Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

wedding party

Re: wedding party

• Options
    I love you artist folk and have complete respect because I could not do what you do, but can someone please tell the teacher in middle school to be nice to art students? We were required to take art and I tried my best, I just had no ability. I have an eye for art and I know what looks wrong, I have no ability to teach it. My art teacher, in 7th grade, told me that I best never try to create anything because I was a terrible artist and I would never make anything worth looking at. :( I tried so hard, I just sucked at it, but I hated everything to do with art until I went to college and realized that most artists weren't that way.
    I had a few VERY NASTY art teachers in high school. I was trying to round my skills out by taking as many of the traditional art classes as my school had to offer, and these two teachers were just straight-out mean if you were not in the group of hippie girls who did folk art kinds of things and wanted to have your own style. I stopped taking traditional art classes after being told, "I grade based on talent", and got into digital art from there.

I have seen that last teacher around town since then (and it's been eleven years, so yes, I hold a grudge because I actually fucking am talented), and you better believe I make eye contact with her and flip her off every time.

You did not deserve that bullshit from your middle school art teacher, or any teacher. People have different talents for different things, and I think a people forget that if a class wasn't required, some kids wouldn't take it. Some kids aren't into art, I will never understand why it is always pushed on them. 

I get that sometimes a kid will find that they like making art after being required to take the class, but even then, when they get shut down by someone who doesn't see that the student is enjoying what might become a hobby even if the teacher thinks they aren't any good at it. Some of these motherfuckers forget that inborn talent isn't present in everyone, and they need to fucking recognize that art is subjective.

Sorry I just went on a OT rant there because that kind of thing pisses me off.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    MagicInk said:

MagicInk said:

lilacck28 said:

MagicInk said:

I had a terrible art teacher in school too! We were making clay bowls once and my friend made a lopsided one and the teacher said "Have you never seen a bowl? Can you not do something so simple!? I pity you, those who can't create can't see the beauty in the world!", said friend now makes a nice living as an animator. But she still can't make a bowl.

I have a BFA in animation!

I'm not doing anything with my degree currently, but I am working on building my skills so that I can.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Yay artists!  I'm a musician on the side (play tenor and bari saxophone) and sang mezzo soprano in an opera chorus when I was in my late teens/early 20's.  I'm actually going to surprise my fi and family and play my saxophone with our band for a song at the reception! 

I'm such a geek. :-)   

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    beethery said:
    MagicInk said:
    lilacck28 said:
    MagicInk said:
    Oh no, no it's not rude to tell someone their rude idea is in fact rude. You have been horribly misinformed. I'm an artist. Do you know how many time in my life I have had people tell my idea for an art project is shitty and exactly why it is shitty? I listen to those people because they know more then I do and I make appropriate changes. Learning to accept criticism is part of being a grown up. 

SITB:

ME TOO! HI!! 
    That is all. Not touching the rest of this, entertaining as it is. 
    Yay two artists! Or maybe more! But for sure, two!!!
    Composer / musician here!  I know those artist feels.

(etf: can't spell today)
    Graphic designer/watercolor painter here!
    I'm a creative writer, I do calligraphy, I play violin, I act, and I sometimes draw and paint. Love them arts!
    Novelist here as well. Not much skill with the visual arts side of things, but words I can do :)
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    MairePoppy said:
    It seems like you want a large wedding party, which is fine. Just keep in mind that you will have to buy gifts and flowers (or a cheaper alternative) for each. Also, you will have to invite them and their significant others to your RD, so it can get expensive.

Congratulations on your engagement. 

So, not to try and hijack this thread and go way off-topic, but do you really
    have to host a rehearsal dinner? I am concerned that we cannot afford to host one properly and therefore decided not to have one. But, it is a destination wedding and the folks who are coming out for the ceremony rehearsal will be forced to spend the night at a hotel.

Given the circumstances I feel like we are obligated to host one. 
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @perdonami If you have a rehearsal, you need to feed people afterwards. But it can be as low-key as ordering pizza.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    perdonami said:
    MairePoppy said:

It seems like you want a large wedding party, which is fine. Just keep in mind that you will have to buy gifts and flowers (or a cheaper alternative) for each. Also, you will have to invite them and their significant others to your RD, so it can get expensive.

So, not to try and hijack this thread and go way off-topic, but do you really have to host a rehearsal dinner? I am concerned that we cannot afford to host one properly and therefore decided not to have one. But, it is a destination wedding and the folks who are coming out for the ceremony rehearsal will be forced to spend the night at a hotel.

SITDB
    A rehearsal dinner is required if you have a rehearsal. If your ceremony is simple, you can skip the rehearsal and therefore skip the dinner.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    @perdonami if you expect your wedding party to participate in a rehearsal, you should host something for them. It doesn't have to be an expensive dinner - pizza and soda will work, or if you have rehearsal earlier in the day, continental breakfast is fine. If your ceremony isn't complicated, you may not need a rehearsal. You and fi could meet with the officiant and give your wedding party their instructions right before the ceremony. No rehearsal - no dinner required.

• Options
    perdonami said:
    MairePoppy said:

So, not to try and hijack this thread and go way off-topic, but do you really have to host a rehearsal dinner? I am concerned that we cannot afford to host one properly and therefore decided not to have one. But, it is a destination wedding and the folks who are coming out for the ceremony rehearsal will be forced to spend the night at a hotel.

If you have a rehearsal then yes, you are obligated to host a rehearsal dinner.  If you can't afford to host a rehearsal dinner then you need to not have a rehearsal.  But a rehearsal dinner does not need to be fancy or expensive. 

• Options
    Viczaesar said:
    perdonami said:
    MairePoppy said:

If you have a rehearsal then yes, you are obligated to host a rehearsal dinner.  If you can't afford to host a rehearsal dinner then you need to not have a rehearsal.  But a rehearsal dinner does not need to be fancy or expensive. 
    Agreed. We had a rehearsal dinner at a local pizza place for our about 25 people (wedding party+immediate family) got a couple pizzas, a tray of pasta, and even with drinks and tip we were out of there for about $200.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    perdonami said:
    MairePoppy said:

why dont you just start your own thred? seriously...
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Eh, I think that it would have been easy to either search for an existing thread, and definitely appropriate to start a new one, but given the way this thread has turned into a nothing-thread, it's not really a problem.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    Artist here too! I work in marketing, so I do ads and bulletins and the like. I write (poetry, short stories, comics, "working" on a novel - aren't we all). I am TRYING to learn how to paint.... we'll see how that goes.... I agree that teachers need to be more open about "less" talent. With art being so threatened a subject as it is, steering kids who don't have natural talent away from something they could love as a hobby and therefore fight for in the future, that is just a further detriment to arts as a whole....
    My reaction to most everything on the internet today:
  • Options
    KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    MagicInk said:
    lilacck28 said:
    MagicInk said:
    Oh no, no it's not rude to tell someone their rude idea is in fact rude. You have been horribly misinformed. I'm an artist. Do you know how many time in my life I have had people tell my idea for an art project is shitty and exactly why it is shitty? I listen to those people because they know more then I do and I make appropriate changes. Learning to accept criticism is part of being a grown up. 

SITB:

ME TOO! HI!! 

I have an art degree, and critique day was my favorite!  ETA - I also had a horribly mean teacher in HS, she told me I was talent-less and should never try to pursue any advanced degree in art. So when I graduated with my BFA (in graphic design and computer art) I mailed her a copy of my diploma.
  • Options
    kasmith1 said:
    MagicInk said:
    lilacck28 said:
    MagicInk said:

SITB:

ME TOO! HI!! 

I have an art degree, and critique day was my favorite!  ETA - I also had a horribly mean teacher in HS, she told me I was talent-less and should never try to pursue any advanced degree in art. So when I graduated with my BFA (in graphic design and computer art) I mailed her a copy of my diploma.
    Photog here...but I don't really claim to be an artist ;)
    My work never critiqued well in college. I was convinced it was bc it wasn't "weird" enough. So I did some tasteful photos that made it appear that I was nude but hiding my body in shame. Tacked on a letter "written to my mom" about my low self-esteem and body image, blaming "her" and turned it in. I did it all just to see if I did something nude if I would get a better grade since the only a work in my class was drug related, nude or super jacked up self disclosure stuff.

Suddenly I was an A- student instead of a solid B. I was told I would have gotten an A if I had proudly displayed my full nude figure to show my mom in rebellion. Yeah, thanks, but no thanks creepy photog teacher man!

My MS & HS art teachers were all very supportive, but it could have been since I was slanted toward commercial style art to begin with...or I just got lucky and they were nice :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    beethery said:
    I love you artist folk and have complete respect because I could not do what you do, but can someone please tell the teacher in middle school to be nice to art students? We were required to take art and I tried my best, I just had no ability. I have an eye for art and I know what looks wrong, I have no ability to teach it. My art teacher, in 7th grade, told me that I best never try to create anything because I was a terrible artist and I would never make anything worth looking at. :( I tried so hard, I just sucked at it, but I hated everything to do with art until I went to college and realized that most artists weren't that way.
    I had a few VERY NASTY art teachers in high school. I was trying to round my skills out by taking as many of the traditional art classes as my school had to offer, and these two teachers were just straight-out mean if you were not in the group of hippie girls who did folk art kinds of things and wanted to have your own style. I stopped taking traditional art classes after being told, "I grade based on talent", and got into digital art from there.

I have seen that last teacher around town since then (and it's been eleven years, so yes, I hold a grudge because I actually fucking am talented), and you better believe I make eye contact with her and flip her off every time.

You did not deserve that bullshit from your middle school art teacher, or any teacher. People have different talents for different things, and I think a people forget that if a class wasn't required, some kids wouldn't take it. Some kids aren't into art, I will never understand why it is always pushed on them. 

I get that sometimes a kid will find that they like making art after being required to take the class, but even then, when they get shut down by someone who doesn't see that the student is enjoying what might become a hobby even if the teacher thinks they aren't any good at it. Some of these motherfuckers forget that inborn talent isn't present in everyone, and they need to fucking recognize that art is subjective.

Sorry I just went on a OT rant there because that kind of thing pisses me off.
    rant all you want. I knew I wasn't good, but I actually enjoyed myself until that point. Then I didn't bother trying. I was always the math nerd and it was fun to get creative, even if it didn't look good. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2014

I went away for the day and now everyone is chit chatting about art! 

I hated art in middle school as well. Well, I didn't hate art, but I hated art class! My middle school art teachers were not good. In fact, I received my first (and possible only? Can't remember all my grades) C from my 6th grade art teacher. Until my parents complained. (I had been out of school for about two months due to pseudo tumor cerebra, and was supposed to be excused for the missed work. Fun Stuff.) AND THEN.... I kept drawing Disney princesses and decided I liked drawing anyway. 

CORRECTION: that was in 7th grade. 
  • Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2014

kasmith1 said:

LOVE.

I'm a painter... for lack of a better, more specific than "artist" word. I draw, I paint, I work with fibers (embroidery), and I've dabbled in installation of late (grad school man, they really want you to branch out.) Speaking of, I just graduated with my MFA, and I am planning to teach college. For now, until I am able to break into the world of adjuncting (horrible as it is, that's still my goal!)I have a summer job teaching elementary and middle school kids-- I hope I am a better teacher than all of these terrible/ discouraging/ downright mean ones most of us have experience with! 
  • Options
    Artist here too! I work in marketing, so I do ads and bulletins and the like. I write (poetry, short stories, comics, "working" on a novel - aren't we all). I am TRYING to learn how to paint.... we'll see how that goes.... I agree that teachers need to be more open about "less" talent. With art being so threatened a subject as it is, steering kids who don't have natural talent away from something they could love as a hobby and therefore fight for in the future, that is just a further detriment to arts as a whole....
    I had dalliances in watercolor with no real instruction in it for a long time and the results were... subpar. But I really liked how watercolor looked, so I finally said FUCK IT and found a local art college that has continuing education classes, and one of them happened to be watercolor. I think it was $220 for 6 weeks, and now I watercolor all the time.

I don't use all the techniques I learned in the class, but they are good to know in case I ever want to change it up. Plus, art technique rules are made to be broken.

It was nice to take those classes because the teacher didn't care if you were good at it or not (I was horrible for the first 4 weeks. I literally could not make anything look right and I was literally getting frustrated with my brain for not being able to figure shit out), AND I had 2.5 hours once a week where I did nothing but paint and learn about painting and there was no distraction.

I think I'm going to look for a sculpture or printmaking class next.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I'm jealous of artists. Other than two-plus decades of piano lessons and an art class that enabled me to identify major artists of the Italian Renaissance, I have zero, zip, zilch artistic ability.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I think there are a lot of things that can be taught, and much of what constitutes "artistic ability" is one of them. Learning to very closely observe is the biggest factor. So, if you really want to make art work, and have patience, it is certainly possible to become a very good artist/ draftsman. 

My grandma talks about how she can not draw, mostly because she has had wrist surgeries and does not have very much hand dexterity. But there are so many different types of art (conceptual, performance, collage) that if she wanted she could also be an artist. 

Most of being an artist is practice and being stubborn enough to keep working on things and formulating new ideas. Just doing my part to dispel the "starving, genius, artist" myth. Though I don't really mind being thought of as a genius, and I don't think anyone would think I was starving! 
    I'm jealous of artists. Other than two-plus decades of piano lessons and an art class that enabled me to identify major artists of the Italian Renaissance, I have zero, zip, zilch artistic ability.

• Options
    @lilacck28 I agree. My friend was saying something the other day about how she'd lost her artistic drawing abilities after not keeping up with it for a few years, and said she wasn't sure if it's something that will ever come back.

I explained that drawing relies a LOT on muscle memory. I took MANY figure drawing classes in college, and part of it was to keep my drawing ability worked out. The more you draw, the more muscle memory you create/enforce towards being able to consistently draw what you see or what your mind is picturing.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Yay artists! I write poetry. Well, not much anymore, but I was very prolific in HS/college and was published in a few anthologies. I even did creative writing as a minor. Then the spark was gone. Not sure what happened, but I haven't really written much in the 10+ years since. I started doing makeup artistry after graduation. Now, I throw my energies into paper-craft (origami, scrapbooking, etc.) and needlecraft (knitting, cross-stitching, sewing, etc.). I danced for years too, but stopped when my knees and back gave out on me.

During a hurricane a few years ago, I found my old violin submerged in my flooded basement. Never mind that I hadn't played the thing in years, but it didn't stop me from crying for a solid hour. All my sheet music (piano, violin, and voice) were destroyed too.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    beethery said:
    MagicInk said:
    lilacck28 said:
    MagicInk said:

SITB:

ME TOO! HI!! 

Graphic designer/watercolor painter here!
    I'm a creative writer, I do calligraphy, I play violin, I act, and I sometimes draw and paint. Love them arts!
    I'd love to be able to play the violin!

I used to dance, I did musical theater and took voice lessons for a bit (Opera), and I was a dual Bio/Studio Art major in college until the head of the art department pissed me right the fuck off, so I stopped with the req's to fulfill the major.  I draw, do illuminations, and dabble in digital illustration (Cintiq what what!) now.

I miss singing a lot but no time for lessons atm :/

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    During a hurricane a few years ago, I found my old violin submerged in my flooded basement. Never mind that I hadn't played the thing in years, but it didn't stop me from crying for a solid hour. All my sheet music (piano, violin, and voice) were destroyed too.
    Oh my God, I seriously just teared up.  What an awful thing, I'm sorry!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards