Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Children Under 16 with Older Siblings

Hello Everyone,

We have decided that we are not having children under 16 at our wedding. My issue lies in the fact that we have couple families on the list that have both children over 16 and under 16. For example my relatives have children that are 21 & 18 (both still live at home), this same family also has a 13 year old and a 3 year old! I feel like it would be very awkward to invite the 21 & 18 year old but not the 13 & 3 year old. How do we go about this?

Re: Children Under 16 with Older Siblings

• Options
    Just don't invite the younger kids, but be prepared that people often decline if their kids are not invited.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    At least the 18- and 21-year-olds are both adults, so you can mail them their own invites and get around the issue that way.

Where you're going to run into trouble is where the kids are close in age -- if you have a 17-year-old and a 15-year-old, for example.

Addie is right; people might decline if their kids aren't invited, and they're more likely to decline if their families are split up.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    We fully understand people might decline because we aren't inviting their children.
  • Options
    The 18 year old and the 21 year old should get their own invitations, so it shouldn't be awkward.  With 16 as the cut off, most people are going to assume that no children will be invited.

People may be confused when you have older teens that are invited but younger ones that aren't.  Splitting up families can be difficult.  
  • Options
    Can you make the cut-off 18? I think that's a much more understandable cut-off... everyone 18+ should get their own invitation, regardless of whether they live at home or not. That way the parents will only get an invitation to them, and the other adults will get one just to them and their SO, if they have one. It would be super awkward to send an invite to Mom, Dad and 17yo, but leave out the 15yo.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards