Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Beer/Alcohol/Keg...How much is enough

Since our families are asking we're trying to provide some preliminary numbers for them.  We are doing an outside wedding at 5PM next June.  We currently have about 90 people on the guest list.  Including children.  Since we are having this on my fiance's parents property we will be supplying our own alcohol.  At least half of those people would be traveling to our wedding.  It is in Delaware, about half of those are coming from Baltimore (1 1/2 hour drive) and the other half from PA (45 min - 1 hour drive).  I highly doubt anyone that is traveling will stay the night locally.  We are doing an open bar.  I was considering 1 keg or a regular beer and 1 keg of a light beer.  I will have bartenders serving the drinks from a bar.  Is that enough?  Do I need more?  I know a lot of my female guests aren't beer drinkers.  Some of our guests aren't drinkers at all.  I don't want to be cheap, but at the same time I don't want to waste a bunch of stuff either.

I will also be having other beverages and alcohol.  Coke, Diet Coke, Ginger Ale, Sprite, Vodka, Rum, Gin, Sangria, White Wine and Red Wine.  Mixers:  Tonic, Club Soda, OJ, Cranberry and Pineapple juice.  Plus water.

Re: Beer/Alcohol/Keg...How much is enough

• Options
    emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Our wedding was a lot like yours and we used this to calculate alcohol: http://apracticalwedding.com/2013/01/calculate-alcohol-for-wedding/

We ended up having some leftovers, but we bought stuff we like so it wasn't an issue.

By "next June," do you mean June 2015? Because if so, you can definitely wait a while to start worrying about this.
  • Options
    Yes I do mean June 2015.  But unlike most other people I can't wait.  I have a daughter that I support by myself and retired parents.  FI's parents are also semi retired.  So everyone is trying to figure out budgeting now to see where we stand with things.  Thank you for the link!  :)
  • Options
    vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    2 kegs of beer is a lot for 90 people.  We have an annual party that has 200-250 people.  We get one keg and we still have left over.  I would have only one keg or get 1/2 kegs.

As far as your timing, a year out is a long time out.  The reason it is prudent to wait a bit to do things like this is because pricing will change between now and then.  Trying to get pricing now may not matter in a year.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    Yes I do mean June 2015.  But unlike most other people I can't wait.  I have a daughter that I support by myself and retired parents.  FI's parents are also semi retired.  So everyone is trying to figure out budgeting now to see where we stand with things.  Thank you for the link!  :)
    You still need to wait.  If you buy beer now, it will be skunk by June, 2015.  

Use the drink calculator on evite.  Don't try to factor in driving and non-beer drinkers.  For every DD, there will be a person who drinks more than average.  Just count the number of adults and run the calculator.  
  • Options

It's better to have too much than not enough.

Agreed that you should wait. You don't know what a year will bring. Prices could change a lot.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lol I was just asking for round about numbers?  I'm not running out today to buy for next year.  But we are in the process of buying a house, have a child and budget is a big priority.  I was simply asking what other people with a similar amount have guests have done.  Thanks!  :)
  • Options
    We had over 200 guests and went through about 10 gallons of beer. We also offered sangria so the wine drinkers had an option. It was a recipe I got online using white zinfindel, pineapple juice, ginger ale, lemonade concentrate frozen strawberries.
  • Options
    So they say a keg is 15.5 gallons...so less than a keg for 200 guests. I'd say that's pretty good!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards