Chit Chat

How do you dress for work?

Re: How do you dress for work?

• jenna8984 said:
    @lyndausvi I think you're nuts. I'd love to work from home in my pjs hahaha. I get to take my laptop home only on snow days and you best believe on those days I'm all cuddly with my robe and slippers and blankets! 

But business casual at the office. Sometimes I'm really fancy like a pencil skirt, button down top, sky high heels and other days I just do skinny corduroys, fitted tee, and flat ankle boots lol 
    It's easy become lazy.  I feel better if I'm dressed in some way.  I also take the dogs out 1-2 times during the day.  I don't want to be known as the crazy lady who is always walking around in her pjs .

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm something of a stay-at-home mom at the moment, so there are days that I stay in pj's. That's usually only when I don't leave the house, so maybe once a week if the weather sucks. The other days we mainly only go out to take a walk, hit up the bank/grocery store/pick up something from around the neighborhood, and for this I will throw on some yoga pants and a comfortable tanktop with my flip flops and keep my hair in a messy bun. If I'm going to see friends or out for a meal I usually go a bit less casual with a dressy long top and sleek black leggings, hair down and a bit of makeup. Almost always wear earrings when I go out until LO starts tugging at them and then it's time to put them away.
  • My office is casual so I usually wear jeans and a nice top. It used to be business casual when I started working there, and I had just invested in a professional wardrobe when they announced that that the office was going casual. Everyone else was thrilled, but I was secretly annoyed that I had to go out and buy jeans and stuff.

Now I love it and I don't like the idea of going back to business dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Shorts, tank top, flip flops on the days I visit my software office.
  • Scrubs! They're the best. I don't even have to wash them, the hospital does that :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Grabows14Grabows14 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    "Dress for the job you want, not the one you have" is my motto. So I don't ever wear dresses, shorts or skirts (can't really because I work at a power plant and we're expected to do walkdowns so that's a safety issue), so I wear dress slacks and a nice top (not revealing, just more stylish). 

The rest of my coworkers wear jeans everyday and some of the girls wear skinny jeans and a couple of times tights and a dress. I really don't get that since it's 90% men, and even on days when I am wearing something that might be a little bit more figure hugging; I ALWAYS get creepy comments. 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I own an auto business with H, so I love the fact that I wear jeans and a uniform shirt everyday. Makes getting ready so easy. We debated when we first opened if I would be more "business casual" but was happy we decided against that.

Anniversary
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I work at a group home for mentally disabled clients, and since my particular home has males that can get sexually inappropriate, I pretty much try to look ugly. We aren't supposed to wear anything tight or revealing. I usually go for some unflattering jeans and ugly t-shirt. No makeup (not a rule, but also no point to either). In the past we couldn't wear hoodies because it was too easy for a violent client to use to try to strangle you, but we don't have any violent ones anymore. 

I wish we could just wear scrubs. But we are supposed to make it feel like home as much as possible as opposed to being a clinical setting, so we aren't supposed to. Sometimes I still wear my scrub pants with a normal top though. It's comfier and uglier and I don't mind so much if I get some sort of bodily fluid on them. 
  • My office is business casual Monday through Thursday, so I usually wear dark slacks/skirts with a sweater or nice blouse. Once in a blue we have to wear suits, but it's not often so it's not a big deal. On Friday, we're allowed to wear jeans, so I usually put on a pair of dark skinnies and a cute top. I wear minimal makeup, which is such a welcome change from years of being expected to spackle my face.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I have 2 jobs. Job one is chef pants and a black t-shirt. Job two is jeans and a corporate shirt. I can't realy say I like one over the other. They are just different.
  • Scrubs.  The most useless pieces of clothing ever.  I really miss wearing real clothes.
  • I work for a window install company and we have to wear business casual. My usual outfit is dressy pants, nice t-shirt and sandals, in summer or ballet flats in winter. I usually have a cardigan at my desk. I have a few logo t-shirts that I wear. Occasionally we can wear jeans and to wear a dressy top or a company logo shirt. I've worn a skirt in the past but only when it is nice out. All office staff follows the same dress code but any warehouse worker can wear jeans and tees, but they usually are staining or painting windows. We never know when a customer could walk in and even though I very rarely go in the showroom, we still need to be professional looking.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Formerly, department issued polos and khaki's.  Currently, jeans and a nice top - pretty laid back.

Being a civilian employee that doesn't work directly with the public has it's benefits!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Scrubs! Usually with my hair pulled up and just a little make-up. They're comfy so I don't mind it. Plus then on my days off when I actually put normal clothes on and do my hair FI always tells me how great I look! The hospital always tries to give us jean days as a reward for things, but that never goes over well. The job is too physical and who wants other peoples body fluids on their nice jeans! Gross.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• lyndausvi said:

jenna8984 said:

@lyndausvi I think you're nuts. I'd love to work from home in my pjs hahaha. I get to take my laptop home only on snow days and you best believe on those days I'm all cuddly with my robe and slippers and blankets! 

But business casual at the office. Sometimes I'm really fancy like a pencil skirt, button down top, sky high heels and other days I just do skinny corduroys, fitted tee, and flat ankle boots lol 

It's easy become lazy.  I feel better if I'm dressed in some way.  I also take the dogs out 1-2 times during the day.  I don't want to be known as the crazy lady who is always walking around in her pjs .

I've spent more of my career working from home than in offices (I love start-ups!). I usually keep a work wardrobe of yoga pants, comfy shorts, t's and tanks. I get very lazy. FI's at home now and only gets out of his pjs because he drives me to the train.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm a hardware store manager. Shoes are my composite toed Docs. I might have four pairs. They're super comfy and I've had loaded pallets dropped on my feet before. Then jeans. We can wear khakis, but I'm always in the lumber cut station or the metal station or paint or outside storage.... jeans get perma filth easily enough, khakis get nasty looking way too fast. No holes, hems are supposed to be intact but no one follows that too much. Shirt must have sleeves and no slurs, cuss words, gang signs, etc. Mostly plain t shirts, or henleys. Flannel or hoody in cool weather. Some days, I'll break out the store polo but rarely since I routinely kill clothing. Must wear a belt as we carry radios and tape measures at minimum on our jeans and those pull pants down. Usually have my gloves in a pocket, keys on my belt, safety glasses shoved up on my head and ear plugs in my pocket with the cord out. Hair is always tied back and I will enforce that. Any safety issue and I'm busting butts.

For the conferences, nicer slacks, my store polo or button down shirt, my same boots. Walking around too much to wear dressy clothes.

I teach a martial arts class and fill in as needed, so usually shorts and a rash guard top or my gi. Depends on what class.

Play cello at times. Usually for weddings. Usually wear dark gray slacks, neutral top and dress boots.
  • I work in a pretty casual office. Jeans every day, a nice top and flats. Everyone wears very similar outfits. We do have one girl that dresses up nice every day. It's a little weird, considering our office is connected to a food manufacturing plant and we sometimes have to run back there and get dirty. 

I love being able to dress casual for work. I definitely don't miss the days of suits and heels. 
  • My office sounds very similar to yours. Usually I wear dark jeans and a nice top or cardigan. In the winter, I wore wedge boots and now I usually wear ballet flats. I'm not comfortable wearing flip flops to the office, but some people do it. On rare occasions, I'll wear a hoodie with jeans (usually if I'm sick or super tired). In the winter/fall, I wore a lot of sweater dresses and tights.

At first, I wished that I worked in an office that was more formal, but now I can't imagine having to dress up every day. I like the option to wear what I want.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I usually dress in business casual clothing. 

We're allowed to wear jeans and the rules on t-shirts and sweatshirts are kind of lacking, but I usually only wear jeans on Fridays. I always try to look professional, so that usually means dresses or dress pants and nice blouses. 
  • My office is business casual, and I try to dress on the nicer end. My own office is behind the reception desk and I sometimes have to interact with clients; I figure dressing nicely and looking pulled together can only help our image, and I'd rather look good! Most of our staff is pretty young so no one dresses really formal or stuffy, but some people take the "casual" part a bit too far. 

In the winter I wear skinny slacks or a skirt and boots with a sweater or nice top, or a sweater dress and leggings. In the summer I generally live in skirts and nice tops or dresses, often with a cardigan or a blazer since the AC gets turned up too high. I tend to alternate between heels and flats, depending on the weather and my outfit. Fridays are casual so everyone wears jeans; I try to keep them looking nice with a cute top and flats or sandals in the summer. I always wear a bit of make up to even out my skin tone and make me look more awake, but I've been super lazy with my hair lately!

I like that I didn't have to buy a whole bunch of suits when I started working here, but I do wish that some of our staff would put in a bit more effort. There are a few people who looks really sloppy sometimes and it bugs me lol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Most days, business casual -- nice slacks, heels, skirts, blouses, etc.

On important days (political lobbying days, fundraising days, board meeting days, etc.), I wear a suit (skirt or pants, depending on weather/time of year). 

Tomorrow we're having a casual Friday -- YAY!!! -- which rarely happens, and we get to wear jeans, and you can bet I'll be taking advantage of that. Nice jeans, but still jeans.

I like dressing up. I look much, much younger than I am (routinely get carded, and I'm in my 30s), so wearing dressy clothes helps people in the field I work in take me more seriously than otherwise they might.

(SITB)
    @hisgirlfriday13 What do you lobby for? I know we have talked about this before, I just cant remember.

I work in the same industry and my dress code is the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @KatWAG -- real estate
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I work in the back-end of a lobbying group, working in their publishing office.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• FI and I were getting ready for work together this morning and she noted that in no other industry would my outfit be work appropriate. I'm wearing a white tank top that says "Got Cock?" and has a picture of a rooster on in it. Yeah, I'm guessing anywhere else I'd get sent to HR. Then I get to work and the other girl here has on a t-shirt that says "Ask me about my cult!", I did a double take when I saw her because I thought there was an N and not an L. 

FI got to dress casual today, so she wore skinny black jeans and pink top she with pink wedges. That's her casual and my dressy. 
  • I work in a library - so it's pretty much whatever I want.  And since I'm the kooky children's librarian I can get away with anything. If I'm not doing storytime, I wear dresses or skirts, if I'm doing storytime leggings, slacks, dark wash jeans.

Today is a sundress with a stonewashed denim vest and hot pink flats.  Earlier this week was my awesome new turquoise dress that was vintage inspired with a bow across the bodice and eleganksi cats on the hem.

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • I wear a dress 97% of the time. Sometimes it is a dressier dress, sometimes it's a casual dress. I wear shoes approbate withe weather. Tights in the winter, bare legs in the summer. Always wear a slip.

Any dress seems dressier than slacks and shirt in my office. If I have an event I wear a nicer dress and sometimes a jacket, depending on the dress.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Well my job consists of me sitting in my cube on teleconferences taking notes all day.  So I tend to wear jeans and a nice top and either flats or heels most days.  On the rare occasion that I have to attend a meeting in person and depending on the kind of meeting it is I would wear anything from my dressy pair of jeans and a nice top and heels, to a nice pair of slacks and a blouse, to a dress. Some days I think I should dress a little fancier but since I only leave my cube to pee and get more water I rarely see anyone and when people walk by my desk they only see my back.

I really wish that I could just telecommute because I could 100% do my job from my home since 95% of my meetings are over the phone and everything today is done through email.  I am also more productive at work because I tend to be more comfortable in my sweats and lounging on my couch with the tv going in the background.  But that isn't super super surprising since that was how I was most productive during my school years.

• Business dress code so usually a dress with a blazer or slacks blouse and blazer- but usually more casual blazers like knit, ponte, 3/4 sleeves etc. Court days or particularly big meeting days I will wear an actual suit

• This is so much fun! I love hearing about clothes- but I'm enjoying the insights about people's lives even more. This is great! Thanks everyone for sharing!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards