Not Engaged Yet
Options

Book Suggestions

I need 3 or 4 for the honeymoon to download to my kindle.  I'm open to pretty much anything except cheesy romance novels.  My last book was The Fault in Our Stars it was ok....

Go....

Anniversary

Re: Book Suggestions

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    We are reading The Husband's Secret for bookclub this month and next month we're reading Orange is the New Black (the book the tv show was based off of). Last month we read Afterwards. I heard it was kind of sad and I never got around to actually reading it (oops) but everyone seemed to think it was really good!

• Options
    I'm about to start the Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. These are some of the books I've read so far this year and liked. The two with ** are ones that I really loved and highly recommend.

Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
    The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
    Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson
    The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman
    The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton**
    The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein**
    Defending Jacob by William Landay

• Options

@swazzle

how were sharp objects and dark places? I was hooked on Gone Girl but kind of disappointed in the end, were the good reads at least?

Anniversary

• Options

@swazzle

how were sharp objects and dark places? I was hooked on Gone Girl but kind of disappointed in the end, were the good reads at least?

I liked them both better than Gone Girl for that same reason.

• Options
    I just started reading "We Are Water" by Wally Lamb. I love his books, so I would reccomend reading any of his books.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm also starting The Goldfinch soon. Right now, I'm in the middle of two YA rereads: The Amber Spyglass and Howl's Moving Castle. I love HMC more than I did the first time I read it, but I've been really disappointed rereading His Dark Materials. I'm beginning to suspect Philip Pullman is a liiiittle bit of a misogynist.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    @Swazzle how are you liking The Goldfinch? I tried reading it a few months ago but just couldn't get through it. People seem to either love it or hate it.

Not sure if you've seen the series, but the Veronica Mars book was really good. I couldn't put it down. I'm sad they're only publishing one more.

I always recommend Water for Elephants. There's a romance aspect, but it's not all about the romance.

I'm reading Burial Rites by Hannah Kent right now, and I really like it. Haven't gotten very far into it, but I'd recommend it based on the story so far. 

I tend to gravitate towards historical fiction (I majored in History and English in college, and my reading taste definitely reflects that). Some recent ones I enjoyed were: The Paris Wife by Paula McLain, The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Houser, The House Girl by Tara Conklin, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See, and anything by Tracy Chevalier. 

If you like memoirs, I recommend The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls or Bossypants by Tina Fey. I've heard Mindy Kaling's memoir is really good too.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    @weewittlewizabeth You're the second person who's said the Veronica Mars book was good and ahhhhhh I need to read it ASAP.
    Anniversary
  • Options

@swazzle awesome, definitely adding those two onto my list!

I think I may add The Goldfinch as well. I love all of these suggestions!!

Anniversary

• Options
    I just finished Eleanor and Park with I really liked, and I'm currently reading Atonement which I surprisingly like too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2014

@weewittlewizabeth I read Water for Elephants a year or two ago.  The book was good the movie was awful...

ETA I hit send too soon. I like historical fiction as well I'll have to look into those suggestions too.

Anniversary

• Options
    @Hummingbird125 Atonement has been on my to-read list forever but I always find something better to read instead I don't know why either.

Anniversary

• Options
    @phira It was SOOOO good! It was basically like reading an episode of the show. I really want them to publish more than 2 books. 

• Options
    @Peaseblossom55 - I didn't think I'd like it because I'm not into any of that time period drama stuff, but I think it's really well written and a good story so far. Definitely worth a try! I also always have to recommend my all-time favorite book Wild by Cheryl Strayed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @weewittlewizabeth - I haven't started it yet. I have it downloaded and open on my nook but haven't actually begun. I'll let you know! 

• Options
    I loved defending Jacob.

I just read the testing and independent study (there's a third one I forget) and while hunger gamesy I liked them a lot (their reviews are mixed at best)

I should be reading the goldfinch but I'm reading picture perfect by Jodi picoult cause I had it on hold from the library and it came available. I like it so far but I'm only in chapter 5-6.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    Oh yes and the best weirdest non fiction is Stiff by Mary Roach.

It is not honeymoon material - it's about all your body's options after death...embalming, research etc
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    Oh yes and the best weirdest non fiction is Stiff by Mary Roach. It is not honeymoon material - it's about all your body's options after death...embalming, research etc
    Interested but maybe not for the honeymoon!

Anniversary

• Options
    I recently read the Maze Runner because they are making a movie out of it. I really enjoyed it. It was a fun, easy read. It also has a different feel to it than other YA dystopian novels because it has a male lead instead of a female one.

• Options
    @Bethsmiles, thanks! I like reading books based on movies I've got a few suggestions I can hopefully download this week!

Anniversary

• Options
    phiraphira member
    Oh yes and the best weirdest non fiction is Stiff by Mary Roach. It is not honeymoon material - it's about all your body's options after death...embalming, research etc
    Interested but maybe not for the honeymoon!
    Mary Roach is unbelievably funny. Nothing she writes is honeymoon material (especially not Bonk--a book about sex), but everything she writes is fascinating and absolutely hilarious. I haven't read everything by her (yet), but Stiff is very good, as is Packing for Mars (which is about spaaaaace, but it's not honeymoon material because there's definitely at least one chapter about poop).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I loved defending Jacob. I just read the testing and independent study (there's a third one I forget) and while hunger gamesy I liked them a lot (their reviews are mixed at best) I should be reading the goldfinch but I'm reading picture perfect by Jodi picoult cause I had it on hold from the library and it came available. I like it so far but I'm only in chapter 5-6.
    It made me SO ANGRY. I absolutely hated the end. 

• Options
    I read Waiting to be Heard by Amanda Knox on my honeymoon. 

• Options
    @Swazzle - What did you think of the Amanda Knox book? I read it too but it didn't really convince me of her innocence or her guilt. I still am not sure how I feel about it.

• Options
    @Swazzle - What did you think of the Amanda Knox book? I read it too but it didn't really convince me of her innocence or her guilt. I still am not sure how I feel about it.
    I was already leaning towards thinking she's innocent and reading her account just pushed me even further in that direction. I really don't believe she had anything to do with it at all. 

• Options
    @Swazzle I haven't read it, but I've always thought she was innocent too. Innocent or guilty though, Italy needs to make up its damn mind. This back-and-forth thing is just ridiculous.

• Options
    Swazzle said:
    I was already leaning towards thinking she's innocent and reading her account just pushed me even further in that direction. I really don't believe she had anything to do with it at all. 
    I think sometimes I lean toward maybe guilty because I can't fathom how/why sometime would do some of the really stupid things she did. But most of the time I think she's probably innocent and made a lot of really dumb decisions.

• Options
    I just finished the Husband's Secret and I really enjoyed it. I started the Goldfinch yesterday. So far, it's okay. It is soooo long though, so it better be a good book! I noticed that people either love or hate that book.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Swazzle said:
    I think sometimes I lean toward maybe guilty because I can't fathom how/why sometime would do some of the really stupid things she did. But most of the time I think she's probably innocent and made a lot of really dumb decisions.
    I think she was just young and dumb. My sister is that way. I'm always in awe of how idiotic some of her decisions have been, but some people are just like that. For example, she decided to smoke a joint in front of a cop one night. Duuuuuuh. 

• Options
    Swazzle said:
    I think she was just young and dumb. My sister is that way. I'm always in awe of how idiotic some of her decisions have been, but some people are just like that. For example, she decided to smoke a joint in front of a cop one night. Duuuuuuh. 
    Oh I definitely agree. I don't think she understood how serious things were until it was too late.

But seriously, NEVER talk to the cops (especially in a different country, in a language you aren't fluent in) without a lawyer! Even if you're innocent.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards