Chit Chat
Options

nwr: My flight is delayed so I went to the bar

And EVERYONE was on their smart phone or tablet (me to, I was mobile knotting). So I'm looking around remembering all the great convos I used to have with strangers pre smart life. So I put down my phone and strike up a convo with dude next to me. Turns out we are peripherally connected and had a lovely convo. Yay putting technology away! Am I alone on this island?
My reaction to most everything on the internet today:

Re: nwr: My flight is delayed so I went to the bar

• Options
    Nope, not alone.  A while back I was at a bar waiting for Fi to arrive and my phone was dead.  The girl next to me struck up a conversation and she was pretty cool!  I talk to bartenders, too.  

Fi and I also have a strict no-phones rule while we're eating or drinking together.  At home or at a restaurant.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    My son, age 31, has complained about dating younger ladies who want to text and tweet while they are with him.  He says that as soon as he sees a girl doing this while she is on a date with him, he crosses her off the list.  So rude.
    At daughter's wedding, I was stuck at a table with the in-laws, who were playing electronic games and texting.  Ew!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I seem to travel during work days so I tend to be on my tablet or phone doing work while waiting.    But if I don't have to be doing any work I often strike up conversations.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    ladyamanuetladyamanuet member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary First Answer
    edited May 2014
    I'm 30, and I'm a bit guilty of technology addiction. But I much prefer actual human interaction! FH and I have been together over 5 years, we have dedicated "no technology" nights - no phones, no computers, no tv. Just us and good old fashioned conversation.

Edited to fix smart phone auto corrects - lol
  • Options
    Oh and if the delay is long enough I'm in a bar.   

Speaking of which my flight back from the east coast got changed.  Now I have 5 hours in O'hara.   No doubt I will be hitting up a bar that day

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Senecaf said:

I'm totally awkward one on one. I find myself going to my phone just to avoid dorkiness.

Same here! I just never have any idea what to say to strangers. If someone approaches me, I'll do okay. But I can strike up a convo. However, I'd love to institute a no tech night with FI. We're both always on our phones.
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    My son, age 31, has complained about dating younger ladies who want to text and tweet while they are with him.  He says that as soon as he sees a girl doing this while she is on a date with him, he crosses her off the list.  So rude.
    At daughter's wedding, I was stuck at a table with the in-laws, who were playing electronic games and texting.  Ew!
    SO rude.

A few of Fi's family members have this problem, but not his parents-- just the younger generation.  His cousin's Fi once sat at the table at Christmas dinner with his phone propped up on a tripod, earbuds in his ears, watching a video.  At Christmas dinner.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I'm flying southwest, was at the very front of my podium, some chick cut in front of me. Thank Hera I had two glass of wine, or bitch would have been cut! Of course, those two glasses made me leave my roller case at the charging station when my group was called. Thankfully I thought about overhead space before I boarded and was like "oh shit my bag!" Yay, entertainment. I'm so embarrassed. But the wine makes me not care! :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I'm totally awkward one on one. I find myself going to my phone just to avoid dorkiness.
    Same here! I just never have any idea what to say to strangers. If someone approaches me, I'll do okay. But I can strike up a convo. However, I'd love to institute a no tech night with FI. We're both always on our phones.
    I'm the same way out in public. Feels awkward and like I'm staring at ppl if I'm not on my phone. 

FI and I are trying not to be so phone-obsessed at home though...just instituted a "no devices after 8pm" rule yesterday. (He's not home right now, so I'm off the hook.)

• Options
    As soon as DH leaves work he is on his phone with people about work.  If he tries to go in late he is always on his phone doing work things.   The only time they are not contacting him seems to be from 10pm until 7am.

He's a god damn chef not trying to solve world piece here people.

• Options
    DH and I have strict 'no technology' rules about the time we have together on weeknights (about an hour between him getting home and me going to bed), and on weekends.

I totally just Knotted my way through a meeting, though.

Traveling usually raises my anxiety, though, so I like to sit and read a book in peace and quiet in airports.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I have a cell phone.  It is very basic, and it stays in my purse unless it is really needed.
    I treasure my time alone.  When I am out browsing in a store, the last thing I want is to talk to DH and get his opinion!  I'll call if there is an emergency, or if my plans change, but that's about all.
    I don't get it.  I never will.  I know it's a generation thing.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I'm guilty of spending too much time on my phone. I try to keep away from it during family dinners though. 

I'd probably be on my phone at a bar by myself. I am awkward. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    I'm guilty of spending too much time on my phone. I try to keep away from it during family dinners though. 

I've been known to sit in a nice restaurant or bar with my book or Nook reader.  Sometimes I just want yummy food and a beer.  And to read my book!  Not awkward unless you make it awkward.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I've been traveling all day and had a great time chatting with a couple at the bar of the hotel tonight. I love chatting with strangers.

FI's family is constantly on their phones during dinners and events. I hate it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    chibiyui said:

I've been known to sit in a nice restaurant or bar with my book or Nook reader.  Sometimes I just want yummy food and a beer.  And to read my book!  Not awkward unless you make it awkward.
    :p I'm pretty awkward.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of chatting up strangers anywhere. I'm an introvert, and usually just prefer to lose myself in my Kindle or whatever I'm working on. When someone has struck up a conversation with me, they've invariably been the type that never shut up or let anyone have a word edgewise, or are whatever flavor of freak, crazy person, bigot, or dumbass is on the menu for the day. I just don't have a good track record of that kind of thing, so I'd rather just send the 'leave me alone' vibe.
  • Options
    pinkshorts27pinkshorts27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2014
    Went to the bar to watch the golf on TV and had multiple people buy me drinks because they liked my shirt. I think my parents got it on ThinkGeek:

"There are only 10 types of people in the world, those that know binary and those that don't"

I like talking to people in bars at the airport. :)

(I was in SJC, so SI Valley, makes sense I guess)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I hate talking to randoms anywhere.  I suck at small talk, so I don't want to have to make it with people randomly at the airport, on the bus, etc.  I usually read.  I don't have a cell phone, so that's out.  DH is good with his.  The only time it's out is when we're discussing something and he uses it to look up info on the discussion/plans (times, tickets, etc.)

• Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Nope, you are not alone. When my friends & I meet up at bars and I am the first person there, I try really hard not to bust out the phone because I HATE how connected everyone is. It saddens me when I look around a room and everyone, even those with company, is buried in their phone or tablet. 

Good for you!
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    My name is mysticl and I do not own a smart phone.  I'm on my third phone in a with our carrier because I keep getting defective ones.  They keep trying to give me a smart phone instead and I refuse.  

I do own a Nook but it is mostly used when I'm breastfeeding.  Or I will set it up in the kitchen with something from Netflix or Pandora while I'm cleaning.  

I used to fly a fair amount and would sit and read in airports or on the plane.  Sometimes I end up talking to random people, sometimes I don't.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards