Wedding Invitations & Paper

Thank you notes for wedding gifts prior to wedding

I have searched for this topic on the board and from what I understand I should send out thank you notes as soon as I receive wedding gifts (my wedding is June 7th). Do I just say something along the lines of "We are so sorry you are unable to attend our wedding, you will be missed. Thank you for the generous gift, we intend on saving it for the future." We aren't planning on purchasing a house any time soon in the future, but would it be better to say that?  I'm not really sure what else to add. 

Thanks! 

Re: Thank you notes for wedding gifts prior to wedding

• Wait...how do you know the senders are unable to attend? Did they state so? 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • If you know they're not coming, say:

Dear Auntie Beth and Uncle Barry --

It was so kind of you to think of us at our wedding! We're so sorry you wont be able to come to the wedding. The (insert gift here) is lovely. We look forward to doing (whatever one does with it) with it. We hope to catch up with you soon!

Love,
    Bride and Groom

Otherwise, insert a line about how you hope to see them at the wedding.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • HTR10HTR10 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    I know they are unable to attend because they already sent in their RSVP cards saying so, and then they sent a separate card (or gift) and once again said they were sorry they couldn't come and the cards had checks (or cash, shockingly) in them. 
  • HTR10HTR10 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Thank you! I appreciate your help!
  • HTR10 said:
    I have searched for this topic on the board and from what I understand I should send out thank you notes as soon as I receive wedding gifts (my wedding is June 7th). Do I just say something along the lines of "We are so sorry you are unable to attend our wedding, you will be missed. Thank you for the generous gift, we intend on saving it for the future." We aren't planning on purchasing a house any time soon in the future, but would it be better to say that?  I'm not really sure what else to add. 

Thanks! 
    I don't think I'd say you intend on saving the gift for the future.  Generally, people expect you to use gifts now.  Or if you plan to save it for purchasing a home or something like that someday, go ahead and say that. But, if I got a thank you card saying you plan to "save it for future use", I'd be kind of upset that I gave something that isn't actually needed or intended for some use, because that's what that wording says to me.  Even if you say something along the lines of "we intend to utilize your gift to help better our future together" would leave the use open, but sounds more appreciative and sound like it will benefit you more than just "save it for the future".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards