Attire & Accessories Forum

Need Some Help Choosing My Wedding Ring

Hi all! I'm looking for some help deciding which wedding ring to get. (Pictures of both are attached.) =)

FI bought my engagement ring and his wedding band at Kay Jewelers, but I didn't really see anything there that jumped out at me. Eventually I found a ring that is pretty and that everyone says looks good, but I'm not really excited about it. I like it more than anything else I tried on there, but "like" is the strongest word I can use.

Then later, on a whim, we went to look at Macy's. I tried on a pave accent ring that I saw there and fell in LOVE with it. It was exactly what I wanted. I very nearly bought it right then and there. The rings are the same width, but the diamonds on the Macy's ring don't go quite as far down the sides and are more subtle overall.

Okay, so why is there even a question? Well, Kay Jewelers offers a lifetime protection plan that covers cleaning, repair, resizing, and warranties the stones for the life of the ring, all for free. On the other hand, the plan from Macy's offers cleaning and sizing but only covers the diamonds for 3 months. FI is leery of buying such an important thing from a retailer that doesn't seem to care about you after you've paid. So my dilemma is this: do I get the ring I dearly love and then have to fend for myself cost-wise if something happens to it, or do I go with the ring that I feel just okay about but that will always be taken care of?

Re: Need Some Help Choosing My Wedding Ring

• Add a rider on your homeowners insurance to cover the ring and get the one you love.

• Bring a picture of the Macy's ring to a local independent jeweler.  I'm sure you could find a smaller business with a better lifetime guarantee who carries a ring just like that.

• Mitch617 said:
    Bring a picture of the Macy's ring to a local independent jeweler.  I'm sure you could find a smaller business with a better lifetime guarantee who carries a ring just like that.
    Ooh, I never thought about doing that! Thanks!
  • When you look at a ring at a department store, you are not really shopping at Macy's.  Their fine jewelry department is leased by a large jewelry corporation which you may never have heard of.  I used to work for Finlay, who used to be their vendor before it folded in the economic downturn.  I don't know who took over from them.
    I would be very suspicious of lifetime guarantees.  Read the fine print very carefully.  Somebody has to pay for this coverage.  Are their prices higher so that they can make this claim?  Get what you want.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I would get the one you love. Or have someone make the one you love.  Have it appraised and then insured.  :-)

• I second lolo883: take out insurance on the ring. Then you're covered. Check Kay's fine print... I kind of doubt they cover all the things an insurance company would (loss, damage), and their (Kay's) coverage probably comes with some strings, as CMGragain suggest. 
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Mitch & Lolo both have excellent suggestions. FWIW, I love the Macy's ring waaaay more. 
  • I agree with PP, this is a piece of jewelry that you will wear for a very long time - you need to be happy with it.

My FI bought my engagement ring from a smallish local jewelry chain in our area and it offers the lifetime guarentee in the event that anything happens (they also offer something like the value of the existing stone if you decide to "upgrade" your ring in the future).  Their fine print requires you to go to the store and have the ring inspected/cleaned at least every 6 months or the warranty is void.  I bought an additional policy to tack onto our homeowners and it is only $30/year and it covers full replacement cost - just in case.  I didn't want to take the chance just in case we ever move out of range of the store or something happens when I'm overdue to have an inspection.

We went back to that store to pick out my wedding band and not only couldn't I find "THE RING" the second salesperson we worked with did not treat FI well so I did not want to give them any more of our business than absolutely necessary.  In the end we found the perfect band at Blue Nile for $200 less than the jewelry store and I can't be happier with how they look together! :-)
    Anniversary
  • ShellD13 said:
    [...] Their fine print requires you to go to the store and have the ring inspected/cleaned at least every 6 months or the warranty is void. 
    Yes, that's how the Kay protection plan is (my engagement ring has it). FI had to pay for it up front when he bought the ring and as long as I bring it in every six months they will clean, repair, and resize for life at no cost. I think that by itself is great, but adding additional insurance never occurred to me.

My biggest concern about the Macy's ring is the length of time they cover the diamonds.  My thinking is, none of those stones are going to come out in 3 months, but some might after 5 or 6. And since it's a pave ring, there are a lot more stones in there than it looks like. Replacing them would get expensive fast!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited May 2014
    Here is the Kay's policy from their website: We want you to be completely happy with your diamond and color gemstone jewelry, from the day you make your purchase, through all the years to come. That's why we guarantee our diamond and color gemstone jewelry for a lifetime, as long as 6-month inspections have been performed and documented by an authorized representative. Our diamonds and color gemstones are cut and polished by master craftsmen whose skill makes your stone beautiful and brilliant. We also guarantee the accurate carat weight of your stone and the gold content of your mounting. Here is what we cover: Stone Replacement We will replace, free of charge*, any diamond, emerald, ruby or sapphire covered by this Guarantee if it chips, breaks, or is lost from its original setting during normal wear. In order for your Diamond and Gemstone Guarantee to remain in effect, you must have your diamond and/or gemstone inspected and have the inspection documented every 6 months by an authorized representative at a Kay Jewelers store. In addition, all necessary repairs must be completed by our representatives. *This includes the labor and materials necessary to set the replacement diamond or gemstone. Mounting Guarantee For twelve months from the date of purchase, we guarantee the mounting for your diamond, emerald, ruby or sapphire against all defects in material or workmanship. We will repair or replace your mounting without charge if any defects are found during this period. Lifetime Diamond Trade-In Policy You may trade in your diamond for another diamond at least double the trade-in value. The trade-in value is the original purchase price, excluding charges such as tax and shipping. Color gemstone jewelry is not eligible for trade-in. Trade-Ins of in-store and online purchases are accepted at any Kay Jewelers location. (Trade-ins are not accepted at kay.com.) Free Lifetime Cleaning and Inspections Bring your diamond or color gemstone jewelry into any Kay Jewelers location as often as you wish for free professional cleaning and inspection. (Cleaning and inspections are not available at kay.com.) Return and Exchange Policy If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, you may return it within 60 days to any Kay Jewelers or kay.com. You may also exchange it within 90 days of purchase at any Kay Jewelers location .** Custom designed merchandise, class rings, special ordered watches and items engraved with personalized information cannot be returned or exchanged. Learn More about our return and exchange policy **Exchanges are not accepted at kay.com. Give Us a Call If you have any questions concerning your jewelry or this Guarantee, please contact the Kay nearest you, or our Customer Care team.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited May 2014
    The Knot reply is not working today. I'll come back and highlight the Kay policy later when the Knot techies fix it. There is no free ring sizing after your initial sizing. The guarantee is only for "normal wear". They are guaranteeing that the stones are what they are supposed to be - not fake. Duh. Free cleaning? Any jeweler will do this for you for any ring. Free inspection ? Ditto. Trade in for a better or bigger stone? Ditto. You will pay them their profit with the price of the second ring or stone. This would not apply to your wedding band because it has no main stone. They will replace your mounting if it is defective during the first year only? I would think so! Kay's mounts are made for them in China. For you to make a claim, you must have had your ring inspected by Kay's every 6 months. There is nothing really special about this guarantee. I wouldn't let it influence my decision.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2014
    ShellD13 said:
    [...] Their fine print requires you to go to the store and have the ring inspected/cleaned at least every 6 months or the warranty is void. 
    Yes, that's how the Kay protection plan is (my engagement ring has it). FI had to pay for it up front when he bought the ring and as long as I bring it in every six months they will clean, repair, and resize for life at no cost. I think that by itself is great, but adding additional insurance never occurred to me.

My biggest concern about the Macy's ring is the length of time they cover the diamonds.  My thinking is, none of those stones are going to come out in 3 months, but some might after 5 or 6. And since it's a pave ring, there are a lot more stones in there than it looks like. Replacing them would get expensive fast!
    If you have a dud for a ring and diamonds are coming out every month, then yeah, I suppose so. But those small diamonds should only cost maybe $10-$30 each. 

If you look back into my history, you can see that my very first post on the knot was about whether or not I should get a pave engagement ring, as I was nervous about the stones falling out. I decided to get one, and its been fine. I knew it would be inexpensive to replace the stones, it was more the hassle that I was concerned with than the money. I was going to take insurance out on the ring anyway. My ring has been just fine, and I've not been particularly gentle with it. Macy's is pretty reputable. I would go with the ring you love, though in person, do the rings really look different? 

And seriously... INSURANCE! Jewelry stores do not cover you losing your ring.

ETA: and they don't cover if it gets stolen, or if they deem that you do not fall within the parameters of "normal usage".   
  • lilacck28 said:
    ShellD13 said:

If you have a dud for a ring and diamonds are coming out every month, then yeah, I suppose so. But those small diamonds should only cost maybe $10-$30 each. 

If you look back into my history, you can see that my very first post on the knot was about whether or not I should get a pave engagement ring, as I was nervous about the stones falling out. I decided to get one, and its been fine. I knew it would be inexpensive to replace the stones, it was more the hassle that I was concerned with than the money. I was going to take insurance out on the ring anyway. My ring has been just fine, and I've not been particularly gentle with it. Macy's is pretty reputable. I would go with the ring you love, though in person, do the rings really look different? 

And seriously... INSURANCE! Jewelry stores do not cover you losing your ring.

ETA: and they don't cover if it gets stolen, or if they deem that you do not fall within the parameters of "normal usage".   
    So much this!!! You should have insurance on all your jewelry anyways. All policies have  jewelry coverage on them, but it's generally pretty low so if your ring doesn't fall under that amount then you need to add it to your insurance policy or get a separate one for it. I would be much more worried about my ring getting stolen or lost than I would about one of the diamonds falling out. That would be much cheaper to replace than the entire ring.

As far as which ring, I ended up losing a night of sleep and having a small panic attack over the wedding ring that I chose. As soon as the store opened the next morning I called them and told them I didn't want the ring I picked out and I needed to come back. I went back and spent a few more hours there and we came up with something that was so much better and I didn't lose anymore sleep over it. Get the ring that you love. If you're this torn over getting the ring from Kay's because there is one you like better then you should just get the one you like better. Kay's "guarantee" isn't worth all that. 

Honestly Kay's plan is basically a scam to get more money. You pay for it up front and while you may think that you will bring it in every 6 months, after the first couple of times life gets in the way. They will also hold you to exactly 6 months so if it's been 6 months and 2 days and you lose a diamond they won't replace it. I had this plan for an opal ring that I bought from there and after they had to replace it twice they told me they would no longer replace it for free because they had a limit to how many times they would replace the same stone even though I couldn't find anything in their fine print about that. It was the last time I ever bought jewelry from a chain store.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards