Wedding Reception Forum

Wedding - Kosher Options

Hi,

So I saw a venue I loved ( Fox Hollow Inn at Jericho Turnpike, NY), but they don't serve Kosher meals and don't coordinate Kosher meals for you. They do allow you to bring in outside meals for the cocktail hour and reception, but i'm worried about how that would work since they would not be able to heat the food up in their kitchen. Also, I could not find any Kosher caterers in the area who would provide meals for just 5-7 people, Also, there would have to be an attendant at the cocktail hour to supervise the Kosher station.

Has anyone dealt with this before? How does it work? Any recommendations on Kosher restaurants / caterers in the area that would accommodate so few guests?

Please Help!

Re: Wedding - Kosher Options

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    This is an international board, so most posters here can't give you recommendations on restaurants or caterers in the area.  I'd post on the Long Island and NYC boards because you're more likely to get recommendations for local sources there.

But it does sound like you need to find another venue that can accommodate your needs, since this one doesn't do kosher.
  • I would find a new venue. It would be so easy for the Kosher food to become contaminated, leaving your Kosher guests with nothing to eat. There should be lots of options in NY that will be more Kosher-friendly. 

• I think it depends on the strictness of these kosher followers. I have friends who keep kosher/ halal but at weddings or restaurants they just eat the vegetarian meal. However, there are plenty of people that NEED to have their meals prepared in an appropriate kitchen and wouldn't eat a meal if it wasn't prepared correctly or risked contamination. Also, I believe that the plates need to be kosher as well so you risk issues there.

I would also look at other venues, as I would think it wouldn't be too hard to find a kosher venue/ restaurant in the NYC area.
  • Ditto on checking with the local boards on caterers.

I've worked many events that need Kosher meals in places that were not Kosher.    the Kosher caterer or restaurants do this type of thing often.  They often work with non-Kosher venues for small amounts of Kosher dishes.    They will provide you with meals in aluminum to-go containers with heating instructions.   Depends on how strict your guest might be, but often it's okay for the chefs to be able to pop the original container into their own non-kosher ovens.

Keeping the food in the same container the server takes it to the guest.  (that is very important.  You can not re-plate the meal because the plate more than likely was used for both meat and dairy meals).      I would say 90% of the time the meal comes with special silverware.  Again you can't use a fork that was used for both dairy and meat meals.    If it does not come utensils then we would give the guests a plastic to-go packet   Or we would present the guest with a brand new box of silverware.  The guests would pull out the fork and unwrap the plastic.  But as I said, majority of the time the Kosher caterer will give you the utensils so there is no question that it is safe to use.

Vegan apps are great options for Kosher guests as veggies (and scale and fin fish) are able to be eaten regardless if your main meal is meat or dairy.

It's not as scary as it seems.  Your own Kosher guests should be able to answer questions for you.  They could be a good source on finding a restaurant or caterer also.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thanks for the responses everyone. Does anyone have any experience with the pre-packaged frozen Kosher meals some venues offer. All the Banquet Managers I've spoken with refer to them as "TV Dinners" or "Airline Food." Considering how much money we are spending on the food ... that does not sound very appetizing or up to the standard of food to be served at a wedding. How bad is it?
  • If your guests are strict kosher, those meals could not be put in a non-kosher microwave or oven. I think your best bet is to find a kosher restaurant that is willing to deliver specific meals. Could you call some local temples  and see if they have any recommendations? Are these your fi's family/friends? Could he call them and see if they have any favourite local kosher restaurants where they like to eat?
  • Update: We are looking at another venue that does not allow us to bring in outside food but has the sealed Frozen kosher meals that our family is OK with if heated up in the non-kosher oven. However, Im really concerned about the quality of these meals.
  • pperper86 said:
    Update: We are looking at another venue that does not allow us to bring in outside food but has the sealed Frozen kosher meals that our family is OK with if heated up in the non-kosher oven. However, Im really concerned about the quality of these meals.
    Will they allow you to just go in and taste one? You may have to pay for it but it seems worth it to me.

• Thanks Lolo883..that's a good idea
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards