Snarky Brides
Options

Music choice rant

People, if we ask you to choose a song you'd like to hear at the reception, DON'T write 'I like all kinds of music, but don't play any hard rock' ! Especially if you know really well that FI and me are both listening to said kind of music and you actually mean metal (which we also listen to). 
I asked you if you'd like to hear a specific song, and didn't ask you to exclude entire genres and if you don't like metal or hard rock, you certainly don't like all kinds of music! 

Why can't everyone just pick one song they like? I don't snark on the music you request or listen to regularly either. 

Re: Music choice rant

• Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Uh oh! I did this on our rsvp cards too and have yet to read what people sent back. People are going to be disappointed if that's the case lol. How hard is it to pick a favorite song?
  • Options
    This seems like something minor to snark about. So they like different music than you? Big deal. You asked- they answered - and you don't have to take all of their suggestions.
  • Options
    icecreamS04icecreamS04 member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2014
    abbyj700 said:
    This seems like something minor to snark about. So they like different music than you? Big deal. You asked- they answered - and you don't have to take all of their suggestions.
    I don't have a problem with anyone liking a different kind of music than I do, I have a problem with people who are not able to answer the  rather simple question "What song do you want to hear?" .
  • Options
    People, if we ask you to choose a song you'd like to hear at the reception, DON'T write 'I like all kinds of music, but don't play any hard rock' ! Especially if you know really well that FI and me are both listening to said kind of music and you actually mean metal (which we also listen to). 
    I asked you if you'd like to hear a specific song, and didn't ask you to exclude entire genres and if you don't like metal or hard rock, you certainly don't like all kinds of music! 

Why can't everyone just pick one song they like? I don't snark on the music you request or listen to regularly either. 
    FI and I love the absolute crap out of music.  This crap is a huge pet peeve we share.  There are amazing artists and crappy performers with all genres.  For instance rap- I can't say I like rap because people think of shit like vanilla ice or whoeverthefuck talks fast and calls it music nowadays, when I really mean that Saul Williams is a fucking genius.  Or I can't say I enjoy electronic music because then people think of that stupid wub wub music when I really mean Big Gigantic.

I hate it when people hear one bad artist from a genre and then think all of it is crap.  Any genre of music can be done well by a talented musician, it pisses me off when people won't listen to a certain artist just because they decided the whole genre is bad based off one song they hated hearing on the radio.
  • Options
    I wouldn't have an answer, either. I like all kinds of music. Just play a random mix of music. I don't care what songs get played or don't get played.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I was going to do this, didn't, and now kind of wish I had. 
    But choosing a song isn't a requirement to politely RSVP. (Meal choice might be, but music? Not so much.) If they're doing their best to get things back to you promptly and didn't leave you guessing as to their dinner preference/restrictions (if applicable), that's all you can really demand. 
    Just go through the requests that sound cool/appropriate to you and do those. You don't have to play everything submitted, you know. I've been to weddings where the DJ takes requests during the event -- I usually dislike that because you end up with random sound gaps and somebody invariably wants a super-inappropriate or jarring song. At least the weird stuff is getting weeded out in advance!
  • Options
    I can't name a generally appropriate song. Heck, I can't even think of one. Example, right now I have Bathory's "Equimanthorn" off "Under The Sign Of The Black Mark" playing. People probably don't really want my actual lists. Since I wouldn't be below listing "Would You Love A Monster Man" and backing it up by the fact the band has won EuroVision.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards