Wedding Reception Forum

What songs does NO ONE want to hear at their wedding?

13»

Re: What songs does NO ONE want to hear at their wedding?

• The cheesy dance songs are definitely out: chicken dance, macarena, etc. My fiance banned them first thing.

Also, anything by the village people. I know that's random, but my dad is Native American AND was in the navy, and growing up in the 70s he got a lot of crap for that. Anything village people makes him absolutely livid!
  • spara0038 said:

The cheesy dance songs are definitely out: chicken dance, macarena, etc. My fiance banned them first thing.

Also, anything by the village people. I know that's random, but my dad is Native American AND was in the navy, and growing up in the 70s he got a lot of crap for that. Anything village people makes him absolutely livid!

Omg my friend's stepfather too! He's a retired airline captain who was also in the Navy Reserves and attended the US Naval Academy!! It's not only "In the Navy", but EVERY song by the Village People that hits a nerve with him! And her dad is a retired cop who used to work out and train for gymnastics at the Y so he certainly doesn't appreciate "YMCA"!! So you'd better believe no Village People were played at her wedding!
  • EricaCat1EricaCat1 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2014
    "Everybody Hurts"

"Supermodel"

Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy"
  • "Baby Got Back" is definitely not wedding friendly. 
  • cotton eyed joe. 

For the love of sweet holy matrimony. I cannot with that song. 
    *********************************************************************************

• The only song my husband insisted was on our "do not play" list was "Call me maybe".  He made such a fuss about it that it's now his ringtone for when he calls me.  (He does find the irony entertaining, though). 

The Cupid Shuffle annoys me, though.  When it played at our wedding, I just left the floor to get a glass of water.  I caught 2 of my dad's friends doing a hilarious version of the dance and my dad caught it on film.  It is now one of my favorite memories of our wedding.
  • "Pull Up to the Bumper Baby"
  • Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show (covered by Darius Rucker). It is this areas Free Bird... But worse. so much worse. ughhhhh
  • Macarena !
  • cotton eyed joe. 

For the love of sweet holy matrimony. I cannot with that song. 
    Depends on who's playing it.

For me:

Macarena
    YMCA
    Hoky Poky
    Limbo
    Bunny Hop
    Electric Slide
    Chicken Dance

Any song with the "n word," "bitch," or "ho" in the lyrics.

I cannot stand any of those songs.  

I normally like "Every Breath You Take" but not at a wedding.
  • YMCA, the electric slide, Celebrate, We Are Family, the Cha Cha slide, Gangnam Style, anything by Miley Cyrus, anything by Chris Brown... I have a three-page list to give my DJ. I'm just not into tacky, cliched "wedding music." However, I told him if a guest specifically requests one of my "do not play" songs, go for it.
  • Personally I do not care, I would just leave it up to the DJ.  Although, after reading all these I'm starting to realize how many songs really annoy me. The fiance though, he was super excited to find out we get to make a do not play list.  He does not want any group participation songs, any Adele, any Taylor swift, there's actually a whole long list I can't remember.  He did say there should be some Lady Gaga though. 
  • At my nephew's wedding I had a heck of a good time shakin' it to Baby Got Back. Nothing is sadder than an empty dance floor at a wedding.

It is all just music. A lot of people (my mom was one) cannot make out the lyrics to songs, or just don't bother, they just enjoy the beat and the melody.

I hate Anne Murray (not likely to be played at a wedding anyway) and the song "The Lady In Red" which a lot of people love. But other than that, I'm open.

• We figure if something was ever top 40 it's fair game. People just want to dance.
    We're probably in the minority here but we've put all Michael Jackson on our do not play list. Ugh.

• So far for me it's any kind of organized dance music (electric slide, macarena, chicken dance, etc) and anything you would hear in song with the n word, bitch, ho, etc. We are having a band with a DJ between sets. I'm telling the DJ to read the crowd. My dad already requested some 50's/60's.
  • kitty8403 said:
    Blue_Bird said:
    That song that keeps saying "Ass" over and over.
    ???
    it's "dance" by Big Sean
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards