Chit Chat
Options

What's in her bag?

It's been bugging me for days.  This woman in my office carries a small purse cross-wise on her body all damn day.  She sits with it when in her chair.  She walks to the copy machine with it.  It's small, a tiny purse with a looong strap.  What could be in that thing?

Re: What's in her bag?

• Options
    She probably has her period this week and that's where she keeps her tampons.

Or is this literally an every day thing?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    She might be diabetic? I have a friend who brings her bag with her across the room; I think it's just habit because her insulin is on her at all times.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    She probably has her period this week and that's where she keeps her tampons.

Or is this literally an every day thing?
    that is what I was thinking.   Or maybe that is how she carries her phone? 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Medication, epipen, diabetes test kit, tampons,

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe she has a sever allergy and keeps some epipens in there. Or like the PP said she might be diabetic.
  • Options
    I was thinking diabetic supplies.  Or she's super-allergic and has an epi-pen.  Because, yes, it's seriously every day.  I just wanted to ask someone to see if my thoughts were possible, or if she's just an odd duck.

We both recently changed seats so now we're reasonably near each other, whereas when I first got here, I have no idea where she sat, but it wasn't near me.
  • Options
    afox007afox007 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Vintage hearing aid? 

• Options
    If it's always then I would assume it's something medical.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    I was thinking diabetic supplies.  Or she's super-allergic and has an epi-pen.  Because, yes, it's seriously every day.  I just wanted to ask someone to see if my thoughts were possible, or if she's just an odd duck.

We both recently changed seats so now we're reasonably near each other, whereas when I first got here, I have no idea where she sat, but it wasn't near me.
    Yeah I'd assume something medical, then.  Diabetes or allergy sounds like a good bet as PPs mentioned.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Probably medical supplies. My weird brain also thought weapon. Many women who purse carry ensure their purse is always on them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Probably medical supplies. My weird brain also thought weapon. Many women who purse carry ensure their purse is always on them.
    Chicago JUST got a concealed carry law, so there are those stickers everywhere of a gun with a circle and a line through it.  There's one at the entrance to our building, so I don't think it's that.  Besides, if I was going to concealed carry, I'd have one of those gun bra things, because that's badass.
  • Options
    adk19 said:

Chicago JUST got a concealed carry law, so there are those stickers everywhere of a gun with a circle and a line through it.  There's one at the entrance to our building, so I don't think it's that.  Besides, if I was going to concealed carry, I'd have one of those gun bra things, because that's badass.
    We just had to post one of these at work too! I'm also in the Chicago area.
  • Options
    adk19 said:

Maybe my Canadian is showing, but why do you need to carry a gun to work in an office? If I EVER felt the need to have a gun at work, it's time for a new job.

Anniversary
  • Options
    adk19 said:

Maybe my Canadian is showing, but why do you need to carry a gun to work in an office? If I EVER felt the need to have a gun at work, it's time for a new job.
    I carry my gun everywhere. Do I plan to use it? No. But I would rather be prepared.

• Options
    if I die before my FI, I've already told him he has to carry a vial of my ashes around his neck.

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • Options
    Maybe it's snacks. Or the remains of her late husband. I hope it's snacks.
    It could be both...

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • Options
    @emmaaa I'm curious, do you feel unsafe if you don't have your gun with you? I'm not trying to start a discussion on gun rights, but I'm honestly curious about why some one would need to carry a gun everywhere. We can't legally do that here so I've never had the mindset that I need a gun on me at all times. But, I'm lucky I've also never been in a situation where I felt like I need to protect myself.

Anniversary
  • Options
    My bet is insulin pump. 

Maybe he is the snacks.

• Options
    @LadyMillil I generally try not to put myself in situations that are unsafe or that make me uncomfortable. However, we all know too well that things happen beyond our control. I am the type of person who likes/needs to feel in control pretty much all of the time. 

I will say this though: I was taught growing up how to protect myself (sans gun). I have taken self-defense classes, safety training, how to be alert to your surroundings, and I grew up with two brothers and best friends that were boys. So a gun would never be my "go to" move to protect myself because I have other skills that I can get away from a possible threat or harm someone assaulting me rather than shooting them.

I have been around guns my whole life. My family grew up hunting and target shooting. I know how to properly and safely handle different types of guns (shotguns, rifles, semi-automatic rifles, handguns). I have taken the Hunters' Safety Course and Weaponry Safety Course. I think it is extremely important that those who own guns or are using guns need to know how to properly store, use, and clean them. 

When I don't have my gun, it isn't that I don't feel protected because I feel like I can protect myself pretty well. It is the fact I don't feel prepared. And like I said, using a gun should never be one's initial reaction to an assault. 

I have been approached by a man trying to get my near his car to give him directions (while I was walking down the road at 14 years old). I have been verbally assaulted by someone trying to scam me out of money (I know this because my old college had sent an email out about him, picture included). He did not leave me alone until he grabbed my arm very firmly and I jerked away and punched him. I have been sexually assaulted as a waitress (customers grabbing me inappropriately). Now, each of these instances, I did not have my gun. I was either too young or in areas that they were not allowed. I still was able to defend myself either verbally or physically and everything turned out okay. I just don't believe in waiting for the worse to happen before you prepare yourself.

I understand people's resistance to guns. I genuinely do. If you have never been exposed to guns or learned how to properly handle one then they are very scary, which is how they should be. Guns are supposed to be scary. That way the sight of one could ward off an assailant. That way people know not to "play' with them. If all you have ever been exposed to gun-wise is the killing and harm they cause, then it is safe to assume you would be scared or confused, and that is okay. And that is how it should be.

• Options
    My bet is insulin pump. 

Maybe he is the snacks.
    Mmmm beef jerky.
  • Options
    My grandma carried around a bag like that.  It had her colonoscopy  (sp?) bag in it.
  • Options
    I sometimes carry my across-the-body purse with me random places/everywhere. But, that's mostly because I like to have my purse with me, having hands free/not slipping off the shoulder is convenient, I forget it's there or I'm just too lazy to take it off. It happens. I have sat with it on at restaurants if it was super crowded and/or dirty and I felt uncomfortable leaving it on the chair or on the floor. I'm super protective of my purse. I don't understand those girls that I see go out dancing and leave their purses completely unattended. I'm not so extreme that I carry it always every day everywhere, but it does happen sometimes. Maybe it's just habit?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• Options
    KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    adk19 said:

Well, I'm from Oklahoma where you can OPENLY carry a gun and I totally agree with you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    adk19 said:

Those aren't an everywhere thing? I'm in Arizona, our gun laws are pretty...um...laxed. It's not uncommon to see someone walking around with a gun on their hip, just going about their day. So a lot of places have the no weapon sign things, I'm so used to seeing them I assumed they were standard issue.

I carry pepper spray in my purse.
  • Options
    No, the no guns stickers were definitely not an everywhere thing.  Within Chicago city limits it was illegal to carry a gun up until a few months ago (maybe a year now? maybe since January?)  So they didn't need to have the signs.  Anyone who is illegally carrying a gun will do so whether there's a sign or a law or not, so we didn't need the signs until the law passed (or was repealed, or whatever it was that happened.)
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Another Chicagoan here. And I happened to lobby on this issue. IL was required to pass a conceal to carry law after a Supreme Court decide in 2013. Every othere state in the Union has conceal to coarry except IL. As of Jan 2014, you can carry your gun as long as you have the proper paper work, which is very hard to get. One of the amendments of the legislation was that each business got to decide if they would allow conceal to carry on their property. It has since opened up a huge can of worms. So more changes to the law are coming.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @emmaaa Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I really appreciate it.

Anniversary
  • Options

I live in MA where the gun laws are insanely strict. Many types are banned here (like semi- automatics I believe). Anyway, I was attacked by a dog last year while on a run and I no longer feel safe running alone outdoors. So I wanted mace. In MA, you need the same gun license just to legally carry mace so I had to take the whole safety course and everything. When my permit finally came in the mail and FI and I went to the gun store he kept trying to push me into getting a gun. I said no. I just want mace, I just want to be able to stop a threat and get away. There is no part of me that wants the ability to kill something, even a dog.

We don't have "no gun" stickers here, except for the obvious school zones, courthouse, airport.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards