fluffy white dress.

I'm worried about this thread ending up full of people with a 'Commitment Ceremony' because so and so was deployed and we had a CH wedding, which is actually a PPD, instead of an actual Commitment Ceremony. 
    I'm ok with them for people who can get legally married but want to make a political statement about how not everyone gets the same privileges. Of course then, you don't get to partake in any of said privileges either. And I don't see a whole hell of a lot of people actually doing that.
  • Options
    Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    Why the hell, if you can be LEGALLY married, would you want to pretend to get married but not have any benefits?

It's like promise rings in high school.

On a side note, this thread should ONLY refer to the LG community in which they cannot be legally married in their state.

Good lord, KP. Why why why?

Edited because this is so thought provoking: people are going to begin doing these completely fake ceremonies before deployment? Idk. They wouldnt get the benefits offered then. I don't see the point of a commitment ceremony.

I love you, but not enough for the government to confirm it. I don't want to be legally stuck to you forever, just in case.

image   image   image

• Options
    emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I knew a hetero couple who had a commitment ceremony because he couldn't get his divorce finalized. It has been very nasty, over YEARS (children were involved), and they were tired of putting of putting their lives on hold for his ex-ish wife. Not a decision I'd make, but I've never been in a position like that.
  • Options
    Why the hell, if you can be LEGALLY married, would you want to pretend to get married but not have any benefits? It's like promise rings in high school. On a side note, this thread should ONLY refer to the LG community in which they cannot be legally married in their state. Good lord, KP. Why why why? Edited because this is so thought provoking: people are going to begin doing these completely fake ceremonies before deployment? Idk. They wouldnt get the benefits offered then. I don't see the point of a commitment ceremony. I love you, but not enough for the government to confirm it. I don't want to be legally stuck to you forever, just in case.
    I also want to point out, the LGBT community isn't exactly excited to have commitment ceremonies. We aren't like "Wa-hoo! We get no legal benefits because of the gender of the person we're marrying! Yippie!", so it's not really a bunch of lovey wonderful this was a great decision we made stories like I think KP is looking for.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

Why the hell, if you can be LEGALLY married, would you want to pretend to get married but not have any benefits?

On a side note, this thread should ONLY refer to the LG community in which they cannot be legally married in their state.

Edited because this is so thought provoking: people are going to begin doing these completely fake ceremonies before deployment? Idk. They wouldnt get the benefits offered then. I don't see the point of a commitment ceremony.

I love you, but not enough for the government to confirm it. I don't want to be legally stuck to you forever, just in case.

I also want to point out, the LGBT community isn't exactly excited to have commitment ceremonies. We aren't like "Wa-hoo! We get no legal benefits because of the gender of the person we're marrying! Yippie!", so it's not really a bunch of lovey wonderful this was a great decision we made stories like I think KP is looking for.

I totally understand. I hope I didn't offend you! No one should be excited to have a commitment ceremony - they should be having a marriage ceremony instead.

image   image   image

• Options
    At least my state now recognises same-sex marriage!! One small step.

And this thread is asking for a shitstorm of trouble.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    clg1213clg1213 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    to clarify, the love is for the mov't towards equality.....though i'm afraid there will be a lot of mess
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

I was very excited to have my commitment ceremony when we did it. But u would have liked it to have been legal.
  • Options
    Why the hell, if you can be LEGALLY married, would you want to pretend to get married but not have any benefits? It's like promise rings in high school. On a side note, this thread should ONLY refer to the LG community in which they cannot be legally married in their state. Good lord, KP. Why why why? Edited because this is so thought provoking: people are going to begin doing these completely fake ceremonies before deployment? Idk. They wouldnt get the benefits offered then. I don't see the point of a commitment ceremony. I love you, but not enough for the government to confirm it. I don't want to be legally stuck to you forever, just in case.
    I totally understand. I hope I didn't offend you! No one should be excited to have a commitment ceremony - they should be having a marriage ceremony instead.
    Oh no not at all offended! I was just quoting you to add on to what you were saying. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards