Wedding Invitations & Paper

A bunch of invite questions.

Ok, so I think what I'm going to do is have the front of in invite be "regular" (picture below of the design that I'm liking right now!).

1. I'd love input on my wording and format (is it ready to read? I'm worried that the script is too hard to read!).

2. We have reservations at a local hotel for our guests (since it's just 6 members of our immediate family). I was thinking of printing that information (address, check in time?) on the back of the invite. Should I just say "Hotel Information" and then state the address?. Or should I do a separate insert? I don't think we'll need a map, since with the address it's very easy to find.

3. RSVP information…I don't feel like we need them to send anything back (they won't have any meal options to pick). Should I just say "RSVP to Jennifer Last (123) 123-5555 by September 26, 2014" or something?

Ummm…not sure if there's anything else I'm forgetting?

Re: A bunch of invite questions.

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I'd use a different script for your names and I'd also use a different color scheme at the bottom.  It was hard for me to read.

Don't print anything on the back of your invitation.  I expect invitations to be one-sided, and if you need to add anything other than on the face of the invitation, put it on an insert.  That way guests don't have to carry the main invitation with them when they attend-just a small insert will do.

I think you should still give RSVP information, because don't you want to know who is and isn't coming?  Are you providing one fixed meal for everyone?  Also, provide more than one way for people to RSVP.  A phone number is good, but some people may want to email you or send you back mail.
  • Jen4948 said:
    I think you should still give RSVP information, because don't you want to know who is and isn't coming?  Are you providing one fixed meal for everyone?  Also, provide more than one way for people to RSVP.  A phone number is good, but some people may want to email you or send you back mail.
    1. We are only inviting 6 people: our parents and my FSIL (+her husband).
    2. Yea, it's a fixed meal. The restaurant that we're going to serves food family style, so they're just going to serve us and we'll eat, no ordering required (our families don't have any dietary restrictions).
  • I'm sorry but your wording is incorrect.  The bride and groom NEVER directly invite people to their wedding.  Here is correct wording ;

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Jennifer Brianne Last
    and
    Armen John Last
    Sunday, the fifth of October
    two thousand fourteen
    at three o'clock
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

Reception to follow

No period after "Street".  I would keep it at no more than two fonts, and keep the font size the same within the font style.  Also, keep the color the same throughout, except for the Bride's name and Groom's name.

Use a separate insert card.  A Vistaprint business card is inexpensive, and will serve the purpose of giving any other information without cluttering up your invitation.

"RSVP. Bride, telephone number, email.
    For more informations, directions, accommodations,
    please visit our wedding website, http://www.theknot,etc."
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    I'm sorry but your wording is incorrect.  The bride and groom NEVER directly invite people to their wedding.  Here is correct wording ;

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Jennifer Brianne Last
    and
    Armen John Last
    Sunday, the fifth of October
    two thousand fourteen
    at three o'clock
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

Reception to follow

No period after "Street".  I would keep it at no more than two fonts, and keep the font size the same within the font style.  Also, keep the color the same throughout, except for the Bride's name and Groom's name.

Use a separate insert card.  A Vistaprint business card is inexpensive, and will serve the purpose of giving any other information without cluttering up your invitation.

"RSVP. Bride, telephone number, email.
    For more informations, directions, accommodations,
    please visit our wedding website, http://www.theknot,etc."
    1. I just find this confusing: I've perused a lot of other invite threads (paying special attention to your advice), and everything that I wrote was exactly the same except for "together with their families"? So how do you decide when it's ok for B&G to be part of the inviters and when it's not?

2. We weren't going to do a wedding website. Seems like an extra step when it's not really needed. We aren't doing a registry, and I wasn't planning on giving directions, and I have no other information to add. :/ So if I just do an insert with RSVP information and accommodation information is that alright?
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    "Together with their families" means that the bride and groom are not inviting the guests by themselves.  It also isn't traditional wording, but it is often used.  Since you and your FI are hosting your own wedding by yourselves, you should use the indirect wording.
    You can put RSVP. telephone number at the bottom of your invitation in smaller letters on the left hand side, but not hotel information.  You can use an insert for hotel and rsvp information if you would rather do that. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • That is the phrasing you would use if you had "together with their families". Otherwise it should be "The pleasure of your company is requested at the marriage of......". You can write it that way if you like but it's not the proper wording.
  • Would it be ok to put RSVP on the insert at all (I feel like the invite has a lot going on already, and just am not partial to how it would look as a keepsake with my contact information on it).

Or would that be super awkward? I'm not against doing an RSVP response card, it just seems superfluous for the amount of guests that we are having.
  • So I tweaked it a little bit based on your input(s) (thanks all!). Is this better or worse?
    I also changed the font of our names to make it a little easier to read.

• Much better!  I would say "marriage" instead of "wedding".  Just more traditional.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • It should say "marriage" not "wedding". Are you intentionally avoiding traditional wording?
  • It should say "marriage" not "wedding". Are you intentionally avoiding traditional wording?
    I just like how the word "wedding" has the double "d"s, I think it's more visually appealing to my eye. But I'm not really stuck on anything specific or intentionally trying to avoid a specific word. I just feel like "marriage" sounds (to me) like I'm inviting them to participate in my marriage as a whole (like…ongoing for the rest of my life), and that just feels awkward (I know that's not what the invite is actually saying, and that no one but me reads it like that…).

I just like how the word "wedding" has the double "d"s, I think it's more visually appealing to my eye. But I'm not really stuck on anything specific or intentionally trying to avoid a specific word. I just feel like "marriage" sounds (to me) like I'm inviting them to participate in my marriage as a whole (like…ongoing for the rest of my life), and that just feels awkward (I know that's not what the invite is actually saying, and that no one but me reads it like that…).

I read it that way too. Our marriage will exist every day, what they're invited to is the wedding. But I don't particularly care for any of the traditional wording.

• Yay I'm not a total freak! Thanks @lolo883!
  • Either way is acceptable - just not traditional.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Great, thanks for the info @CMGragain. I wouldn't be against using "marriage" if it was bad to use "wedding", but knowing that I can use either I'd like to stick with "wedding". :) I'm quite alright being less-traditional! :D
  • A wedding invitation needs to clearly say who, what, when and where without being AWish.  Your current wording does the job.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I go against the grain when it comes to the  RSVPs.  You said you are only inviting 6 people.  I do not feel like you need a RSVP for 6 people.  They can figure out how to RSVP on their own.   Back in the day people didn't even send out separate RSVPs.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Your invitations are lovely! Other PPs have the wording covered and I agree with @lyndausvi, RSVP info isn't necessary based on your guest list. Your parents and FSIL can easily call, email, text that they're coming without being prompted. And it's one less thing for you to do/keep track of.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards