Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

XP: Receiving Line vs. Table Visits?

Any guesses as to how long a receiving line might take, if we did it at the back of the church as guests exit, with approx. 175 guests? We think we'd rather do that than table visits, but we have a relatively limited window for taking family pictures in the church due to confession starting soon after. 

Another question - if we don't do the receiving line but still plan to do a "send-off" where everyone's gathered outside the church for our exit, where do we go in the mean time, after we go down the aisle after the ceremony, while our guests file out? It seems like if we just stand at the back of the church and say hi to everyone as they leave, it's basically a receiving line and could take more time than we have - so do we just sort of hide out until they're all outside and then make our exit? Seems weird. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: XP: Receiving Line vs. Table Visits?

• I've never seen a grand exit at a church except in Hollywood.  For the exact reason you mentioned.  The couple is the first to leave, it's silly to "hide out" until the church is emptied.   To have a "grand exit"   Grand exit at the church when you are going to see them at the reception is weird to me also.

All the church weddings I've attend most included the couple doing a receiving line as the guests exit the church.  Other times the couple and WP went to a small room, the basement, whatever until most or all of the guests had left then they came back into the church for formal pictures.  The guests just continued on to the reception.

We did a combo of receiving line and table visits.   Our plans were changed because of a storm.  Our receiving line ended up being the line to the bar also  Since I would say we had 99% drinkers at our wedding it seemed to workout for us.    After dinner and throughout the night we also did some table visits. Although at that point it was more of a divide and conquer things.  At some point throughout the evening we hit all the guests.

We also had a welcome dinner for all the guests the night before where we got to spend time with our guests also.  I have to say that took a lot of pressure off of hitting everyone at the wedding.   We still got to everyone, but it, IDK,  was less formal.  We just let seeing everyone follow naturally and not the formal table by table visit.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    lyndausvi said:
    I've never seen a grand exit at a church except in Hollywood.  For the exact reason you mentioned.  The couple is the first to leave, it's silly to "hide out" until the church is emptied.   To have a "grand exit"   Grand exit at the church when you are going to see them at the reception is weird to me also.

All the church weddings I've attend most included the couple doing a receiving line as the guests exit the church.  Other times the couple and WP went to a small room, the basement, whatever until most or all of the guests had left then they came back into the church for formal pictures.  The guests just continued on to the reception.

We did a combo of receiving line and table visits.   Our plans were changed because of a storm.  Our receiving line ended up being the line to the bar also  Since I would say we had 99% drinkers at our wedding it seemed to workout for us.    After dinner and throughout the night we also did some table visits. Although at that point it was more of a divide and conquer things.  At some point throughout the evening we hit all the guests.

We also had a welcome dinner for all the guests the night before where we got to spend time with our guests also.  I have to say that took a lot of pressure off of hitting everyone at the wedding.   We still got to everyone, but it, IDK,  was less formal.  We just let seeing everyone follow naturally and not the formal table by table visit.   

Stuck in the box:

I have seen it done.  The bride and groom did a receiving line at the back of the church as guests exited.  The word and bubbles were passed letting people know there would be a "send off".  Once the guests made it through the receiving line they lined up along the walk way and the bride and groom came out.  Then they ducked back into the church for pictures while the rest of us headed to cocktail hour.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the responses! I'm gathering too from the other board I posted this on, it may be a regional thing - or just more common with church ceremonies. Most of the weddings I've ever gone to, had a send-off from the church (similar to the one @mysticl described above) and I've never seen one from the reception. I think we've decided on table visits at the reception (in part to make sure we talk with anyone who may not have been at the ceremony), and to just duck into the bridal room at the back of the church until the guests have filed outside, then we will exit for the send-off. Thanks ladies!
    becky22002
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards